Hash, Inc. Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jpappas

Updated the primitives (magnitudes) - what do you think?

Hi Fellows,

I was reading some old threads and came across this one between Yves and Vern in 2005:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=133123

I checked the primitive models that come on the A:M CDs from versions 11 through 14, and the magnitudes of the bevels are all still set to 236, so I went through each primitive model and changed the bevel magnitudes to 360 and re-saved them (this came close to giving me carpal tunnel syndrome but I finished safely!)

When rendered, I think the bevels on the updated primitives look smoother, this is most noticable when the camera is up close.

Assuming this is a good update, I wanted to ask the Fellows and the great employees at Hash, which is the best way to share these? I can Zip these and upload them right to the forum, but if folks think it's worth it, maybe we can add them to future shipments of A:M in the Models folder?

-Jim

magnitude_compare.jpg

Those do look better. Would 400 look even better? 500?

I'm thinking a text editor with some macro ability (I use UltraEdit) could be set up to quickly sift through an mdl file and replace those values.

We'll put 'em on the next CD!

THANKS!

Hey Martin,

Here's the full set. Besides the magnitude change, I also made one minor update to all the primitives (even ones which don't have bevels like spheres, the cone and the grid). I reset the Ambience Intensity from 20% back to zero in each. They all had this ambience instensity built into them but I never knew if there was a reason.

Also, the Squared Wy never had the center filled in, Yves left it as a challenge for the users, so alongside the original, I also included one with the center filled from Rhett Jackson (jandals) which I found in one of his posts in the forum, this also has the bevel mags, updated to 360.

Let me know if you'd like this posted in the main forums, and if so, which forum.

thx!

-Jim

Primitives_updated_Mags.zip

Finally!

I was going to do that myself... I kept saying I should do that... over a weekend or something. Every time I grabbed one of those primitives and used it in a project I kept saying "I should fix these crazy files!" Obviously I never did. I got them now though don't I? Hee hee.

No more of this sort of thing: "Select magnitude... type 360 hit, tab, type 360, tab tab type 360, select next point... only 29 more to go."

Would you believe I would forget about this issue with the primitives, use the darn files, make modifications then have to fix the magnitudes... and realize if ONLY I had fixed the magnitudes on my silly primitive files in the library I could be sleeping right now!

;)

-vern

Thanks Jim! Its the little things like this that make a big difference.

Very much appreciated. :)

Let me know if you'd like this posted in the main forums, and if so, which forum.

Anyplace will do... We'll be making a CD soon and use them there.

Done! :) These files can now also be found in the Tutorial forum.

Rob,

Per your suggestion, I opened one of the .mdl files in Wordpad and searched for the current magnitude amount, 360. I found lot's of matches, but each match was couched in a dense set of other values. If one does an automated replace, how can one be sure they are only changing the correct values? I do agree with this approach if it can be done. Doing each one with the mouse results in a nice case of precision elbow and twitchy wrist.

Vern,

After I read that old thread a little voice popped in my head and said, go ahead and help Vern out! Poor guy's losing sleep over this, LOL! B)

Rodney,

You're beginning to see through my master plan:

1. update bevels on primitives

2. (still in planning)

3. take over the world

-Jim

You had it backwards. It should have been:

1. (still in planning)

2. take over the world

3. Make someone else update bevels on primitives

;)

-vern

On using a text editor:

I looked at the old files (260 mag) and found scads of references to:

0 -45 2.36

2.36 would be my guess for the change of magnitude since 45 and -45 would be the alternating bias of the primitive bevels.

In this situation I would use a batch file regex search and look for -45 or 45 followed by 2.36 but only between the [MESH] [ENDMESH] tags (or whatever it is now with the new AM file format). There is a thumbnail and preview that is included at the bottom of the file in the text editor between [Preview].... [DATA] .... [ENDDATA] .... [EndPreview]. This would be that huge long dense pack of letters and numbers. This may be where your search is coming up with multiple results.

I was going to do this I swear. I kept saying... "pop open the text editor. It will only take 10 minutes". I even thought about doing that with my working models on occasion. But for some really strange odd reason, I found the process of doing it by hand... over and over and over... almost zen-like... uh... either that or just laziness ;)

-vern

Well, it must have to do with the planet alignments but I did those corrections too two weeks ago. But I didn't think of correcting the ambiance settings though. Now I did. I also added a few other primitives that I built throughout the years as I found them usefull. I was going to post them along with my redesigned and updated web site but I'm still working on the damn web site redesign and reorganizing.

Oh! and BTW, I used a text editor, replacing "45 2.36" with "45 3.6". I did not bother checking if those were between [MESH]..[ENDMESH] markers.

PS. I had to do a lot of PHP and XML for my new web site. PHP and XML are fantastic. I love both. But they are eating a lot of my time.

Well, it must have to do with the planet alignments but I did those corrections too two weeks ago.
No kidding, I did those corrections too. I sent them to Steve Sappington just a few months ago

Phew! Glad I was so lazy and didn't waste my time! We could compare them all and see who did the best job!

;)

p.s. I always wondered where those ambiance settings were coming from. I stitch together and move primitive models around to build larger models (much faster than creating all those bevels from scratch)... at the end of the day I have something that I completely forgot started from them and it had that funky ambiance setting. ;)

-vern

Vern, you must be using your Jedi mind tricks and now look, three of us have updated the primitives as a result! Now where is my tin-foil hat anyway? :P

Yves, I'm looking forward to your new website update and the new additions to the primitives family. Sounds great!

-Jim