Hash, Inc. Forums

Two questions

Simon Edmondson

Two question really.

I'm working in V11 temporarily and I imported some images ( jpegs ) to use as rotos. They show in the PWS, they show when rendered or when the individual file is called up from the PWS but, when I try to open it in the view it only shows up as a white rectangle. Is there a way out of this?

WXP on 1 Ghz machine with 512Mb of Ram

I could try it in V14 or V15 but I'd like to fix it now.

Second question is more general. I am working on my own animation which I hope to put out to festivals if it is good enough afterwards.A part of the story would involve people passing a shop window. They wouldn't be a integral part of the narrative just there to show the passage of time. Would it be OK to use the figures that come with the AM CD ( I was thinking specifically of Sir Nigel and LadyG ) or would I have to seek specific permission ?

Thank you for your patience.

simon

If you use .tga Targa files you will be able to see it I think. If you have photo editing software open files and save as and save as targa then delete teh jpegs and import the targas but if it renders fine why do you feel you need to see the actual picture in PWS it's so small I have trouble figuring which picture is which so you file names to keep track of them.

About the models under file info it should say how made them you and hopefully an E-mail address or forum name so you can contact and ask they are generally intended for non profit use only but it's an individual thing you need to describe what you intend to do with them and say if this is for porofit or not.

• Hash Fellow

If pics show up as white when you are trying to apply them as a rotoscope or decal, that may be a video card memory problem.

-try rebooting

-try getting the latest drivers for your video carad

-try a smaller image file.

About the models under file info it should say how made them you and hopefully an E-mail address or forum name so you can contact and ask they are generally intended for non profit use only but it's an individual thing you need to describe what you intend to do with them and say if this is for porofit or not.

Mark

Thank you for your reply. i am trying to use the images as rotoscopes within the modeling views. That is where they show up as white rectangles. The same thing happens with V13 I just found out. I think the other responde suggests its a video card problem. I shall rescale the files.

For the models: I would love to be paid for the piece but the reality s it would be unlikely to happen, so its for non profit only at tis time.

regards

simon

If pics show up as white when you are trying to apply them as a rotoscope or decal, that may be a video card memory problem.

-try rebooting

-try getting the latest drivers for your video carad

Robert

Thank you for your response. I shall try them all.

regards

simon

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a smaller image file but the problem remains. However, I have noticed a curious anomoly and wonder ig that might have some bearing on the problem ?

I downscaled the file in Photoshop and saved it out as a level 2 jpeg file( with 10 as highest quality, 1 as lowest ).

The file sizes varied between 75k and 25k, as measured by Windows X/P within 'my computer'.

When those same files are imported into the project Workspace they show up as being ten times larger, 750k rather than 75 ?

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thank you in advance

simon

I think AM uncompresses them. You want to scale the resolution of the image down, not the quality.

Thank you for your reply.

Pardon my ignorance but, how do I go about doing that ?

The original images were 1550 x 3300 ( approx ) and I scaled them down to 380 x 825 ( approx ), then selected lower quality.

Would it be better to use a different file format, rather than jpeg ?

regards

simon

You did scale the resolution, so that's probably not the problem.

It's most likely a video card issue. Did you update you video card drivers as suggested by robcat2075?

You could also try setting your real-time drivers to opengl or direct3d in the global tab of the options menu.

It's most likely a video card issue. Did you update you video card drivers as suggested by robcat2075?

You could also try setting your real-time drivers to opengl or direct3d in the global tab of the options menu.

I'm not sure about the drivers as its an old computer which was given to me awhile back. I will try it on the newer machine later today. Likewise with the opengl/Direct 3d suggestion.

Thank you for your help.

simon