Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Face setup 2008

KenH

I'm not sure what you are talking about Nancy. To me, it looks as though the sneer pose is working in the image you posted.

As for the other problem, I don't know, you are the only one that seems to have this problem.

I don't know what you're talking about - moving the sneer null on squetchy sam doesn't appear to do anything in 15b.

The image I posted above was after trying a multitude of things (turning things on/off, & MOVING OTHER NULLS, bones, switches) to try and get the sneer slider to have some affect - But eventually the sneer null got misparented in the pws hierarchy.

I have never had this happen to me in 13s or before. It has happened only in 14c and 15b.

I doubt I'm the only one who has or will run into this problem. Surely you don't think I am deliberately dragging stuff in the pws? The hierarchy gets messed up after some sequence of trying stuff.

Why aren't you guys using and supporting 15b?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come down Nancy, all I'm saying is you seem to be the only one with the reparenting issue. I'm not accusing you of anything. This is an issue with AM, not the rig. Send in a report.

As for the image, the sneer null IS translated and the face mesh IS in the position of the sneer. See my clip I posted in my previous post.

I don't have v15, so I can't test it.

Come down Nancy, all I'm saying is you seem to be the only one with the reparenting issue. I'm not accusing you of anything. This is an issue with AM, not the rig. Send in a report.

As for the image, the sneer null IS translated and the face mesh IS in the position of the sneer. See my clip I posted in my previous post.

I don't have v15, so I can't test it.

I have sent in a report - a long time ago.

I did translate the sneer null - it does NOTHING in 15

And why don't you have 15?

Yes, based on the movie David posted, the sneer thing does appear to be a v15 issue.

i can't really send in a report though, because I have no idea what the problem is, and I doubt anyone at Hash knows this rig well enough to know the problem either.

As a work around, I just opened the sneer right and sneer left poses and translate the nostril_right and nostril_left geom bones up a bit. Seems to work OK. I rarely used the sneer pose in TWO anyway.

If you MUST know Nancy, I'm not going to spend $50 on software that is going to expire and I can no longer support (for the people who bought the cd). So in order to do that, I would need to pay $300 for the cd, which I'm not ready to spend. $300 is 3 years of the old upgrade, which I didn't have a problem spending. So who knows when I'll decide to upgrade. At this point, David and I do most of our work in v13t, so to not to neglect other users who have not upgrade, for their own reasons. David already drop support on v11 and v12 so we have one version, which works in v13t and v14c.

And, if it works in v13t and v14c, but doesn't in v15, then it's an issue with AM (something has changed).

Alright, if you have v15b, here's a test file you can use to hopefully eliminate some possibilities. The Zip has a v13t Project file that has just enough of Sam to check the Sneer Poses. I stripped out everything that wasn't necessary, so maybe it will help pinpoint the problems.

In the Project, there is an Action that should raise both nostrils to their upper limits at about frame 20, lower both nostrils back to their origins at frame 40, raise the left nostril to its' upper limit at frame 49 and raise the right nostril to its' upper limit at frame 59.

See if this cut-down version of the Sneer setup gives you the same problems as the full rig gave you with the Sneer controls. First, scrub through the Action...if that works, manually move the Sneer controls and see if that works as well.

I'm hoping it has the same problems so that we can isolate it, but my bet is that it won't be that easy to track down.

Sneer_test_04_26_2008_Project.zip

Here's part of the confusion (and what I now just noticed in the full SAM model, is also happening):

It appears that the influence of the sneer null movement on the CP's is stuck at the extreme. Yet the null is at it's "rest" position.

When I open the action (or any new action) - the nose is initialized fully sneered (on frame 0). Moving the sneer null does nothing further.

Probably something works differently with expressions in ver15b.

sneertest.jpg

Here's part of the confusion (and what I now just noticed in the full SAM model, is also happening):

It appears that the influence of the sneer null movement on the CP's is stuck at the extreme. Yet the null is at it's "rest" position.

When I open the action (or any new action) - the nose is initialized fully sneered (on frame 0). Moving the sneer null does nothing further.

That works in our favor, Nancy! It means to me that the problem is probably in the Expression...at least that's where I'm leaning. The Expression that I think is having the problem is in the "Animation_Controls/Face_underlying_controls/face_setup/face_setup_Expressions_DO_NOT_TOUCH" Pose. On the "nostril_base_left_geom" (the same thing is also on the "nostril_base_right_geom" bone), the following Expression is what I think needs to be checked:

If(..|..|..|..|nostril_left_Y_translation_calc.Transform.Scale.Z<..>

What this says is that: If the nostril 'Y' translation caused by the scale of the "nostril_left_Y_translation_calc" bone is less than the 'Y' translation limit, the 'Y' translation equals the scale of the "nostril_left_Y_translation_calc" bone, otherwise the 'Y' translation is the 'Y' translation limit.

That works in our favor, Nancy! It means to me that the problem is probably in the Expression...at least that's where I'm leaning. The Expression that I think is having the problem is in the "Animation_Controls/Face_underlying_controls/face_setup/face_setup_Expressions_DO_NOT_TOUCH" Pose. On the "nostril_base_left_geom" (the same thing is also on the "nostril_base_right_geom" bone), the following Expression is what I think needs to be checked:

What this says is that: If the nostril 'Y' translation caused by the scale of the "nostril_left_Y_translation_calc" bone is less than the 'Y' translation limit, the 'Y' translation equals the scale of the "nostril_left_Y_translation_calc" bone, otherwise the 'Y' translation is the 'Y' translation limit.

This could also mean that the "calc" bones could be not scaling correctly. The following bones should be at 100% on their 'Z' scaling at "0" on the Timeline in the test Project:

nostrils_move_with_lip_corners_scaler

nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_2s_scaler

nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_1s_scaler

auto_controllers_base

The following values should be on the other scaling bones' 'Z' scaling:

nostril_Y_translation_limit_scaler: .45

right_sneer_calc: 0

left_sneer_calc: 0

nostril_left_Y_translation_calc: 0

nostril_right_Y_translation_calc: 0

Hope that helps.

Thanks David. That definitely helped. But...

Ummm...ummm...lemme see...how shall I put this?...

I am a very firm believer of the K.I.S.S principle. (Keep it Stupidily Simple or more rudely: Keep it Simple, Stupid)

And I definitely subscribe to the philosophy of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I will spend hours upon hours trying to figure out how to get away with the minimal amount of effort on my part. That's how stupidly simple I am.

However, luckily in this case, I could easily see that for my slimy Sneery purposes, having the Sneer poses translate and rotate the nose/nostril geometry bones to produce a sneer would be plenty good enough. No expressions required.

I must admit Squetchy Sam has the most beautiful, unforgetable sneer I've ever seen - so smooth, so fluid, so ethereally sublime. However, it's not seductive enough to entice me into looking at Expressions.

Thanks again. The Simple Squetchy Sam nose model was a big help.

Ummm...ummm...lemme see...how shall I put this?...

I am a very firm believer of the K.I.S.S principle. (Keep it Stupidily Simple or more rudely: Keep it Simple, Stupid)

However, luckily in this case, I could easily see that for my slimy Sneery purposes, having the Sneer poses translate and rotate the nose/nostril geometry bones to produce a sneer would be plenty good enough. No expressions required.

I understand, Nancy. The reason it got so complicated was to ease installation. Doing the setup the way I did it means that the end user wouldn't have to open and edit Poses, they could set things up using Pose sliders. It used to be a much simpler system, but, people complained that it was too hard to set up.

So, whether it is kept simple or made complicated, you are never going to please everybody.

--------------------------

EDIT

--------------------------

The underlying problem with v15b may pop up somewhere else, you never know. I made it easier to track down, but I can't troubleshoot it using the versions I have...I don't mind helping though.

If the Sneer Poses are at 0% and the "calc bones" are at the correct 'Z' scale, then the way that the Expression is being handled is where the problem is.

The "calc" bones in the test Project should be:

The following bones should be at 100% on their 'Z' scaling at "0" on the Timeline in the test Project:

nostrils_move_with_lip_corners_scaler

nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_2s_scaler

nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_1s_scaler

auto_controllers_base

nostril_Y_translation_limit_scaler: .45

right_sneer_calc: 0

left_sneer_calc: 0

The Expression that drives the Sneer Pose for the left side in the "Animation_Controls/Face_underlying_controls/face_setup/face_setup_Expressions_DO_NOT_TOUCH" Pose on the "nostril_base_left_geom" (the same thing is also on the "nostril_base_right_geom" bone) is:

nostril_left_Y_translation_calc.Transform.Scale.Z*254,..|..|..|..|nostril_Y_tran

slation_limit_scaler.Transform.Scale.Z*254)

Which translates to:

If the nostril 'Y' translation caused by the scale of the "nostril_left_Y_translation_calc" bone is less than the 'Y' translation limit, the 'Y' translation equals the scale of the "nostril_left_Y_translation_calc" bone, otherwise the 'Y' translation is the 'Y' translation limit.

So, if someone checks whether the Sneer Poses are at "0" and that the "calc" bones are at the right scale on the 'Z' axis, it can be narrowed down so the Hash programmers can check how that Expression is being handled.

Because both you and Mark have worked so hard and helped so many of us, I'll play the role of seeing eye dog - who unfortunately happens to be totally blind to working with expressions.

The sneer poses are set at 0. I'm not sure how to look at the z-scale value of those bones to see if they are set corrrectly - they are hidden in the action. In addition, something else is also funny between 14c and 15b. There is a difference in which bones show up in the action.

You realize this is a crazy making situation ? Something, unfortunately I am perfectly, pathologically able to be drawn into. You don't have 15. That sends the message that you (the squetch rig) doesn't support 15. Or Hash. Or future projects in ver 15 and beyond ... which implies we would have to find workarounds. And if we all didn't subscribe to future versions ...well then...eventually there would be no more A:M...and ...

From what I gather, Hash doesn't have a lot of resources to devote to tracking down problems. Especially from those who don't subscribe to the current version. And maybe for even those who do.

I have no doubt this "expressions" problem stuff will show up further down the line, somewhere else. This is an exercise in futility to send in a report. ESPECIALLY if I send in a report. And especially if there is a workaround. Talk about K.I.S.S! My reports seem to have the K.I.S.S. of Death permanently attached, and slide straight to the IGNORE from the Looney Bin.

14c.jpg

15b.jpg

Because both you and Mark have worked so hard and helped so many of us, I'll play the role of seeing eye dog - who unfortunately happens to be totally blind to working with expressions.

Thanks, Nancy.

The sneer poses are set at 0. I'm not sure how to look at the z-scale value of those bones to see if they are set corrrectly - they are hidden in the action. In addition, something else is also funny between 14c and 15b. There is a difference in which bones show up in the action.

I took all of the hiding Poses out of the example, so you should be able to just unhide them in the PWS for them to show up in the Action if they are hidden.

Select a "calc" bone, look in its' properties in the Action and see if the scaling on the 'Z' axis matches the list. Then hit "J" to hide that bone so you can select the next "calc" bone to check that bones' 'Z' scaling, and so on.

You realize this is a crazy making situation?

Yes, I do.

Something, unfortunately I am perfectly, pathologically able to be drawn into. You don't have 15. That sends the message that you (the squetch rig) doesn't support 15. Or Hash. Or future projects in ver 15 and beyond ... which implies we would have to find workarounds. And if we all didn't subscribe to future versions ...well then...eventually there would be no more A:M...and ...

There's more to it than that, Nancy. I can't post a full answer to that in a post to the forum, unfortunately. Nothing is ever "black and white" and everyone's situation is different. To assume why I do things without asking me directly, and then calling me out in an open forum where my response might be deleted will not get an answer...or at least an answer that will quickly disappear. You can always PM or e-mail me if you want to discuss it.

From what I gather, Hash doesn't have a lot of resources to devote to tracking down problems.

Especially from those who don't subscribe to the current version. And maybe for even those who do.

No they don't, and I'm not asking them to do that. I'm trying to help those that do have the current version even though I don't own it. I don't have to do that, but I will always help where I am able.

I have no doubt this "expressions" problem stuff will show up further down the line, somewhere else. This is an exercise in futility to send in a report. ESPECIALLY if I send in a report. And especially if there is a workaround. Talk about K.I.S.S! My reports seem to have the K.I.S.S. of Death permanently attached, and slide straight to the IGNORE from the Looney Bin.

Once we isolate it further, we'll be able to put together an even simpler test model for the Hash programmers to look at...we just need more information.

I can see from the v15 image the "nostril_left_Y_translation_calc" bone is not scaled correctly.

And if you keep insisting on bring up the fact that David and I do not have v15 and don't support it, you will not get anymore support from me!!

In 15b those values are set to 100

Okay, then that sends us to another Expression entirely.

In the "Animation_Controls/Face_underlying_controls/face_setup/face_setup_Expressions_DO_NOT_TOUCH" Pose, there is an Expression on the "nostril_left_Y_translation_calc" bone. Here's the Expression:

If((..|..|..|..|lip_upper_left_1_geom.Transform.Translate.Y*..|..|..|..|nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_1s_scaler.Transform.Scale.Z/254)+(..|..|..|..|lip_upper_left_2_geom.Transform.Translate.Y*..|..|..|..|nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_2s_scaler.Transform.Scale.Z/254)+(..|..|..|..|lip_left_corner_geom.Transform.Translate.Y*..|..|..|..|nostrils_move_with_lip_corners_scaler.Transform.Scale.Z/254)+(..|..|..|..|nostril_Y_translation_limit_scaler.Transform.Scale.Z*..|..|..|..|left_sneer_calc.Transform.Scale.Z)>0,(..|..|..|..|lip_upper_left_1_geom.Transform.Translate.Y*..|..|..|..|nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_1s_scaler.Transform.Scale.Z/254)+(..|..|..|..|lip_upper_left_2_geom.Transform.Translate.Y*..|..|..|..|nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_2s_scaler.Transform.Scale.Z/254)+(..|..|..|..|lip_left_corner_geom.Transform.Translate.Y*..|..|..|..|nostrils_move_with_lip_corners_scaler.Transform.Scale.Z/254)+(..|..|..|..|nostril_Y_translation_limit_scaler.Transform.Scale.Z*..|..|..|..|left_sneer_calc.Transform.Scale.Z),0)

What it says is:

If

(the 'Y' translation of the "lip_upper_left_1_geom" multiplied by the "nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_1s_scaler" 'Z' scaling+

the 'Y' translation of the "lip_upper_left_2_geom" multiplied by the "nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_2s_scaler" 'Z' scaling+

the 'Y' translation of the "lip_left_corner_geom" multiplied by the "nostrils_move_with_lip_corners_scaler"+

the 'Z' scaling of the "nostril_Y_translation_limit_scaler" multiplied by the 'Z' scaling of the "left_sneer_calc")

is greater than "0"

then use those values

otherwise the value is "0"

We don't need some of that Expression to test this, so, I've edited it down to this:

If((..|..|..|..|nostril_Y_translation_limit_scaler.Transform.Scale.Z*..|..|..|..|left_sneer_calc.Transform.Scale.Z)>0,(..|..|..|..|nostril_Y_translation_limit_scaler.Transform.Scale.Z*..|..|..|..|left_sneer_calc.Transform.Scale.Z),0)

Which now says:

If

(the 'Z' scaling of the "nostril_Y_translation_limit_scaler" multiplied by the 'Z' scaling of the "left_sneer_calc")

is greater than "0"

then use those values

otherwise the value is "0"

The updated test Project is attached...see if it does the same thing...we're narrowing it down.

----------------------

EDIT

----------------------

I forgot that I hid some of the "calc" bones, but you can still select them in the Action...sorry about that.

Sneer_test_04_27_2008_Project.zip

The value appears correctly:

(did not check the other values) and

It also appears that the face sneer nulls are operating correctly -

Really?! Hmmm, so something in that equation appears to be the problem. I'll post a couple more test Projects a little later tonight that adds back in each section of the equation so that we can isolate which one is the culprit.

Thanks, Nancy!

So, the same problem where the nostrils are at their upper limits in all of them? Or do the nostrils not move?

The z scale of the nostril y translation calc's are =100 and the nostrils don't move using the null (s)

Okay, I've got a couple of theories...here are a couple more test Projects. Do either of these work like they are supposed to?

Sneer_test_04_27_2008b_three_Projects.zip

Okay, I've got a couple of theories...here are a couple more test Projects. Do either of these work like they are supposed to?

The plus 1 no division project works

I was afraid of that...the only difference in that one is that I took any division out of the Expression equations. I'll make up a couple more tests tonight and post them later.

Okay, next set of tests. For this group of Projects I put division back into the Expression, but I applied it to different things in each. One is on a rotation, one on a translation and one on a scale. The one that caused problems before was on scaling, so that one shouldn't work. This is just to confirm whether or not the problem happens on all division in Expressions.

Sneer_test_04_27_2008_plus_1_divide_by_one_Projects.zip

None of these projects seems to work. I am opening each project and moving the sneer nulls. The pose sliders move, but the mesh doesn't do anything. I even cracked open the expressions to see what they look like, but I have never worked with expressions, so I have no idea what I'm looking at. Sorry I can't help with the expressions. What if we just use the sneer nulls to control a smartskin for each sneer pose?

This is just to confirm whether or not the problem happens on all division in Expressions.

None of them work.

How about making a project that has 2 bones (A, B) - and some simple expressions

scale a = scale b/1

translate a = translate b/1

rotate a = rotate b/1

What if we just use the sneer nulls to control a smartskin for each sneer pose?

We've already concluded that there are multiple simple workarounds that don't involve expressions for sneering control. And probably other things as well.

We're trying to isolate the problem to see just what is going wrong in the expression. Mainly as an exercise, and to see if there is the potential to interfere with other parts of the rig.

At least that's what I think we're doing.

This is just to confirm whether or not the problem happens on all division in Expressions.

None of them work.

How about making a project that has 2 bones (A, B) - and some simple expressions

scale a = scale b/1

translate a = translate b/1

rotate a = rotate b/1

Okay, here's another test Project. This one has two models, one has no division in the Expressions and the other has a "divide by one" which should have no effect if everything is working right. There are two Actions, one with the model without division and one with the model with division. In both, you should be able to translate, scale and rotate the "controller" bone and the "controlled" bone should move, rotate and scale exactly like the controller.

If division doesn't work in Expressions in v15b, that will affect a lot of things. Thanks for the help, Nancy!

Expressions_division_test_04_28_2008.zip

The divide doesn't work in any of the cases.

I would have constructed my own test - however I can never figure out how to access the properties of another bone to use as an argument when creating/editing an expression.

i.e., How do you get this part of the equation to show up in the edit box (other than typing it in) ?

..|..|..|..|controller.Transform.Rotate.X/1

Here's another piece of info - in ver 15b when I try to access the right side of equation - I get a syntax error if I try to copy the statement (in the divided model)

I do not get a syntax error in 14c

I do not get a syntax error in ver15 in the no division model

The divide doesn't work in any of the cases.

Then this is the test file to send to the Hash programmers so that they can figure out what's going on with division in Expressions. We finally chased it out of its' hiding place, thanks Nancy! That is about as simple of a test as can be done, I'm thinking. Could you send a report, Nancy?

I would have constructed my own test - however I can never figure out how to access the properties of another bone to use as an argument when creating/editing an expression.

i.e., How do you get this part of the equation to show up in the edit box (other than typing it in) ?

..|..|..|..|controller.Transform.Rotate.X/1

You have to make bones accessable in the model in the Pose/Action by hitting the red thing for "show more properties". Then, you can go into the properties of each bone to select the one you want.

Thanks again, Nancy!

Hmmm....either the syntax has changed in ver 15b or the parser has changed - but I can get division to work if I enclose the numerator in parenthesis.

ie - (..|..|..|..|controller.Transform.Rotate.X)/1 works in 15b

I can hear the response now from the ficticious programmer who might work on this in a couple of months.

15bdivision.jpg

Very cool, Nancy! Way to go the extra mile!

As Mark suggested, putting the parentheses in the sneer test model would be the next test. I won't be able to get to it for a few hours, but I won't be hurt if someone beats me to it.

Nancy gets a "pat on the back" award! Nice going!

If Nancy's solution is the answer, this test version of the sneer setup should work in v15b. Test it out and let me know. If it works, I'll go through the rest of the rig to see if there are any other places that might be affected by the change in A:M.

-------------------

EDIT

-------------------

I deleted this one, the updated test is here.

The expressions aren't quite right yet

I'm getting a "missing a right parenthesis" on the nostril right Y translation calc

and I'm getting "syntax error in the expression" on the nostril left Y translation calc

The other expressions seem to be ok.

I don't know how you manage to edit these expressions - I don't think there's a monitor built yet that's wide enough to see it all. Tried bringing it into notepad and my brain along with my eyes went running from the room.

I tried editing the expressions in A:M and found it frustratingly hard - nay, impossible - to read/edit the strings without getting syntax errors

I won't be able to look at it further tonight - will try again tomorrow

The expressions aren't quite right yet

I'm getting a "missing a right parenthesis" on the nostril right Y translation calc

and I'm getting "syntax error in the expression" on the nostril left Y translation calc

The other expressions seem to be ok.

I don't know how you manage to edit these expressions - I don't think there's a monitor built yet that's wide enough to see it all. Tried bringing it into notepad and my brain along with my eyes went running from the room.

I tried editing the expressions in A:M and found it frustratingly hard - nay, impossible - to read/edit the strings without getting syntax errors

I won't be able to look at it further tonight - will try again tomorrow

I took a look at it...with the added parentheses the Expressions look like they exceed the longest allowable number of characters. So, they are cut off on the end and you can't add what would be necessary to get them to work...at least that's what it looks like.

Either the length of an Expression needs to be extended (which wouldn't help anyone using a version earlier than v15) or how Expressions handle division needs to be turned back to how it was handled in v13 & v14. Otherwise, I'll have to figure out a way to work around it.

I could change the names of a few bones to be shorter, I guess...I'll put together another test.

Okay, I shortened the names of a couple of the "calc" bones. Here's an updated possible fix Project.

-------------------

EDIT

-------------------

Thinking about it a little more, the Expression that provides the maintaining of volume during squash and stretch has division in it...it is "1/Sqrt(..|Z)". Does the squash and stretch in Squetchy Sam appear to work right in v15b?

Sneer_test_04_29_2008_possible_fix2_Project.zip