Hash, Inc. Forums

Beechcraft

agep

Hi

I've just started a new project. Its a model of the Beechcraft Super King Air 200. I'm still early in the modeling process. My plan for this model is to make it crash (hopefully in a live action test). Even though its not much to see yet, let me know what you think

beechcraft0.jpg

*UPDATE*

added latest render:

beechcraft.jpg

gloss is really nice... is there a material on the craft itself?
That is a trick I learned from DanCBradbury using a white HDR image on a plane that is above the model

Wow, i can tell the difference! thats really great, I might end up using that for my project ("Almost ready for submission")

From what i can see, the model is looking great! I'm not sure from my experience, I think the lazy way to make it crash would be to use a sprite emitter to show pieces of it flying all over, etc. but you could also have genuine fragments of the model expeled from the crash sight. Smoke and steam will be your best friend on this project... obviously. Here's a word document containing a file on how i made my burning material. It might work for some purpose on this project.

Hope it helps!

-Cross

Material_effectors_in_animation.doc

Thanks guys. I hope to be able to use particles and stuff, but I'll save that till the end. First I need to get the model ready, then the tracking and stuff. Anyway, here is a new update.. What do you think?

beechcraft0.jpg

Hi Stian ....

Another superb model, I would like to see a hi-res image... I believe that the placement of junction's rivets of the parties will refine the model...

Thank you so much guys!

The trick you learned from Dan really changes it from an OK render to a really really nice render.
The first render and second render does actually have the same render setup applied. The only difference is that the first is rendered in v13 and the second in v14

Regarding the tracking, I haven't decided if I'm going to use PFHoe or Syntheyes yet, it depends on the outcome of the tracking

Thanks guys!

Are you doing the interior, too?

Most likely not. I haven't desided yet though

maybe add some smoke residue near the exhaust(?)
Thanks for the tip! I have Investigated a few ref photos, and some of them got exhaust residue, so that is next on my to do list

Here is a new render setup. Still tweaking on it, but I thought I should share what I got so far. Let me know

beechcraft_hdri0.jpg

Thank you Rodney. Here is a new render. I've, as you suggested, tried to lighten up the underside of the aircraft. I've also tweaked some of the shaders a little and also added soot behind the exchaust pipes (the soot didn't get that noticeable though..)

beechcraft.jpg

• Admin

Stian,

Thats the ticket. That's spot on.

When I saw your earlier render I was instantly transported back to an airfield near Tokyo Japan. The location I was transported to wasn't ideal as it had your aircraft flying down to the runway at the wrong angle! Maybe thats where the idea of crashing this thing transported me?

My point here... your images immediately transport the viewer into your scenes. That is a rare quality.

This one is no exception.

If looking to maximize this particular render as a still image I'll suggest giving the aircraft a little more 'noseroom' in the frame.

That would allow for perception of additional space for the plane to fly into.

I'm making piddly suggestions here because I ran out of superlatives long ago! ;)

Good heavens Stian. That really is a photograph, isn't it? :blink: It can't be a model, no way, not a chance in the world!!!! NOT!

Truly amazing work. Not only the model, but the environment you have put it into. I have to agree with Rodney about how it transports the viewer into the scene. I can hear the sputtering of the engine now, the frantic pilot working the controls trying to coax the engine to life to get him the last few hundred yards to the runway. Sweat dripping down his brow, he realizes he is going to come up too short as memories of his life flash before his eyes.

Just curious, and you may have been asked this before. How long have you been doing this type of work?

Al

Truly amazing work. Not only the model, but the environment you have put it into.

Stian is amazing. However, Tralfaz, I believe that the background environment behind the airplane in the image actually is a photograph.

It's a testament to his talent and skill that his model is so real looking that he can seamlessly mix it with real-life images.

Stian is amazing. However, Tralfaz, I believe that the background environment behind the airplane in the image actually is a photograph.

LOL! I knew the background was a photograph!

You are right about integrating the two things together. Definately an art form, and Stian is truly an artist.

Al

Stian- looking great...one thing bothers my eye tho---

That wire spanning from the cockpit to the tail...shouldn't that be 'taught' (or tight) seems if it had a little looseness it would provide no support whatsoever AND whip like crazy in-flight. I'm sure you are following reference and it is right...just looks out of place with the arc in it.

BIG FAN!!!

Hi Stian,

Superb modelling and texturing as usual. My only issue is that for an 'in flight' shot, the outline of the aircraft is too sharp (this includes the outline of the reflections as well). We should see a hint of the reflections rather then perfect reflections - how about a little gaussian blur?

Cheers

Thank you so much for your kind words!

Just curious, and you may have been asked this before. How long have you been doing this type of work?
I started working with 3D and A:M three years ago

That wire spanning from the cockpit to the tail...shouldn't that be 'taught' (or tight) seems if it had a little looseness it would provide no support whatsoever AND whip like crazy in-flight. I'm sure you are following reference and it is right...just looks out of place with the arc in it.
I never thought of it that way. I've only had photo ref for the wire. You are probably right though

Are there patches disappearing from under the wing?
I'm not sure what you mean. I couldn't find any missing patches on the model. Could it be reflections you see?

My only issue is that for an 'in flight' shot, the outline of the aircraft is too sharp (this includes the outline of the reflections as well). We should see a hint of the reflections rather then perfect reflections - how about a little gaussian blur?
I tend to sharpen my renders i PS (something I personally prefer), do you think that caused some of it?

Thank you so much for your kind words!

My only issue is that for an 'in flight' shot, the outline of the aircraft is too sharp (this includes the outline of the reflections as well). We should see a hint of the reflections rather then perfect reflections - how about a little gaussian blur?
I tend to sharpen my renders i PS (something I personally prefer), do you think that caused some of it?

Probably. For static ground shots it's fine but in flight there is vibration and movement that just isn't portrayed (except for the props)

Cheers