Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Snowfall

mschoenhals

Hi all!

I'm working with Jeff Paries' Blobby Snowfall:

ftp://www.hash.com/pub/Projects/V6.1/Snowfall.prj

and the particles are coming out like little ping pong balls. I know I have to change the surface attributes of the blobbies but I can't seem to find settings that look even remotely like snow (although the movement looks great).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

snowfall30.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blobbies are pretty much what they are...meaning they are blobbies...not a lot to dink with. You might want to switch them over to sprites so you can alter their appearance in a photo editor 'pre-hash' OR stay with the blobbies and run the resulting animation thru a 'blur' post effect...either in A:M or a post production app like After Effects...

Awesome! The sprites worked allot better! How did you create the realistic snow on the roof and ground? Was that a material?

Great picture by the way!

Mike

Check out my Christmas contest entry, that was done with sprites. If I had used three or more different pics for the sprites it would look even better. Did not take much to render either.

http://www.hash.com/imagecontest/Dec07/03.jpg

• Admin

These recently posted snow related topics might come in handy for anyone looking in.

http://johnl.inform.net/pages/thesnow.htm

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2341

...and here's a forum search for the word snowflake.

...and a search on the word snow.

Impress your friends and family with a little help from your friendly forum (and A:M)! :)

Rodney

my old site (johnl.inform.net) died earlier this year

but this was the link on that page

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcry...otos/photos.htm

ps if anyone finds an old link in the forum let me know and i'll upload the project and qt etc in its place

I used the default snowflake brush from photoshop and brought it in as a sprite - the effect was exactly what I was looking for! Yeah!

Now I'm trying to make a snowy ground - a little more difficult than I thought it would be. Eric's image looks awesome. Any ideas on what I should try? Maybe a material or some sort of decal?

thanks everyone for your help!

These recently posted snow related topics might come in handy for anyone looking in.

http://johnl.inform.net/pages/thesnow.htm

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2341

...and here's a forum search for the word snowflake.

...and a search on the word snow.

Impress your friends and family with a little help from your friendly forum (and A:M)! :)

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I was in the Mohave desert over the weekend. There was actually snow in the Tehachapi mountains.

The snow on the roof and ground effect was achieved in two similar yet different ways. For the roof, I modeled the basic shape and then created a tilable jpeg of snow that I used to make a bitmap plus material. The jpeg below is what I used. You may use it if you like. The attached image was the large version. You might want to reduce it in size.

The snow on the ground was a bit trickier. Since I wanted the path to look like the snow had recently been shoveled, I thought I'd use a displacement map for that and then the bitmap for the flat areas. The problem was that the displacement decal and the bitmap did not like each other and came out all messed up. So, I rendered the ground with a different tileable snow pattern decal set to color. This gave me the main snow field which I could then use as a displacement decal. Now I had to incorporate the path displacement. So I opened up photoshop and created the path exactly where I needed it to be for the scene. Once I had the path in the snow field, keeping in mind that it had to be created with shades of black and white in order for the displacement to do it's work, I came up with the displacement map below. You may also use it in any way to suit your needs.

Hope that helps. Can't wait to see what you are going to come up with.

Btw, thanks for the kind words about my Christmas pic.

Cheers

Eric

SnowTilable.jpg

terrain6S_copySmall.jpg

Thanks very much Eric - that put me on the right direction! I've got exactly what I needed!

Thanks again,

Mike :D

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I was in the Mohave desert over the weekend. There was actually snow in the Tehachapi mountains.

The snow on the roof and ground effect was achieved in two similar yet different ways. For the roof, I modeled the basic shape and then created a tilable jpeg of snow that I used to make a bitmap plus material. The jpeg below is what I used. You may use it if you like. The attached image was the large version. You might want to reduce it in size.

The snow on the ground was a bit trickier. Since I wanted the path to look like the snow had recently been shoveled, I thought I'd use a displacement map for that and then the bitmap for the flat areas. The problem was that the displacement decal and the bitmap did not like each other and came out all messed up. So, I rendered the ground with a different tileable snow pattern decal set to color. This gave me the main snow field which I could then use as a displacement decal. Now I had to incorporate the path displacement. So I opened up photoshop and created the path exactly where I needed it to be for the scene. Once I had the path in the snow field, keeping in mind that it had to be created with shades of black and white in order for the displacement to do it's work, I came up with the displacement map below. You may also use it in any way to suit your needs.

Hope that helps. Can't wait to see what you are going to come up with.

Btw, thanks for the kind words about my Christmas pic.

Cheers

Eric