Hash, Inc. Forums

warhammer 40k?

hi,

my name is mark and i am interested in working with some people to do an animation based on warhammer 40k. I have a good grasp of animation master and I think that if I can get a bunch of people together that like warhammer and are interested in this kind of project we could figure out the fine details.

let me know if you are interested.

markd

I have been intrigued by the warhammer universe, but have only been able to play it a little bit. I am way over committed right now or I would like to try to help you out. I am not at all trying to rain on your parade, and if you want to do this, you should go for it. But here are a few tips I've learned from my own many (dozens) of aborted projects and (very) few completed ones:

1: Keep it short! Two or three minutes is an amazingly long time when you're working at 24 or 30 fps. Reign in the grand vision at least a little bit.

2: Script it (or storyboard). If you don't know where you are going, you will never get there. I have many times got a "great" idea and started modeling with only the slightest glimmer of an idea what I was going to do when I got the model done. Invariably I would bog down after a few animation tests and starting on the second or so character and realizing I really had no story. If it doesn't work on its own as a short (even tiny) story, it won't work as an animation, and you'll have a hard time completing it. And if you do manage to finish something, when you get to the end and there's no real drama, you won't get nearly the response for it from the "audience" that you would hope.

3: Take the bull by the horns. If you want it done, you will have to do it. volunteer internet projects usually don't get done unless there are a few people really pushing and working. You will probably get some help, but people don't usually have as much passion for your project as you do.

That being said, start drawing, and writing, maybe do a little modeling, and good luck! Have fun and you'll learn from it even if it doesn't get done. (I really am trying to be an encouragement, but tempered with experience and a little realism.) Good luck!

Matt

P.S. Here is a link to something that might help you stay on track.

I've modelled and rigged a couple of space marines that are publically avaialble on the Hash extras DVD you're free to use those.

I am flat out on a lot of projects at the moment but where I get a chance I'd like to contribute modelling or animating as the case may be.