Hash, Inc. Forums

Platypus House riverscape

In a little house by the river lives Platypus....or he might if I get that far :) The idea's been in my idea's folder for some time, an Australian take on Wind in the Willows.

initial sketch

PlatypusHouse.jpg

and the first start.

riverbank0.jpg

The tree's from the Hash cd, but since it's one of mine I won't feel guilty. It's a stand-in until I build the cottage and some of the surrounding scene.

this looks nice so far...that tree is from you? it´s definetly the best tree on the cd, i used it on my latest 3d job, just finished it this weekend... should i feel guilty using it? if you wish i do ;)

i thought you might wanna see it, so here´s the image, the original rendered size was 2000x1500 px, took 20 hours.... ouch...

thanks for that tree... :)

lm_springmotiv_final_low.jpg

That green-on-black sketch has an almost Dr. Suess quality about it. Something like that would make a dandy fairy-tale setting.

Very cool conzept and nice progress.

I am seeing forward to it :)

----------

And I like the guy with the lawnmover too :)

You used an image to control length of the grass?

*Fuchur*

small update

riverbanA.jpg

Freshest:you're welcome, nice still.. and nice website

Hey Robert good to hear from you :)

Phatso/Fuchur: Aw shucks

Eric: No pressure :P

Edit:Small changes not worth a new post so I just bumped the image

Another quick update. With deadlines approaching I've been cannibalising other projects, the cottage is a backdrop from my vastly overdue short film "Investigating Jack". How much else I get done depends on my somewhat frenetic work schedule but I feel like I'm getting there.

Render time is sitting just under seven minutes at hd resolution which makes it pretty comfortable as a backdrop for animation

riverbankB0.jpg

• Hash Fellow
Another quick update. With deadlines approaching I've been cannibalising other projects, the cottage is a backdrop from my vastly overdue short film "Investigating Jack". How much else I get done depends on my somewhat frenetic work schedule but I feel like I'm getting there.

Render time is sitting just under seven minutes at hd resolution which makes it pretty comfortable as a backdrop for animation

riverbankB0.jpg

That looks wonderful. How about some slight ripples or something to break up that water reflection?

What are the three inverted tombstone shapes that appear reflected inthe water but don't appear on the shore above?

Robcat: it's on the list to do....along with improving the grass. But I need a spare day and you can never find one of those when you need them. I have a feeling this is all I'll be able to manage. The headstones are boulders, they're there by mistake :P

Yves: I've always thought that a beautiful piece of atmosphere. Hopefully by the time I get to the end I'll manage a fraction of that :)

I think I'll have to revisit this in a week or so.

riverbankC0.jpg

Thanks Nancy, I'm pretty happy with it.

Sometime I'll have to add in the Platypus, make the house a little more lived in and add the dozen small touches that'll truly finish the image. But you know the story, images are never finished, it just becomes time to move on. :D

Looking forward to seeing what you've done.

Homeslice/Mtpeak: thanks guys

Eric: Better water will come, but not before the deadline :) ....and strangely enough, I screencaptured a lot of my worktime so that I could create a tutorial of the process...so in a couple of weeks you'll get to see it happen.

David: You're right, it's the tyranny of time that meant I didn't get to build a custom map. The centre area is rock while the sides and top should be a brown soil. I'll update it when I have some more leisure time :)