Hash, Inc. Forums

Artists

flashawd

Can anyone recommend an artist for hire that could draw a character (front & side) that could be used as a rotoscope? I have to search the internet for pics when I create a character, since my drawing skill is limited to a bad stick figure. It really limits me to what I can create.

Thanks - Eric

Two great books on cartooning, and must-haves for character designers:

Cartooning the Head and Figure by Jack Hamm

How to Draw Cartoons for Comic Strips by Christopher Hart

The first one is old, it was originally published in the '40s, so some of the clothing and hairstyles are out of date. But the book is so chock full of information and inspiration it's worth every penny. It covers so many subjects and so many different styles that it's nearly an encyclopedia of cartooning info. It even has a huge, cross-referenced guide to various expressions!

The second one only covers a few simple styles, but it too covers a variety of subjects, including quite a few standard cartoon animals. The styles covered in this book are fairly easy to model in A:M, and with this book and a scanner, you should have enough reference for quite a few models. I was planning on doing this myself, but I havent had much free time lately.

• Admin

Eric and Braydon,

If you are willing I'd like to suggest you share this project here or start a project in the WIP forum. The education everyone gets from seeing the process as it unfolds will provide a learning experience for all.

Projects kept in the dark often seem to never see the light of day.

The problem with comics cartoon/animes are unless they are made from a 3D program the front and side profiles almost never match. What you can do is use the front image as the primary and use the side as a reference image. Take the model from begging to end and don’t wary if it dose not come out as you would like it. It may take two or three tries before you get it to you liking. Art is not an exacting science so you will need to learn from experience. And there maybe other considerations to taken into account as you make your model.

You can also cut and past some of the body parts from existing models on your AM disk to help you get started. And after two or three models you will find you will be able to make these features your self.

If you would like I can show you some of the progression I did with the first model I am working on now, and I was in the same boat you where two month ago.

Hi Djbreit - thanks for your reply, but I think you misunderstood what I was asking for. I'm not just starting out - I've been working w/ the program for a few years, and have gotten generally comfortable with modelling - I was looking for an artist that could draw a character to my description that I could use as a rotoscope to create the character. For example, one of the human characters from Ratatoulle - I just can't draw like that, or even close. ;)

Thanks - Eric

Hi Dhar - not quire sure yet, was just trying to line up an artist. Still thinking about the character - working on one now, so it will be my next one. I want it to be a person though - need practice modelling a human face - but I definately want it cartoon style - not photorealistic.

I'll have to get back to you on that one when I know exactly what I want. In the meantime, do you mind posting some samples of your work, I think me and everyone else would love to see some of it. Thanks - Eric

I usually like to do cartoon animals, check out my website, http://mysite.verizon.net/~aen916/ , if there's anything you like let me know and I'll do what I can to help you.

Hi Andy - wow, you are really good, exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. I am thinking a cartoon human character - something like your "frontbutt" drawing. When I get to that character project I'll let send you an email, - I appreciate you posting.

Thanks - Eric

Hi Andy - wow, you are really good, exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. I am thinking a cartoon human character - something like your "frontbutt" drawing. When I get to that character project I'll let send you an email, - I appreciate you posting.

Thanks - Eric

No problem just let me know when. Glad you like my work. :D