Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Help

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should be able to find some reference pics online, Google image search is usually pretty reliable. Find as many pics as you can.

Once you've got the pics, you need to look at the armor, equipment, etc.. and decide where to break it up and what to model first.

A project like this is going to require some intermediate to advanced level modeling knowledge. If you're still new to modeling in splines, you might get frustrated with this, just so you know.

Also, keep in mind, alot of the detail is created with image maps.

If I were to tackle something like this, I'd start with the chest plate and then the shoulders. Then maybe the arms. Or the gaunlets. Save the gun for last.

Study the splines of the knight model, alot of how it's put together would help you here.

And, again, keep in mind that alot of the detail is from the image maps. You''ll need a decent image editor/creator.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Steve P.

By image editor or creator he means

Photoshop

Photoshop Elements

The Gimp

extra package for A:M - 3dPainter

I use Photoshop Elements, which is way cheaper than Photoshop, and also TwistedBrush to do more arty things, and also 3dPainter.

But any image editor would do. There are some free ones around (Pixia, Art Weaver). When you come to use the alpha channel, that's when you need the ones above.

This would be just for creating the texture on the model. First you need to make the actual model. Have you done exercise 10 (aeroplane) and exercise 11 (giraffe) in The Art Of Animation:Master book? Because for this model you are going to need serious skills.

Another approach for some of this would be in modifying existing models. I've taken what was orginally a t-shirt and turned it into a long overcoat simular to the one you have here.

You're going to want to decide how much detail that you want to model and how much you can get by with using image maps. The amount of detail of the shoulder pieces of the coat would be approximately about the level you would want for the armor shoulder pieces.

Make sure to save frequently and save in versions when you model this.

Steve P.

That looks good.

It is harder to create a model without good rotoscopes, but not impossible - can you draw your own?

You could also try searching for 'wireframe' in the WIP forum, as that would show you how other people have put their models together.

I'm sure there would be a wireframe somewhere in this brilliant thread, for example:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28805

Forget about the image editor until the model's done, though. Just remember some of the details you might be able to do with bump maps in an image editor rather than modelling them all.

Please spell check and use punctuation, it would make it so much easier to read. lol

The coat looks good. For a project like the one you are attempting, I would suggest making a low patch model, much like how the in game model is low poly. Only model the "big" parts of the model. Then you can add lots of detail with texture maps ( IE bump maps, normal maps, color maps, etc). It would be easier modeling, and a good learning experience of texturing. You google The Gimp, which is a great photo editing tool, the great thing about it is that it is free.

:D

ben