Hash, Inc. Forums

The original NCC 1701 Enterprise

I saw a redesigned 1701 on the web created by a very talented Star Trek fan and wanted to recreate it in Animation Master. I'll have to find the original web site in order to credit the author, but for now I'm just gonna post my progress. I know it's been done upteen times, but I'm a space junkie and always wanted to try my hand at the old girl. Enjoy.

1701NCCResize.jpg

I saw a redesigned 1701 on the web created by a very talented Star Trek fan and wanted to recreate it in Animation Master. I'll have to find the original web site in order to credit the author, but for now I'm just gonna post my progress.

You're thinking of the design by Gabe Koerner, right?

• Admin

post-4347-1202732634_thumb.jpg

Oooo... I like! :)

Interestingly that image (the lines at least) looks a lot better at low resolution than it does larger.

The toon lines in the larger full images don't appear as crisp which might be preferred in a mechanical model.

My thoughts usually run the opposite as I'm always looking for more variation in toon lines. In this case though the crisp lines would be ideal.

Something I've never had confirmed by others but seems to work well for me is to increase the line width a little and render to a larger format (VistaVision or whatever that one is called). Then resample to a lower resolution. For some reason that keeps nice crisp lines where the smaller render doesn't.

Only a few years ago producers of the animated Star Trek series would have been giving you a call on the phone to borrow your model.

Very nice economy of splines too!

post-4347-1202721792_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ken :)

Been working on the aft part of the main hull and it's giving me a bit of a fit. No worries, just about got it licked. For an interlude, I started working on the decals of the ship. So far, I'm very pleased with the results. Don't mind the unfinished parts of the model, I'll get to them tomorrow. Me thinks it's shaping up nicely.

1701NCC_10th_decal.jpg

Thank you Mark. Nice job on your project, I've been following it along with everyone else. Can't wait for some animation from you.

I've been working on the main body and have actually redone it twice due to spline layout and such, but am still not happy with it. I'm also not sold on the radar dish up front. I may divert from the Koerner design and improvise a bit. Anyways, here is a test of the engines.

1.jpg

is it just me, or does that look a lot like the model that was released a few weeks ago to be one of the three proposed designs for the new movie enterprise? if it is, you're doing a great job modeling from such ackward images. and if not, well, it's still really awesome. one thing i'd like to know is how you did the ship lights.

I haven't seen the designs for the new movie. Do you have a link? The lights on the saucer are produced by a simple high resolution ambiance decal. See an example of such a decal in the second post of this thread: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showt...=ambiance+decal

If you want specific details, send me a private message - or if more people are interested, then I may post a tutorial here.

• 1 year later...

Since the new Trek movie is coming out soon, I started to work on my Enterprise again. I lost all model parts except the saucer section and the engines due to a drive malfunction. Just as well since I did not like the way the body section was evolving. Here is a sample of the revisited WIP.

test2A0.jpg

Hey, Eric!

Sorry to hear about your lost drive! I've become pretty obsessive about backing up since I lost that drive last year. It's still biting me. Just last week I was looking for some video tutorial files for another application that I had bought only to realize that I had bought them right before the crash and since so much time had passed, I had to repurchase them.

What do you think of the new Enterprise design from the movie? I'm trying to like it, but I don't think the changes were positive or necessary. The nacelles are too close together and I don't like the giant numbers on the saucer section.

Great job on the Enterprise Eric.

As for the Enterprise in the new movie, not really impressed with it, inside or out. The original Enterprise was classy and elegant. In my opinion, this new Enterprise doesn't even come close to the old one. But that's just me.

Al

When the first few glimpses of the new Enterprise came out, I was thrown by the funky redesign of the nacelles with the addition of the small wings? ailerons? in the rear of the pods and as mentioned the closer angle of the dangle, ha, ha. Me no likey either. Any of Gabriel Koerner's designs would have been much better than what we will get now. As far as the interior is concerned, I get the feeling that this new Enterprise is about 50 years ahead of the original. The layout and design looks so much more advanced to me - well maybe not the spooky hallways.

When the BMW Z4 roadster first came out, I thought, what were they thinking (no flames from Z4 owners please). Kind of the same feeling I got when looking at the new Enterprise. Oh well, maybe I'll come up with my own design for the old girl and model that for fun.

Thank you for all your support and encouragement.

bighoop: The lights are just one simple decal applied in a pose and set to ambiance intensity. This was just a test and will look much better once I tweak it and make different decals.

Largento: I have a sneaky suspicion that my laptop drive is about to bite the dust too. Praises about eliminating paper clutter are one thing, but it sure is harder to lose a file cabinet full of paper vs a hard drive with three or four years of data gone in one second.

Eric

Looking really good Eric. Although, is there a bit of wrinkling in the secondary hull near the starboard nacelle support?

I just this minute figured out why the TOS Enterprise looks so differently than the new movie Enterprise. It all has to do with Picard going back to stop the Borg in First Contact. He inadvertently affected the time line, which has rippled through to this new design. Yes, that must be it. I can sleep easier now and may even enjoy the movie when it comes out.

Al

Al:

Secondary hull? You mean the wrinkles in the nacelle casing, right? Sometimes I get those when I do a copy/flip - for some reason the bias values don't translate the +- values correctly. Will get to that right away. I was going to smooth that out, but was too tired lasty night. Ok, back to the shipyard;-)

-E

Hi Mark,

The wrinkles that I noticed are circled in red.

post-12652-1239303632_thumb.jpg

As far as I knew, the saucer section was called the primary hull, and the lower section with the shuttle bay was called the secondary hull. I could be wrong though. From what I read when I was a kid, the Enterprise was built in parts, those parts lifted into orbit, than assembled. Pretty much like the International Space Station. From what I've been able to figure out, the Enterprise in the new movie is build on Earth, then lifted into orbit. Again, I could be totally wrong on that too. The mind starts losing and confusing facts as one gets older.... :D

Anyway, it is really a great looking model.

Al

I should have know not to throw out a quickie without taking into consideration the keen eyes of this discerning audience. I will fix the clouds/lighting issue, but that crease in the hull is not a crease, it's a reflection from somewhere. The hull is smooth as glass. I'll double check though.

Haven't had much time to work on this, but managed to add a few details and changed the sky to match the lighting. I'm gonna add quite a bit more details and start work on the hull maps.

Yes, I did play around with modeling stars and planets, but had some problems with the size of the maps required to get the detail I was after.

test13A0.jpg