lightbulb model

max

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a very convincing "incandescent" light bulb but the main problem I see is that you should be using fluorescent bulbs to save on energy and protect the environment. Come on people! Global warming? Every little bit helps... even in 3D.

;)

-vern

Looks good!

I agree about the shadow. It does look too dark. Did you use two layers of patches for the glass? I don't think that is necessary in this case.

I also think that you should explore with caustics for this model, those always look cool refracting through glass.

Double thick mesh for the glass is a good question. Think about it this way... from a general view one single mesh would be good enough... but then you take into account the direction of the normals... should they face out or in? It would depend on how realistic it needs to be.

My first guess is this model DOES have thickness to the glass... but that effect could also be the refraction caused by viewing the "edges". Hard to tell. If you end up with 50 of these suckers... lose the thickness... save on patch count.

I have seen other 3D light bulbs that are not convincing because they lack thickness. In real life no matter how thin everything has thickness.

The other question I have as far as realism is in regards to what type of light bulb this is? Obviously it doesn't have the "white powder" on the inside (to diffuse the light, not to get high with at a disco). So this would be some kind of "specialty" bulb? You want a challenge... create an incandescent bulb with the milky white transluscence of the inner coating showing through. ;)

Anyway... it looks great... even if it is killing the environment...

;)

p.s. Actually a fluorescent bulb would take longer to model... so it would use more energy... maybe in this case incandescent is better.

-vern