Hash, Inc. Forums

Hair Question

I was animating a short Easter movie amout a lost lamb and things were moving along fairly smoothly until I applied hair to the model.

For some reason I am getting these weird moving black squares around the hair of the model. I am pleased with the way the fur turned out but I would rather not have ants swarming the poor lamb. Can anyone rescue this sad lamb from the evil squares? I'm at a loss for what to do. Thank you!

David

lambtest.mov

post-3143-1200667874_thumb.jpg

Very nice lamb and animation. It's a shame the lamb has fleas. :o

The jitter stands out, try rendering with 0% jitter. You also have 100% direction variation with a 100% face camera, plus only 1 cp (didn't know that was possible), this will most likely have the hair flipping all over the place with a moving model and camera.

What version of A:M are you using?

• Admin

I thought this problem was nailed down in the most recent version.

It appeared quite often in the Ku Klip sequence Stian was working on.

Outside of the rendering artifacts that is very outstanding work you've got there. :)

Thank you all for your kind and generous feedback. I am using v14.0c

I have done the suggested experimentation including a simpler emitter and 0 jitter with and without multipass, but the fleas wouldn't leave.

This morning I discovered that if I vary the thickness of the hair emitter along it's length from .5" at 0% to .4" at 100% that the problem seems to go away. A strange and mysterious solution but I am feeling hopeful that this will solve the problem. I'll need to do some more test renders to verify. Thanks again!

David