Hash, Inc. Forums

Dodo Birds

Here's what I have so far for the January 11 second club.

Its a bit more challenging this month with three characters and their voices overlapping.

The scenario is : A lady walking out of the pet store with a couple of Dodo birds she just purchased and they are all very happy.

The lady will be clapping something in her hands during the clapping part but haven't thought of anything fitting yet.

dodotest4.mov

BTW those Dodo birds are cool models and they are on the extras DVD.

Just a thought, how about if she's a cat.

Maybe that's a bit cliche. Hmmm.

I'm not sure the birds would be so happy if she were a cat !

Everyone can thank William Sutton for the Dodos.

They were his contribution.

Yeah, He did a great job on this model

That looks promising!

If she's actually going to be walking, the mechanics of those birds perched on her shoulders is going to be... really hard.

If you have some extra time could I get one of those video critiques you do?

"Bill". Ha ha! :D

Looking very good! :)

If she's actually going to be walking, the mechanics of those birds perched on her shoulders is going to be... really hard.

You could try attaching a dynamic bone, pointing up, from both of the girl's shoulders and constrain the dodos' hips to them, setting the angle to something small and adjusting the amount of influence. It's worth trying but I'm sure you have all the bases covered anyway. All the examples of your animation that I have seen are beautifully dynamic.

What is the sound track from?

Looking mighty good!

"Bill". Ha ha! :D

Looking very good! :)

You could try attaching a dynamic bone, pointing up, from both of the girl's shoulders and constrain the dodos' hips to them, setting the angle to something small and adjusting the amount of influence. It's worth trying but I'm sure you have all the bases covered anyway. All the examples of your animation that I have seen are beautifully dynamic.

What is the sound track from?

Looking mighty good!

That is a good idea Paul. I had not even thought of using a dynamic constraint. Now the hips are just constained to the shoulder bones.

Maybe I will try that if I have enough time before the deadline but like Robert said thats going to be tough so I will save that for last.

The sound track is from the movie groundhog day.

• Hash Fellow

I suppose the work flow would be

-animate the girl's motions

-put the birds on her shoulder with Paul's dynamic constraint idea.

- bake that constraint result

-then animate the gestures of the birds

still tough though

I suppose the work flow would be

-animate the girl's motions

-put the birds on her shoulder with Paul's dynamic constraint idea.

- bake that constraint result

-then animate the gestures of the birds

still tough though

I wasn't having much luck getting the dynamic constraint to work, so what I did was lag the bird's hip translate constraint by about a half of frame

and seemed to get pretty good results atleast for the up and down motion.

dodotest9.mov

looks very very good - Your animations are always in my list to be studied. I love how the birds are animated, great choices and execution in acting. Lots of life, comedy, smoothedy.

One thing that disturbs me is the "illusion" that the birds penetrate the woman's hair/head at the end. They may not in reality, but the first time thru my attention was drawn to it. I had to play the clip over and over to see if it was an illusion or not - and I'm still not sure. And yes I know you haven't animated the woman yet, but given the current relative sizes, it may be hard to combat that illusion.

looks very very good - Your animations are always in my list to be studied. I love how the birds are animated, great choices and execution in acting. Lots of life, comedy, smoothedy.

One thing that disturbs me is the "illusion" that the birds penetrate the woman's hair/head at the end. They may not in reality, but the first time thru my attention was drawn to it. I had to play the clip over and over to see if it was an illusion or not - and I'm still not sure. And yes I know you haven't animated the woman yet, but given the current relative sizes, it may be hard to combat that illusion.

Thanks, There was some mesh penetration. I'm working on that now. They are pretty close but hopefully I'll be able to position them so at least it doesn't look like they are penetrating. Thanks for the heads up on that. Thats why I like posting the WIP to see what bothers people it's the same stuff that bothers the voters.