Hash, Inc. Forums

2 issues, need some insight (Odd colors and Glow)

Rampage0007

OK, I am stuck. I have spent the last 2 and a half years building models, sets, animating and assembling choreographies. I am going through our final renders, and have hit two huge problems that I cannot figure out how to correct. I called Hash's number and they told me that the problems were with the version I was using, and I needed to upgrade. I took them at their word, paid for v15 and I am getting the EXACT same issue. So I am hoping the collective knowlledge of this forum can help us.

First, I have these random "blotches" appearing on a model. They are showing up what appears to be randomly in a rendered cho. they show up for just one frame, but if I go back and render just that one frame the "blotch" appears in the exact same spot. In the picture I have circled one of them. The top shows one frame in the cho, and beneath it is the same section one frame later.

post-9007-1202599370_thumb.png

Second, I have a strange flickering going on, that seems to ainly be effecting specular objects and glows. One frame the specular will render fine, the following frame it is slightly duller, and then back to normal the following frame. This creates a "Flickering" when the scene is played. Beneath is another picture illustrating. I know the difference is hard to see, but look especially in the yellow areas. The bottom is just a little duller than the top. These are only one frame apart in the same Cho.

post-9007-1202599751_thumb.png

I am hoping somebody can help me out here. I love using A:M, and I cant imagine such glaring issues dont have a resolution.

I have never encountered these particular issues. Perhaps someone else has.

In the mean time, I recommend trying to narrow things down. It looks like your problems might be with mapping or with lighting. Have you eliminated the lights in your scene one by one to see if the problem is tied to any specific light? What about textures? Or models, does the same thing happen if you remove other models from the scene?

The more you can tell us about where the problem lies, the more likely we can help.

To even take a guess we'll need much more information, such as:

1. are there any keyframes on anything for those frames? (maybe the Spec. intensity got keyed, or a Light, etc..)

2. is the camera moving in these two examples or is it still?

3. are you rendering with MultiPass?

4. can you save a copy of the scene and start removing things one at a time and see if you can break it down to a simple example where it still happens?

5. does it only happen when you render to file or also when you Quick Render?

-Jim

Oddly enough, on Bendytoons advice, I tried some process of elimination last night. Apparently I can eliminate the dark spot on my first issue by turning "casts shadows" off on the ground model. I don't understand why that works though. Why would it be casting random, odd shaped shadow on itself???

I still cant find out what is causing the second problem though.

There's no need to have "cast shadows" on the ground as you can't see underneath it and there's nothing to cast a shadow on to. Only receive shadows is needed.

For your second problem, try using the same specular/glow settings on a fresh object in a fresh proj/chor. If it happens there, then you know it's something to do with that.