Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Getting Started

THS

I'm a high school teacher and my students are about to start The Art of Animaiton Master. This is my second attempt with a class - last year we got a little frustrated but we are giving it another try!

After showing them the demo, they were really excited. Before we get started on the exercises, I'd like to let them create and animate the vase they saw in the demo. Are there any instructions for this? I've seen the demo done in person and it sold me on the simplicity of the software. However, after trying it myself - nothing works and suddenly it does not seem so simple!

I understand the importance of doing the exercises in the book - this just seems like a good warm-up to get them hooked!

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Demo was not intended as a instructional video so you are going to be missing some hot key strokes. As people get to know the software there are hot keys which are faster then using the pull down windows. So you do not see all the things he is keying in as he is working. So it will be hard for you to find out what he is doing so I really suggest you stick with the manual for your class. As you go through it and pick up some of these time saving hot keys you will find it alot easier to re produce the demo. The demo is real it is really that easy and fast to work in AM but he knows all the tricks and has done this for years!

I'm a high school teacher and my students are about to start The Art of Animaiton Master. This is my second attempt with a class - last year we got a little frustrated but we are giving it another try!

After showing them the demo, they were really excited. Before we get started on the exercises, I'd like to let them create and animate the vase they saw in the demo. Are there any instructions for this? I've seen the demo done in person and it sold me on the simplicity of the software. However, after trying it myself - nothing works and suddenly it does not seem so simple!

I understand the importance of doing the exercises in the book - this just seems like a good warm-up to get them hooked!

Thanks!

Doing a quick vase animation is very easy.

Create a quick model of a vase by using the lathe tool. In a new model window, you create an outline of a vase. select just the end cp and hit the lathe tool.

vase_1.jpg

vase_2.jpg

Then save the model by right clicking in the model window and saving.

start a new action and choose the vase as the model to use for the action.

vase_3.jpg

vase_4.jpg

Click on muscle mode.

vase_5.jpg

Make sure the timeline is active.

drag the timeline a few frames ahead and select a few cp's of the vase and give them a tug (if you turn the magnet tool on it pulls much cleaner).

vase_6.jpg

move the timeline bar a little more and move the same cp's you have selected or grab some others.

vase_7.jpg

That's it. play it back and you'll have a dancing vase in no time.

vase.mov

It's not great but it's a quick animation of a vase. If you put a little more time into it, you could get a pretty decent dancing vase.

George

• Admin

Hey George that's some great information. :)

When I need to test something simple in A:M I find I often resort to creating a crude little vase to work with. It seems that demo effected me too.

It should be noted that the steps from Greg's do work so I'm not sure exactly what went wrong with your attempt.

I've frame by framed through Greg's demo before.

When you say 'Nothing' works... thats a bit too general. Perhaps you can provide more information.

Work through George's example and ask questions here.

You'll be lathing vases in no time. :)

Greg's experience does show clearly in the demo and his considerable ability makes creating, texturing, boning and animating the vase look easy. Trust me it is but there are some pitfalls you'll want to avoid as you increase your own skill. There are also a few steps that won't work if not properly considered. For instance, when Greg drags and drops a texture onto a selected Group if you accidentally unselect the Group as you Drag and Drop the texture won't stick to the vase. Greg instinctively knows this, he avoids releasing the Group and the texture sticks. Another way to do this would be to create and name the Group first. Greg avoids the step of Group naming by letting A:M create the Group automatically. If you release the Group it goes away. Once a texture is applied to it... it stays.

Lathing is often misunderstood as well if you are not in the Front View.

While its possible to lathe in ways other than the left side of the Y axis in the front view most A:M users use that location exclusively as it gives them more control and produces results that are expected.

Work through George's tutorial and ask questions.

If you can identify areas where Greg's demo isn't clear we'll add those in too.

Good luck!