Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Lighting issues

• *A:M User*

Over the past couple of years and I have used the standard lighting setup. Over the past couple of weeks I have been playing with lights. I have a couple of questions.

I am building a room with can lights (recessed lighting in the ceiling). I want the can lights to light the room in an addition I will have a fill light such as a lamp. When lighting a room such as this

1. Is it best to light from the model, action, chor? If you light within the model I have had some issues trying to get enough light in the room. In the chor it is tough to position the light and you have to add to the model for each chor.

2. I remember the Yves did a tutorial on lighting a room at the dining table. Does anyone have a leak to it? I could not find it.

There are a lot more but I will stop for now.

Any help is appreciated

Steve

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is not a reason for it (for example the light should always stay with a model, like a spot-light of a car or something like that)

you should use lights in the chor. (No model with lights but only the lights).

It is best to do that because you have the highest freedom of positioning and you can easily add new lights where you want them.

It will also mean that you dont have to use the bone-features to position lights and you can handle each light by its own in a faster way.

See u

*Fuchur*

• 2 weeks later...

This is just my opinion,and only offered for adice, and as a base to work from, not a solution:-

Eric2575 mentioned bounce lights,

I would:-

In Objects,make a new Klieg light, wide angle -about 120degrees,low intensity,say 30%, white colour with 50%fall off.Crank up the width softness to 95%.Turn z-buffered shadows to ON.Set map resolution to 1024x1024. Use this as the base reflective light.

Add 2 of these to the cho, just above floor level,pointing at the ceiling. Ensure that the fall off reaches the ceiling.Then add one or two for left wall, and for the right wall. Make these very slightly red and turn cast shadows OFF.

Add some for the ceiling, pointed at the floor. Make these the same colour as the ceiling, only much whiter, just a tint.Point these down.

Unlike me, try not to get any hard light rings on the walls, floor or ceiling.Just play around till your happy.

I aded one more of the bounce lights from the camera side. I tinted this one slightly blue, as if the light was coming in from the outside.

A single spot from the ceiling with volumetrics ON. I set this to a Yellow colour(light temperature and all that)

I set the glow ON for the canvas

Render time was 14 secs

Faking_it.jpg