Hash, Inc. Forums

WIP: Goliath

Hutch

Thanks Darklimit. Gargoyles is the best cartoon of all time in my book. I have a little problem with this model if anyone has any suggestions. I couldn't make spheres work for his eyeballs so I don't know how I can make his iris work. That's why I made his eyes glow in this render rather than putting in his iris. Right now his eyeball a very oblate sphere and I had to tilt it too.

You're off to a good start, but you need to exaggerate and make his features more harsher. A bigger chin, bring those eyebrows out. Straighten out the jawline. Try to remember when modeling that this guy looks like he is carved out of rock.

Gargoyles is one of my all-time fave cartoons, it's cool to see it get the 3D treatment.

post-7-1075473423.jpg

Thanks for the advice Kricket and Zaryin. I will see what I can do to make him look a bit more chiseled. I started on his body and the wings are proving more challenging than I expected. So, does anyone have any advice on how I can rig his eyes?

Here is an updated shot of his face. I tried to make his features more pronounced. I took out the eye glow because it was washing out some of his shape. I ran an extra spline along his jaw line to give it more of an edge but from this render I see that where I hooked it in doesn't look so great.

I will continue tweaking but let me know what you think. Does he still need to look more chiseled?

post-7-1075639184.jpg

...and here is a full body shot. It still needs alot of tweaking too. One thing that really bugs me is that the webbing of his wings doesn't cast shadows. They have no thickness(just flat patches) so I guess this is why. I suppose I will have to give them another side.

post-7-1075639483.jpg

I will post a wire frame when I get a chance Darklimit. I started rigging him (I like to see how my mesh works before I tweek it much) and his wings are horrible. I will be re-modeling the wings soon.

Kricket, I am not sure if he needs to be taller. I was wondering if he was wide enough actually. But I will take a closer look. Thanks for the comments!

Hutch, I'm sorry to do this to you, but -- I would redo the entire wing area, sorry! You should model the wings fully extended. Just like arms are usually put outward from the body to place the bones easier, so should wings. Also, it will be easier to close them from full extension than it is to open them from a closed look.

Trust me, I went through this when I created my dragon.

Thanks, Zaryin. I was planning on redoing the wings anyway since mine don't work. His wings are pretty much extended too, just to the back. Do you have any advice on modelling the web? I'm having alot of problems there.

Here is a wire frame of the front. I couldn't get the shaded wire frame to work in choreography mode for some reason. First try I got like noise and second try was black. So this is a screen shot from the modelling window.

post-7-1075787163.jpg

Looking really good, Hutch! :) You've got the smoothness of the contours down flat -- err, hmm... They're just fine.

I would suggest making the nose a bit taller, so that it is a bit closer to the top of his lips. Right now it looks a little too small (to me).

Webbing on the wings might be like the webbing on the fingers that I've done for a character. I can tell you about if, if you'd like.

Keep up the good work. :-D

If I was to make wings again I would do it totally differently thamn I did. I have the bony areas seprate from the webbing. The webbing in my dragon is justt a flat patches that I put underneath the bony area. I would do it alot differently now.

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.

Ross- I think you might be right about the nose.

Kricket- I agree about the lips but not sure how you mean to straighten the chin.

I have been working on rigging and fan boning his arms and legs. My plan was to move on to making and rigging the wings then rig the face and see how well it deforms before I alter it too much.

Zaryin- This is how I modelled my wings but the patches would seperate from the bony parts when I moved them. So now plan is to make a spline as the cross section of the entire wing along the bottom and extrude it up and tweak it in to shape. Does that sound good to you Zaryin and Ross?

Well, here is an update. I tweaked alot of his proportions and rigged his body except for wings and tail. I re-modeled the wings and they still need to be shaped up a bit more. He has fan bones but only the right side is constrained so this pose was made to try and hide the ugly parts :D

post-7-1075962326.jpg

Looking good, Hutch! :) His feet look a bit big to me -- but I didn't watch the cartoon very much, so don't listen to me for that sort of judgement call.

Your idea for the wings sounds good to me. I used a differen process with the same result -- I laid out the "bones" (fingers in my case), and then systematically broke the circumferential splines and attached them to each other, ending up with a cross-section of the whole hand as one big spline.

Are these the new wings on Goliath in this update here?

Hutch - looking good buddy. I also think this feet are a little big they make him look a little of balance..... I also think his wings should be a bit bigger, they need to be big enough to surpport his body size / weight.....

it's refreshing seeing this model......thanks for sharing....

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.

-Ross- Yep, these are the new wings. I shaped them up a bit more and started rigging them. Been racking my brain trying to come up with a decent control system for them.

-Darklimit- I also thought his feet look a little big but wanted to see if anyone else thought so before I changed them. I guess it is confirmed now so I will fix that.

-JavierP- I haven't really messed with rendering much. I have been concentrating more on learning modelling and rigging. I may give it a shot soon though after I finish rigging him.

Well, I got tired of smartskinning and fan boning so I started playing with lighting. This is the first serious attempt I have made at lighting anything. I don't really know what I am doing here, I just played around for a few hours :lol: I probably broke every rule in the book concerning lighting but I am over all pretty happy with the results. I think his upper body is a bit washed out but other than that I like it. Let me know what you think please. Oh, Javier I tried the toon render but I couldn't get it to look very good. I should probably check out some tuts on it and try later.

post-7-1076242414.jpg

Thanks Darklimit. He is on a ground in this pic. Its pretty dark though. I was going for a sort of moon light look.

I have a couple of problems I am hoping someone can help me with. The easy one first. I am using 10.5 and cannot figure out how to make a new pose slider folder. I am sure its somewhere obvious but I have been looking for a few days...

Now the more difficult one. I mentioned it before, I cannot make spheres work for his eyes and that is the only type of eye that I have ever rigged. Please point me in the direction of a tut or something on how to rig an eye other than a sphere. Thanks in advance.