Hash, Inc. Forums

WIP sci-fi environment

I just purchased 1 seat of the Hash 2008 Web Subscription. I'm liking it so far, but I've always been a fan of A:M.

Speaking of Fans.... here is something I've been working on over the last couple of days. The real tricky part was actually figuring out how to make a hole in the wall for the fan assembly. There are several ways to do this but I would like to give the Hash Forum community a couple chances to guess what technique I used before exposing my final solution. :D

008test_render0.jpg

009test_render0.jpg

I tested all three ways you described. Boolean was the most obvious choice, however when doing so, whatever ended up in the boolean hole was also cut out by the boolean object. Modeling the hole would have taken a substantial amount of time.... The solution with the best results was the cookie cutter!! Using an extra cookie cutter image for texture color helped me align the fan objects into place.

so, whatever ended up in the boolean hole was also cut out by the boolean object.

There's a way around that...

Make the stuff 'in the hole' weighted to a bone that is a child of the boolean bone...and they do not get cut away!

Thanks John, I'll have to try that next time. I figured there was a way to do it, but it seems to render pretty well with the cookie cutter for right now. Progressive renders look kinda weird however :)

progressive_fan.jpg