Hash, Inc. Forums

Space ship modeling

animation man hi

It's very much the same as any mechanical modeling. Look at the cars that are included with AM. Not the cartoony ones. I mean the ones that Stian did. You can see that he has a lot of splines where he needs a lot of detail and only a few splines where he doesn't

Here some ideas off the top of my head:

1. Bevel hard edges. They will look better when rendered.

2. Work from reference. Either try making a ship that already has some drawings and pictures out there, or draw your own. Either way, it's easier to work from that then trying to just come up with an idea in AM.

3. Add enough greeblies, nurnies and other little details to look good. Think of the Millenium Falcon. It's got a ton of little bits and parts the help add to its authenticity.

4. Use bump, normal and displacement maps for details that modeling would just be a totel pain to do.

That's all I have for you this morning. Good luck.

To learn how to create bevelled edges, try looking at Yves Poissant's Tutorials.

As for the extra details, they can really help in selling the scale of your spaceship. As Paul mentioned, the Millenium Falcon (or any of the Star Wars ships) is a great example of detailing.

There are a lot of good websites that have photos and blueprints of existing real and sci-fi spaceships. You could try modelling an existing ship first to develop your skills.

Al

Any way I am a big fan of SCIFI stuff so could someone direct me the way to make an space ship.I am aware that the libraries has ONE space ship but I need my own...

If you really want to make your own, then you should definitely start with drawings. Once you've got a design that you like, draw pictures of it from various sides (top, front, back, side, etc.) and make sure they all are at the same scale. You'll import those images into A:M to use as rotoscopes in the matching views of your model window. (From the front view, right click on the model window and select New-->Rotoscope and import the front view. Repeat for the other views.) Make sure they all match up and then start building the parts.

You'll want to familiarize yourself with the various modeling methods and tools (lathe, extrude, etc.) you can use to build the individual pieces of your spaceship. Some will work better for specific types of model pieces, so you'll want to keep that in mind.

If you want to start simple, you might use the primitives from the library as your parts and build it from those shapes.

Good luck!

HEY PAUL! Dig your Simpsons characature! I had a buddy that specialized in doing Simpson's characatures...

Thanks! I just ran a pic of myself through simpsonizeme.com and tweaked it a little. So, I can't really take credit on it, but I will anyway.

Hi...

Spaceships.....great stuff - Take a look on the Web for a Free Program called "DOGA" - Its written by a Japanese guy and is sort of a Toolbox for Spacecraft - Pick your parts and Mix èm. The Model can then be exported as 3Ds and reimported into AM. All you need to do then is the Tex and Decals.

:-)

LIMA