Hash, Inc. Forums

Keyframe Description

Steven547

I'm still a little lost when it comes to the keyframing terminology. When you "shift+click" the keyframe, it gives you 3 options (1: all keyframes, 2: only pre exist, etc). I'm confused as to what each of those technically mean. The video tut's I watch, show which to check, but don't necessarily give a good description as to WHY check those... Can anyone clarify/clear this up for me please? I'm starting to get the hang of the keyframes, and I think once I get a hang of those options, i'll be doing pretty good.

Thanks in advance!

Steven

• Hash Fellow
I'm still a little lost when it comes to the keyframing terminology. When you "shift+click" the keyframe, it gives you 3 options (1: all keyframes, 2: only pre exist, etc). I'm confused as to what each of those technically mean. The video tut's I watch, show which to check, but don't necessarily give a good description as to WHY check those... Can anyone clarify/clear this up for me please? I'm starting to get the hang of the keyframes, and I think once I get a hang of those options, i'll be doing pretty good.

There are a whole matrix of possibilities, which also depend on how you have the Key Bone/KeyBranch/Key model filters set.

Here are the essential basics...

KeyFrameOptionsMP4.mov

There are a whole matrix of possibilities, which also depend on how you have the Key Bone/KeyBranch/Key model filters set.

Here are the essential basics...

KeyFrameOptionsMP4.mov

Wow...that definitely helps a lot! Thank you! I'll have to watch that a few times, but I'm getting the "keyframe" technique now. Especially the part where you keyframe all the bones you want first, (all filtered channels), then you can "lock" the keyframe after that (whole model filter). Let the excitement begin again!

thank you again.

• 1 year later...

Before watching this tutorial I watched "Keyframing explained maybe" followed by "Keyframing options diagrammed".

Those were perfect - made even better (with much clarification as to why one would want to know this in the first place) by this third tutorial.

I think the hardest thing to get across when teaching a thing is not just how to do something, but WHY one would ever need to know it - context is really everything. While the first two tutorials were precise and informative, I have to admit that I was left wondering when I would need to know and actually use those selection techniques in a real world situation; and this last video provided that missing part for me.

Nice work Robcat - thank you.

• Hash Fellow
Before watching this tutorial I watched "Keyframing explained maybe" followed by "Keyframing options diagrammed".

Those were perfect - made even better (with much clarification as to why one would want to know this in the first place) by this third tutorial.

I think the hardest thing to get across when teaching a thing is not just how to do something, but WHY one would ever need to know it - context is really everything. While the first two tutorials were precise and informative, I have to admit that I was left wondering when I would need to know and actually use those selection techniques in a real world situation; and this last video provided that missing part for me.

My goal is to roll it all up into one video, rather than the feature length ordeal it is now.

Based on several people's comments I'm beginning to think you could watch them in any order and it wouldnt' be until the third that you got to that "Aha!" moment. :rolleyes:

My goal is to roll it all up into one video, rather than the feature length ordeal it is now.

Based on several people's comments I'm beginning to think you could watch them in any order and it wouldnt' be until the third that you got to that "Aha!" moment. :rolleyes:

I think that's because we learn best through context.

What I mean is: if someone were to say they were angry because someone else laughed in their presence - you would have to find out the context - was that person making fun of them or not ? before you could understand if the laughter was misplaced or if the listener misunderstood their meaning for the laughter.

Context is everything, and when it comes to learning a technical skill like this, the brain has to learn the meaning of symbols used on the layout before they can learn their appropriate usage.

Since symbolic understanding is context independent (usually) the left and right hemispheres of the brain may never really "get" the full connection and how to use a thing until they can see a practical usage for it, through example.

In your two videos and the one diagram you address the issue of filtered selections and copy/paste methods from three different angles..

1) The first video is very left brain-ish, in that it demonstrates the rules and quirks mostly.

2) The diagram suggests a practical approach to usage - but in the abstract only - think of it as a lubricant preparing the way for "understanding".

3) And then the second video gives the knowledge meaning and a real world context - giving rise to the "Ahh Haa".

I don't think it is possible to teach this information in one sitting to tell the truth - because at first you introduce a foreign idea; and this creates a need, a vacuum for context - it's that lack of meaning that sets up the student for the next stage; the "getting it (at last)" stage. So, you need to create the need before you can fill it.

I have struggled with this paradox (as an instructor) for a lifetime, and have come to the conclusion that simply informing someone that they will need "this" or "that" information, and then proceeding to give them the info, before establishing the context - in a visceral way (for them) - always results in poor retention. And to make it visceral, it has to satisfy a need; a need which fills a vacuum.

I think this three tiered approach, though messy-er than a single (movie : consolidated) teaching method is actually a better and more natural way to learn for most of us.

Those are my twenty cents on it anyway.