Hash, Inc. Forums

Ernie's early work

Here is the latest from Ernie. It is a 1920's music video.

This is an exciting cartoon for a couple of reasons.

First, I got blink tracking working in ZignTrack. This gives the eyes a lot more expressiveness. It was pretty simple, I put tiny loops of blue masking tape on my top lashes and tracked them with the second eyebrow feature (which I wasn't using).

Second, everything after tracking in ZT was done in A:M. I rendered the animation at 18fps. I created dust and scratch mattes using particles. I composited the dust and scratches and tinted it B&W. Finally I rerendered at 30fps with sound. (the scratches mostly got compressed out by Youtube)

I hope you all like it.

Great! I like it. Maybe you could videotape yourself playing that guitar with markers on your hands (and elbow) and then use the 2D motion tracker. If you export that motion as BVH you could constrain the hands to those bones. It might even be possible to add body motion this way.

It's just a thought. I was thinking of trying this myself but haven't had time to do it yet.

• Admin

I love it.

Thats why people need face tracking... to get that story/song out there. :)

I fear the size of Earnie's mouth and its limited articulation seems to restrict him a bit.

You've played well to that constraint here with this animation.

Perhaps where the character has such limitations the camera could move/zoom in on occasion?

I haven't purchased Zign Track yet as I know I don't have time to use it now but rest assured it'll be finding its way into the budget.

Great! I like it. Maybe you could videotape yourself playing that guitar with markers on your hands (and elbow) and then use the 2D motion tracker. If you export that motion as BVH you could constrain the hands to those bones. It might even be possible to add body motion this way.

It's just a thought. I was thinking of trying this myself but haven't had time to do it yet.

Thanks Luuk. I've been thinking about trying something like that too. Kind of a guided roto-capture.

Luuk,

So, a 2D tracker that can export BVH motion is in the newest release of the Tracker?

Yes, 2D export to BVH is available from Zign Track version 1.2. I didn't included it in the A:M Track version, but I might add it if people ask for it. I assume you're going for the full version? (1.3 also exports to Poser (will be released soon))