recoloring - why is this not working?

Master chief

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need to learn about GROUPS. (Not like the Beatles and Stones....well, technically, the Beatles were a BAND and the Stones are a GROUP...)

Anyways- Select all the patches you want to be red...they will AUTOMATICALLY be a group in the PWS...simply go and rename the group (ie: RED) then in the groups properties box change it's color to red. Henceforth and beyond, the same!

OK. I may be wrong but---

You set the WHOLE model to be grey... and the software is following your wishes.

TO do what (I think) you want...

-Select the model where you set the grey color and right click on the color attribute and select 'default' or No value...

-Select ALL the CP's in the model and name the group GREY.(make that group's color grey)

-Select the CP's you want to be red and name the group RED. (make that group's color red)

-Select the RED group and click the 'LOCK' button. Select the GREY group and 'right-click-and-drag' over all the red CPs...this tell's A:M that you DON'T want these CP's in this group...

There's a little more to it still...but I'll let you figure it out.

• Admin

The importance of Named Groups cannot be overstated.

By naming your Groups it will save important information (colors, pivot settings etc.) that otherwise WILL NOT be saved.

Its generally a good idea to name them something related to what the Groups purpose serves.

The order of your Groups in the hierarchy of the list is important too.

Newbies... Oldsters... Create and Name your Groups!

The other thing about naming a group is that then you have a label you can click to select the group - tremendously important later on when the model gets complicated.

As to the coloring thing - I'm a little hazy on this myself, but it makes a difference what order you apply colors in. You first told A:M that everything was to be gray, and anything you say later may be overridden. As John said, select all patches except the one you want to be red, assign a name for them, and make them gray. This leaves the remaining patch undefined so you can make it red.

One thing about selecting patches: if you select all the patches around a single patch, that means all that patch's CPs will be selected and so it will be selected too. You may have to select patches to one side, make them gray, then select patches to the other side and make them gray.

This is a workaround used by people like me who don't really know the ropes. 'Taint right, but it works. Maybe one of the wizards will see this and set us all straight.

Another thing you can do is use the Patch group mode...

patch.jpg

When you select the patch you require an untitled group will be made in your Pws,just rename this group to red,then in your surface properties change the colour to red etc.

If you want to select multiple patches for your group then select your first patch,hold down the shift button and continue to select the patches required.When you have finished just rename the untitled group in your Pws.

Jay

patch_render0.jpg