Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Face setup 2008

KenH

Okay, I shortened the names of a couple of the "calc" bones. Here's an updated possible fix Project.

Yup - That works.

I checked out the squetching whole body - looks the same in ver 14 and 15

but ...but.... (panic attack setting in)...

What happened to Torso Squetch (spine squetch) ? is it gone ? - that was basically the only squetch control I used in TWO for many, many - correction - probably every animation I did in TWO. I love the torso (spine) squetch.

The whole body squetch distorts the arms, head, feet etc while the torso (spine) squetch doesn't - its was great

Is there another way to achieve that same effect in this release? (used Sam 4/23/2008 to test). Is it somewhere else?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I shortened the names of a couple of the "calc" bones. Here's an updated possible fix Project.

Yup - That works.

I checked out the squetching whole body - looks the same in ver 14 and 15

Strange, but I'll take it. I think a number before the "/" works, but a bone doesn't.

but ...but.... (panic attack setting in)...

What happened to Torso Squetch (spine squetch) ? is it gone ? - that was basically the only squetch control I used in TWO for many, many - correction - probably every animation I did in TWO. I love the torso (spine) squetch.

The whole body squetch distorts the arms, head, feet etc while the torso (spine) squetch doesn't - its was great

Is there another way to achieve that same effect in this release? (used Sam 4/23/2008 to test). Is it somewhere else?

The spine has been greatly improved, Nancy. It is now a five position switch that has several levels of squetch built in. There's an example video showing how it works here.

----------------------------

EDIT

----------------------------

In the spine video, I used the on-character switches. If you would rather use the Pose slider, it is in the "Animation_Controls/TORSO" folder....the "spine_FK__IK__IKSQUETCH__SQUETCH__auto_SQUETCH" Pose.

Here's a test version of Squetchy Sam that has been updated to fix the Expressions problems in v15b. All of the division problems were in the "face_setup_Expressions" Pose...which affected the mouth fan bones and the nose. So, the "face_setup_Expressions" Pose is changed and the names of three bones used in calculation. The bones changed are:

"nostrils_move_with_lip_corners_scaler" is now "nostrils_with_lip_corners_scaler"

"nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_2s_scaler" is now "nostrils_with_upper_lip_2s_scaler"

"nostrils_move_with_upper_lip_1s_scaler" is now "nostrils_with_upper_lip_1s_scaler"

Give Sam's face a thorough test. If everything works alright, I'll post a rig update tonight.

TEST_v13_Squetchy_Sam_04_28_2008b_with_sleeves_and_switches.zip

The spine has been greatly improved, Nancy. It is now a five position switch that has several levels of squetch built in. There's an example video showing how it works

Whew. Thats a relief. And very nice. And yes improved capability.

Some feedback: (NOT to be acted on - please - we monkeys can learn new ways to get the banana)

Part of the confusion was that the Torso (squetch) folder was not under the Squetch controls folder (like it use to be?) and...

When I finally found it - it was not immediately recognizable what: spine_FK__IK__IKSQUETCH__SQUETCH__auto_SQUETCH does.

Did not realize I had to set that to 2% for IKSquetch

Maybe if the slider had said something like Spine-0:FK 1:IK 2:IKsquetch 3:FK 4:FKsquetch (or something which might make more immediate sense to people). Also seems strange that position 0, 3, 4 are FK

Give Sam's face a thorough test. If everything works alright, I'll post a rig update tonight.

It appears to work correctly, also tried lots of other stuff in the FACE

Curious: What's the reason for unhiding the eyelid bones in position 3 of FACE control ? Something other than making goofy eyelid animations?

and what's the difference between position 2 & 4?

Part of the confusion was that the Torso (squetch) folder was not under the Squetch controls folder (like it use to be?)

It's a tough call, because those are also the FK/IK settings of the spine, not just the squetch. Now it's both in one five setting Pose.

Maybe if the slider had said something like Spine-0:FK 1:IK 2:IKsquetch 3:FK 4:FKsquetch (or something which might make more immediate sense to people). Also seems strange that position 0, 3, 4 are FK

"0" is FK, "1" is IK without any squetch, "2" is IK with mid-section squetching on, "3" is sort of an FK (it's really all bones being independent that squetch to reach the control targets...which is also sort of IK) and "4" is IK with auto-squetch on the stomach and mid-section. The improved auto hips does a lot of interacting with the various IK settings of the spine...which includes the "3" setting.

Hmmm....I though the spine pose was pretty recognizable. I think the colon : can not be used in the name of a relationship/pose. Adding numbers to the name will just make it longer

Why is it strange that 3 is FK? It's grouped with the squetch settings. I'm not sure if 4 is actually FK, it just doesn't have the hips lower controller (the nulls do what the hips lower controller does). David would have to clarify that one.

Repositioning the setups of spine pose would mean a total redo of the pose. Constraints work in conjunction with the ON/OFF positions of the slider, which was a major headache to get working correctly. It would also mean redoing the switch capabilities, which was also a royal pain. The auto hips pose would also need to be redone as well. Each setup, except FK, has a different setup. The pose works in conjunction with the spine pose, so when auto hips is ON, it will go to the correct auto hips slider position (it's automatic), all you need to do is turn it ON and Off. But you must turn it ON in FK spine (0 on the spine pose).

It appears to work correctly, also tried lots of other stuff in the FACE

Cool, I'll get the update posted sometime tonight. Thanks, Nancy!

Curious: What's the reason for unhiding the eyelid bones in position 3 of FACE control ? Something other than making goofy eyelid animations?

You can do a lot more than goofy eyelid stuff...although you can do that too. It allows you to change the shape of the eyelids to get a less "doll-like" look to the eyelid movement and also makes it possible to get extreme cartoon movement in the face. I'll hunt down some examples if it will help.

and what's the difference between position 2 & 4?

In position "4", the "Eye_right_socket_base_geom" and "Eye_left_socket_base_geom" are revealed...making it possible to move each entire eye socket. There are videos showing the eye controls here and here.

Hmmm....I though the spine pose was pretty recognizable. I think the colon (:) can not be used in the name of a relationship/pose. Adding numbers to the name will just make it longer

Why is it strange that 3 is FK? It's grouped with the squetch settings. I'm not sure if 4 is actually FK, it just doesn't have the hips lower controller (the nulls do what the hips lower controller does). David would have to clarify that one.

Repositioning the setups of spine pose would mean a total redo of the pose. Constraints work in conjunction with the ON/OFF positions of the slider, which was a major headache to get working correctly. It would also mean redoing the switch capabilities, which was also a royal pain. The auto hips pose would also need to be redone as well. Each setup, except FK, has a different setup. The pose works in conjunction with the spine pose, so when auto hips is ON, it will go to the correct auto hips slider position (it's automatic), all you need to do is turn it ON and Off. But you must turn it ON in FK spine (0 on the spine pose).

MARK - Did you not see:

Some feedback: (NOT to be acted on - please - we monkeys can learn new ways to get the banana)

It was only feedback from how a user (who prefers short names, and doesn't like reading long lists) experienced the interface at first glance, and it was not meant as a request for any changes.

This lazy user doesn't like to have to think when animating. But this lazy user can learn where things are eventually, and then not have to do any dreaded thinking.

In position "4", the "Eye_right_socket_base_geom" and "Eye_left_socket_base_geom" are revealed...making it possible to move each entire eye socket. There are videos showing the eye controls here and here.

Oh yes - very fun, very good. And I repeat:

Hee hee - found the difference - I foresee more goofy eye animations in the future