Hash, Inc. Forums

Kitchen

ha! i´m making a kitchen by myself right now, and i noticed you did the sink exactly the same way i did it..... and you also have the problem that the normals of the five-point-patches at the top of the sink flip randomly without no reason... i figured out that i just have to correct them every time you add some splines to the model, even it´s not connected to the sink...

but very nicely done, your kitchen is a bit more complex than mine, more a reduced 70´s-design kitchen. i´ll show it when it´s done...

Yes, very nice start there.

I started a while ago doing my whole ground floor

and found this to be inspirational and will dig out those files

and get going again on it.

Looking forward to seeing some textures indeed.

Nice!

Thanks.

and you also have the problem that the normals of the five-point-patches at the top of the sink flip randomly without no reason...

It renders fine so i'm not worried about it.

When you do mechanical modeling like this, do you peak all the lines and tweak the bias handles? If so....

Is there a way to set peak on all the time for mechanical modeling?

George

Not really sure. I adjust peaks and opens splines as I build.

Yes, very nice start there.

I started a while ago doing my whole ground floor

and found this to be inspirational and will dig out those files

and get going again on it.

Looking forward to seeing some textures indeed.

Thanks, and I am starting on the bathroom now. So as soon as its done I will post again.

Nice modeling! you just need to get that lighting right, which I'm sure you will.

We're working on a project at my day job that required hiring an outside 3D guy to do a kitchen and conference room. unfortunately they didn't ask for my input and hired a 3DSmax guy. It's coming out fine, but if we ever get another project like this I'm recommending AM so I can post a job offer here.

Very nice. This model is just begging for the HAMR treatment! Using WebHAMR, you could have a real-time walkthrough.

I think when its done we are doing a walk through. For now its for selecting different wood grains, marbles and trim choices.

Your kitchen looks incredible!!!

However the lighting does not do it justice so I took the liberties to lighten the pic up to really see what your kitchen design looks like.

All I did was add some brightness and contrast in Paintshop Pro 9.

Here's a brighter look at your outstanding work!!

kitchenaoC02.jpg

George

• Admin

Very nice! I love your economy of spline. I'm sure that helped bring the patch count considerably.

The only place that looks a bit odd to my eye is around the windows which I assume you carefully planned.

The wireframes aren't zoomed in enough to reveal your method there.

I agree with Holmes that this project would work really well as a HAMR walkthrough.

Heres another update. I think the more i finish, the more i notice it needs. Still need to start decorating after i finish the models. Here is a closer look at the window. And your right, I have a way to create walls so no matter what I need, doors or windows, the are just a click away. If your interested I'll show you how.

newstuff.jpg

1. Start with a 2 point spline.

2. Extrude it down four times.

3. Extrude across 3 times.

4. Scale the center 2 splines outward.

5. Extrude the right side out 4 more times.

6. Select the pline i have highlighted and press "k" to break the spline.

7. Do the same to the door space.

8. In top view select it all then extrude.

9. This is what you should have so far.

10. Select the inside of the window. Extrude it 1 time. Then position it on top of the original selected points.

11. With out releasing the selection. Scale it inwards like shown. Remember to scale in all 3 axis.

12. This is a top shot of the window now.

13. After using this technique on the door you should have the pic shown.

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

• Admin

Thanks for posting that mini-tutorial. I reminds me of the ol' classic 'make a window' tutorial by Jeff Cantin. :)

Okay... correct me where I'm wrong here...

It appears for the staggered windows along the stairwell you continued with this idea but adjusted the adjacent windows vertically.

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying that a bit...

I'm not trying to distract you from your work but I'm always interested in the process.

You have a pretty good level of detail for the simplicity in splines.

Do you have a current patch count you can share with us?

Oh, wow! Maybe you could add some foliage and grass around the exterioir, or maybe your going for simplicity. Either way it looks amazing!

Maybe you could have a whole finished movie where the camera goes through the whole house. ^^

• 1 month later...
OK. Here is a WOW from me too :)

The radiosity still does not do justice though. You need to gamma correct the final render. See attachment and see my tutorial on Tone Correction.

That will definitely help a ton. I printed out the tutorial and am starting to experiment. I'll repost as soon as I get somewhere.

Thanks

Shane

One more Big WOW coming up! One little thing that bothers me slightly is the wood grain on the vanity units. Normally the drawer fronts would have the grain running horizontally and the the grain on the framework would run in the direction of the longest span. It is a matter of economy and strength mostly but also takes into account the tendency of wood to warp. Like I said, it is a minor point at the moment. I love the glass wall and the radiosity! So here is that wow:

WOW! :D

Oh! One more thing bothers me.

Your name. Noober? I don't think so.

Well done, Shane! :)

Shane, would you make a small tutorial for us real 'Noobs" on a radiosity primer please. I know there are posts on the forum about Rad, but a specific example like your bathroom scene would rock n' roll. Oh god, I feel it coming...I can't seem to stop it....she's gonna blow........

WOW!

Whew! :blush:

Thanks

Eric