Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

11 Second Club - November

Dhar

This is my entry WIP.

mov 2 (still blocking) is the reflection that I want to import as Image Sequence into A:M and project it on the mirror surface. I have never done it before. How does it work? I import the image sequence in the Image folder (which it told me was too large ~ 380 frames) and then what?

Adorable_lowres.mov

Adorable_2.mov

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dhar,

This looks like its going to be good.

I especially like his reaction when he sees himself in the mirror.

I think you can just apply that image sequence as a decal to the model but I haven't done that in a long time.

David

Dhar - you can import the .mov file itself as an animated decal. You apply it to the mirror surface as a decal in the usual way. Once in the chor, click on the "Show more than drivers" button (the one with the red X through it) for the model, and then click open the Decals folder. In the Properties panel of the decal there should be an option showing for frames. You can specify what frame of the chor you want the .mov to start on, and then what frames you want to play for any specified stretch of the chor.

In Graph view you'll have a graph line indicating frame count. If your .mov is the same length as the chor, then just set the .mov frame 0 at chor frame 0, and .mov frame 330 at chor frame 330. You should be able to step through the chor and see the frames play.

But an animated decal is super flexible. You can have it sit at frame 0 for a span of time, then play the .mov starting at a particular point in the chor, then stop it, etc. If you want to do this, it will help a great deal to make all the graph points peaked.

Also, you may notice in the Properties window that the decal is displaying, say, frame 18.32 of the .mov. Don't worry about this, it will still play fine.

Thanks guys.

Gerry; I went ahead and imported the image sequence which I exported from QT. I'll play with an .mov file as well just to see the difference (if any).

I still need to animate the second voice but I ran this test and realized I need to get his reflection coser to the camera - maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1mr0lNXb0

• Hash Fellow

That's a great concept. Several levels of meaning in there.

Right now the staging is a problem. His body is obscuring too much of the hand that's leaning on the mirror.

I'd consider waiting to reveal that the reflection is "on it's own" until just before he speaks.

I agree about the waiting to reveal the reflection is on it's own.

As it is now the viewers eye goes from the reflection at the start to the main character when he takes his hand off the mirror and says "now". Then just after he says short the relection turns around and draws attention back.

So theres a good chance the viewer won't see the "fat"action. plus it gives away the gag away. It maybe funnier if we and the main character realized the reflection was alive at the same time. After he says "thing" that gesture is perfect for that.

One more thought. If your searching for a pose for the reflection at the end. It would be cool if he came forward grabbing the mirror with both hands leaning forward maybe sticking his head out of the mirror looking to see waht happened to the main character with concerned look on his face.

Dhar this is going to be great I can see it now but in my opinion you are still starting the reflection too soon I would atleast start the reflection moving 10 to 12 frames later. then make it a quick turn than you can start the talking even before he lands in the pose.

I agree. This definitely looks/plays better.

Reminds of the good old looney tunes style or Casper take where the arms and legs jut and stretch way out.

But something doesn't look quite right.

Just wonder what the take would look like initially bent/arched the whole other/opposite way then back.

• Hash Fellow

How about if the "reflection" stuck his head out from behind the mirror at the end.

Instead of putting an image on the mirror, take the mirror out of the frame and pose a copy of the character so it is seen thru the frame as if it were a reflection and then at the very end we find out it's not a reflection.