Hash, Inc. Forums

In limbo

Ludmasson

Hello AM, So Im looking for somefeed back. I use to use other 3d programs in the past. Now 7 years later im finding myself interested in 3d again. I have been working with some polygon modeling software lately and I am very limited to modeling. So I'm asking

for some advice. How hard is it to create custome characters in AM as to creating with other 3d software. I can create characters in 2d till the world ends, but now its time to turn them into 3d, will AM complete this task with basic knowlegde of modeling.

Also will just modeling bog down my system, because im on a older laptop. Or will i be fine intill I start rendering animation.

Thanks AM members

I don't know how long this thread will stay, so I'll be brief:

I've also used max and find AM modeling to be more intuative and hands on. However, others disagree. You should learn all you can about the program before deciding to buy. But if you do, I believe you'll be extremely happy with your "bang to buck percentage".

Modeling stresses a computer very little....unless there are thousands of patches. But generally, you'll be fine on a low spec machine till render time.

The key word is "characters." A:M is designed first and foremost for organic modelling. Polygon-based programs do very well making robots, but you run into all sorts of problems when you try biological forms, and more problems when you start animating them. Just by being a spline-based program, A:M works the way skin, muscle, bones and fabric work.

You will hit a speed bump right out of the gate, in that using splines is a lot different than using polygon edges. This takes some getting used to and you'll be frustrated at first. Keep at it. Once you master splines, you'll find that a lot of the work you had to do yourself in other programs is done for you automatically in A:M.

How old is your "older" laptop? A:M comes on a disc which must be physically in the computer to boot up. This will become an advantage when you update your computer, as the disc is licensed to a user and not to a seat - thus it's portable.

Hello AM, So Im looking for somefeed back. I use to use 3d Studio and Maya in the day. 7 years later im finding myself interested in 3d again. I have been working with Sketch UP lately for modeling and I am very limited to modeling. So I'm asking

for some advice. How hard is it to create custome characters in AM as to creating with Maya and 3d studio. I can create characters in 2d till the world ends, but now its time to turn them into 3d, will AM complete this task with basic knowlegde of modeling.

Also will just modeling bog down my system, because im on a older laptop. Or will i be fine intill I start rendering animation.

Thanks AM members

If you are wondering why people are mentioning that this thread might not be around for much longer in there reply's the reason is that there is a rule about not mentioning other programs by name. you can say other programs just do not say there names this forum is provided to us by Hash Inc. to talk about and help each other learn and us there product.

Hello AM, So Im looking for somefeed back. I use to use 3d Studio and Maya in the day. 7 years later im finding myself interested in 3d again. I have been working with Sketch UP lately for modeling and I am very limited to modeling. So I'm asking

for some advice. How hard is it to create custome characters in AM as to creating with Maya and 3d studio. I can create characters in 2d till the world ends, but now its time to turn them into 3d, will AM complete this task with basic knowlegde of modeling.

Thanks AM members

If you are wondering why people are mentioning that this thread might not be around for much longer in there reply's the reason is that there is a rule about not mentioning other programs by name. you can say other programs just do not say there names this forum is provided to us by Hash Inc. to talk about and help each other learn and us there product.

THanks Mark,

I went and changed my original message to make it within the guidelines of posting.