Hash, Inc. Forums

Another lens

Bendytoons

Inspired by Matt's work seen in this thread: Fisheye Lens

I have built a wide angle lens gizmo.

It uses both changing lens shape and changing index of refraction, which is kind of a cheat but looks good.

To use:

add to your choreography

constrain to your camera- both translate and orient

the "wide angle" slider controls the amount of lens distortion - no effect at zero and super fisheye at 100

The "lens distance" slider controls how far the ben-lens is from the lens of the camera, adjust it until it covers the field of view of your camera.

ben_lens.mdl

Here's a quick sample of no lens effect to full lens effect

widelens.MOV

THIS is why I put my info out there... I've tried 'bens_lens.mdl' and it has improvements on my lens...in that it takes the 'fisheye' to an even further extent.

I'm rendering a test with it right now, but from what I've seen it looks quite good! And if I'm not mistaken- because it is not a closed-double sided shape it takes even less time to render. AND--- I like the straightforward install. ALMOST too easy!

HERE's another lens...Ben's lens2... I found I needed a 'scale' pose to make the whole shebang bigger-AND----you'll notice a new pose called 'Whiskey Glass' that adds a really cool "Oh-No I took too much acid!" effect...

I have another Idea I'll experiment with that I'll call 'Rubber Soul'...

ben_lens2.mdl

To use this lens is easy.

-Download benslens2 or benslens (above)

-Open it in your project.

-Drag it into your choreography.

-Assign it a 'Translate To' constraint to the camera.

-Assign it an 'Orient Like' constraint to the camera.

-Look thru the camera. (num1)

-Adjust the sphere of the lens to cover your field size, using the pose-slider adjustments.

-Adjust the 'Wide Angle' pose slider to get some fisheye distortion.

-Do a quick render (shift+Q) drag a box with right mouse button to see the lens's effect.

-You may want to adjust your camera now, by moving it closer to your subject matter.

-Render a movie!

Please let us know your results, or any ideas to further expound on this wonderful new tool!

HERE is a test (gif?) showing the new 'Whiskey Jar' effect. This is NOT a post production distortion...rather a true 3D lens effect!

whiskeylogo.gif

An 'interior' scene example. All rendered out of A:M v14.0c with NO post production to the images.

The 'Whiskey Glass' has a great look, tho for some reason it cancelled the 'glow'. Looking at the bottom image with 'Whiskey Glass' I am reminded of Ralph Bakshi's 'American Pop' and the bizarre perspectives he used.

example.jpg

An 'interior' scene example. All rendered out of A:M v14.0c with NO post production to the images.

The 'Whiskey Glass' has a great look, tho for some reason it cancelled the 'glow'. Looking at the bottom image with 'Whiskey Glass' I am reminded of Ralph Bakshi's 'American Pop' and the bizarre perspectives he used.

That last image feels somehow familiar, like something from my misbegotten youth....

I LOVE that you've taken the lens further. This back and forth collaboration can be really satisfying. It's great waking up and finding the cool thing you made yesterday is now even cooler, even though you've been asleep.

I've added another fun slider to the lens. You can now move the lens between curved and faceted with the facet slider. This doesn't look like a real faceted lens, but it's neat-o. At 100 percent faceted the lens stops distorting, I assume because it is no longer curved at all.

benlens3.mdl

Here is a test, ramp from no facet to 100 percent facet

facetlens.MOV

Here it is combined with a ramp up in whiskey as well.

ontherocks.MOV

It reminds me of William Borroughs or Salvador Dali or ergot poisoning.

Ben

Cool experiments. The lenses produce distortions at spots. I think you will have to twaek the bias in order to get perfect curvature that will produce the least distortions. In 2002 I experimented with mirrors to get similar results and I had to tweak all the bias to get a perfect curvature that produced the least distortions too. See the WIP page here. I will try to retrieve the mirror models I used for those experiments and post them here.