Hash, Inc. Forums

WIP - Attacker Spacecraft

Hello everyone!

Just completed enough of my very first model in A:M (actually very first anything beyond the cube in David Roger's book). Thought I would follow the Japanese schoolchild's axiom "Boys Be Ambitious!" and shoot for the stars. Or in my case, the space animation contest.

This is the attacker's space ship for a space scene. I wanted an organic/technical feel that appeared dangerous and so I ended up with a rocket propelled crab of sorts. I am pretty happy with it as it stands. Needs more tweaking and color but I think you will get the drift.

The white triangles at the back are where the engines go.

This is the very first 3D thing beyond ball and stick chemistry molecular models and absolute first thing in A:M I have ever done, so please be gentle :-)

Thanks,

Paul M.

Gallery of images:

http://www.omoanime.com/wip/attacker.html

Very nice design indeed, but I agree that you need to explorer other ways to attach those longitudinal splines. Sometimes you can get away with dead ending splines, but those sleek surfaces wouldn't allow that without creasing. Perhaps after texturing the creases may blend well or add to your design.

The manta style kinards offer a lot of weapon possibillities. Between them you could generate all kinds of nasty effects from high energy particle burst to gravity wells. :)

• Hash Fellow
Just completed enough of my very first model in A:M (actually very first anything beyond the cube in David Roger's book).
You skipped the lathed vase?!?! :o

a rocket propelled crab
I recall an atomic lobster in a John Waters movie but a rocket propelled crab may be a first. Cool shape!

you need to explorer other ways to attach those longitudinal splines.
I think you could solve this by re thinking it as a "top shell" and "bottom shell." Two separate meshes would give you better opportunities for non creasing splinage and wouldn't change the design of your model since there is already a definite boundary between top and bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Here is a quick render with a decal (my first! Thanks Jim T. for the excellent tute) on the Attacker model. I have actually built a few other models but I haven't posted them yet. Maybe later this week.

I haven't added any bump maps and other goodies - I want the brighter red to be glossy but haven't worked that out yet.

As always, C&C welcome :D

Paul

attacker_render.jpg

WIP site for my minor project: http://www.omoanime.com/wip/attacker.html

PS

Is this the best way to add updates? Or should I start a new topic?

Finally got the hang of decaling. Thanks go out to Godfrey for the helpful post on how to set decal properties and to Steve for the extremely handy link to the online 2003/2004 reference.

Here is a multipass render of the ship with three decals - one image, one bump, and one specularity.

multipassrender.jpg

Hoping to crank out a bunch more models and images over the upcoming long weekend here in the States.

Paul M.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here is an Attacker gun ship (vs. the pursuers I have been showing so far.) I have animated it and added laser beam. This particular moment is just 2 sec long and is part of a bigger project.

On the page the link will take you to there are two versions. The top one is the latest and the second one is the first test. This is all done in A:M and I am very impressed with program.

Thanks for taking the time to look at and let me know what you think!

Paul

Gun ship firing