Hash, Inc. Forums

Thumbs Up! Or… down, or… straight.

rusty

Hi,

No matter what the rig – this time it’s the Squetch rig -- I’ve always had a problem with how I model the thumb. TS2 allowed you to rotate the thumb determining the way it would close in on the hand/fist so you could pretty much make it work correctly. Squetch doesn’t so… any suggestions? Should it be modeled even with the hand, angled down slightly or angled down a lot… and at what angle should you rotate the thumb. Looking at examples… existing models… some from TWO… their all different. The way the rig works must have something to do with how you model the thumb.

So… any suggestions?

Cheers,

Rusty

Hi,

No matter what the rig – this time it’s the Squetch rig -- I’ve always had a problem with how I model the thumb. TS2 allowed you to rotate the thumb determining the way it would close in on the hand/fist so you could pretty much make it work correctly. Squetch doesn’t so… any suggestions? Should it be modeled even with the hand, angled down slightly or angled down a lot… and at what angle should you rotate the thumb. Looking at examples… existing models… some from TWO… their all different. The way the rig works must have something to do with how you model the thumb.

So… any suggestions?

Cheers,

Rusty

the squetchrig allows that too... you have to find the bone called "right_finger_thumb_1_IKFK"... just rotate that bone until you´re happy with the thumb-rotation...

Well, that's not the right way to do it. It should to be modeled correctly. The installation rig will fit to any modeling you have. So, my suggestion would be to find real life hand images for reference and model the hand accordingly.

Like Mark said; the rig will fit any model. If you follow Zundel's modeling techniques, he likes the thumb at 45 degrees down. I think next time I'll keep the whole hand flat so I don't have to manipulate the rig too much.

Hi,

Thanks for the tips! The first thing I did was look at real thumbs. Anyway, I'll need to play with it because seemingly depending on the position the thumb is modeled in (even though it is modeled true to life for that position) I seem to get different results when I attempt to move it -- and I sat here for 5 minutes trying to explain what I'm seeing and I can't -- I would need to post pictures. Just thought there was an easy answer I was over looking. And if I get desperate I'll post pictures.

Cheers,

Rusty