Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

DevilDude

robvmonte

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Not trying to reply for the other Robert (Darklimit) but here are a few suggestions to add personality:

Cannot see a mouth in your post--does he have one? Does he have teeth? Fangs?

Does he have eyelids--It's hard to blink/sleep/emote without eyelids.

Check out even these simple emoticons (which I cannot seem to resist using in the AM Forum--very frustrating): :huh::o;):P:D:lol:B):rolleyes:<_ src="https://www.hash.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/minecraft_smile.png" alt=":)">:angry::(:unsure::blink::ph34r:

What kind of props will he interact with in your story: Chairs, rocks, a sceptre.

These all can add personality and interest to the story.

Rodney

(Edited to add: "Rocks" where the heck did I come up with that one)

I could not have explained it any better than bakerrod.... Thats what I mean.....

you see a character is usaully built around a single feature.. EG: a mustache, a big nose, big eyes, big forehead <------ anyone of these can be used to give your model personality; so the viewer can tell who this character is right away or can relate to him in some way.

Also a good example is johnartbox superhero we the viewer know he's a hero because of his huge upper body, his arms are huge, clothes, his pose etc.....

hope this helps.....

Rodney and Robert expressed it pretty well. But I'm procrastinating on my work so I thought I do a quick suggestion sketch.

Here's a few ideas. If the character has horns try different sorts, antlers, spiral, but I'd suggest bigger than current. Giving him a physical trident is much stronger than using a decal. Try pulling out the ends of the fingers to suggest talons. Add a tail. try gradiant materials.swtich to unibody design.

.....or ignore me totally and go your own way :D it's a good start.

Now I need to get back to my deadlline,

devil.JPG

• Hash Fellow
what do you mean personality?
Jason "Stop Staring" Osipa make a clever observation in his book, basically that even the best models will look bland in their default unposed pose; it's the animator that makes it possible for the character to really be someone.

John I love that artwork of my character. It means alot that you did that just for me. Yes I was planning on givving him a trident. I will take your suggestion with the horns. Ill see about the hands. The trident on his chest does anyone think Ishould keep it? myabe make it smaller like a mini tattoo? heres a look at his new eye!

post-7-1075423034.jpg

• Admin

Keep updating (and adding personality) You are off to a good start.

I like the idea of the tatoo. I might prefer a chest only location though.

Speaking of one-eyed characters with personality... here is a link to THE site for one eyed characters:

Victor Navone's Blit Wizbok

Since Vic's work in AM help land him a job with PIXAR I think I can safely say he knows a little about adding personality to characters.

Keep it up!

Rodney

Yes Mr navone is a great man and great at animation. I have seen all his animations and read his webpage from top to bottom. I just need help giving him personality. Im giving him a trident (the thing on his stomach) that he can use. He will be able to talk but I think it would be cooler not having a mouth. What is everyones opion on that?

Hmmm ... having no mouth but being able to talk will place more importance on his 'acting' from his other moveable parts. For instance more expression will have to be done with the eyes, or eye in your case, the eyebrow, etc.

But him being a devil, it might be more funny and ominous (in a toon way) for his thoughts to just be broadcasted in some supernatural way. My .02.

Doug

Ooh! I like the pose. The eyelid adds a lot, too -- his body language is communicating some noble struggle. Or maybe I'm just too deep in analyzing this book for class... Either way, me likey. :P

I don't want to dis your originality or anything, but when I looked at him, I saw a resemblance to Thom. Maybe give his feet a little more definition?

Looking forward to progress!