Hash, Inc. Forums

I'm a short, fat, insecure, middle age thing!

Dagooos

Glad to see you participate. It was nice seeing more A:Mers in last month's contest :D

Looking real good, Dave. I love that blue character of yours. One thing though, they both seem to close their mouths after every word :lol:

Hey how'd you make it go full screen like that? I've never seen that with quicktime.

The acting is top notch. I'd suggest working on the lipsync. More Oooo shapes needed and timing seems off in places. I also agree with the other comments. The sighes between the words need mouth shapes too.

Also, as icing on the cake, I'd love to see his eyes more expressive on the word "thing"......that's what everything before it has been building up to. Eyes wider would help.

Thanks for the comments.

You can turn the volume up on the quicktime player. The mov. turns it down for some reason.

I've done some major changes to the animation and cut out the spaceship and the red character.

The spaceship thing just wasn't working

Now he is ice fishing. I think the animation a lot funnier with the fish.

It gives him someone to play too and now has something to be scared of.

The dynamics on the fish is kind of fun too.

Will post an update later.

fishing.jpg

Hey how'd you make it go full screen like that? I've never seen that with quicktime.

The acting is top notch. I'd suggest working on the lipsync. More Oooo shapes needed and timing seems off in places. I also agree with the other comments. The sighes between the words need mouth shapes too.

Also, as icing on the cake, I'd love to see his eyes more expressive on the word "thing"......that's what everything before it has been building up to. Eyes wider would help.

Hi Ken,

There is an option in the properties panel of quicktime pro. I must have saved it while it was turned on.

I like viewing the test fullscreen.

Thanks for the input on the lip sync I totally agree but can't get a good Oooo mouth shape pose out of that character. Maybe because he is such a low patch model?

I'll try to get a better pose "thing" I probably will add a few more pose sliders to get stronger facial stuff.

Thanks again

David

• Hash Fellow

Hey David, I really like the way you move your characters around. You're one of the few people animating around here that "gets" body mechanics. Even when you're doing something weird it has a plausibility about it that is rather rare.

-The action always seems to be trailing the sound. I feel like if i slid the sound later a few frames it would really lock in.

-I'd consider making red tent a white igloo or something not so red so it wasn't grabbing so much attention.

Hey David, I really like the way you move your characters around. You're one of the few people animating around here that "gets" body mechanics. Even when you're doing something weird it has a plausibility about it that is rather rare.

-The action always seems to be trailing the sound. I feel like if i slid the sound later a few frames it would really lock in.

-I'd consider making red tent a white igloo or something not so red so it wasn't grabbing so much attention.

Thanks for the comment and the tips. I will try to get the sound to sync better with the animation.

The igloo is a good idea too.

Just look at you bouncing Bosko on youtube that is really cool. Love the old rubber hose animations and wanted to try 2D animation for a long time. So I have a couple questions for ya.

Did you draw that on a computer tablet or on paper?

For the timing did you use the old clip for reference or did you make a timing sheet or did you just animate it straight ahead??

Did you Have to tweak anything?

• Hash Fellow
Just look at you bouncing Bosko on youtube that is really cool. Love the old rubber hose animations and wanted to try 2D animation for a long time. So I have a couple questions for ya.

Did you draw that on a computer tablet or on paper?

on the computer, in ToonBoom Studio using my magical reflectiq drawing tablet.

For the timing did you use the old clip for reference or did you make a timing sheet or did you just animate it straight ahead??
I studied the clip very closely to count frames, see where the arcs were going, and to identify the key poses. I eyeballed the key frames as close to the orginal as I could without tracing them. then I inbetweened from there. I also found a model sheet of Bosko that answered some questions about what his shape is supposed to be.

Did you Have to tweak anything?
I tried to make some of the arcs and spacing better particularly in the hip motion. I'm not sure it made much of a difference. A lot of detail in the hands and feet is guessed at since the clip was so foggy.

Yeah, once TWO is done I want to start looking at hand drawn again. I feel like I've learned enough about timing and motion doing while doing 3D that I might be more likely to get watchable results than before when I had no clue.

This is a brilliant animation! I think you did an incredible job. The character had real weight to him.

btw - What is the 11 second contest? It sounds like fun - is this a monthly contest? Where is on the forums?

- Michael

Muchas gracias, amigo!

The 11 second club is Here

It is new and took the place of the Ten second club but is so much better.

Check it out it's a fun monthly contest.

David

Here is the final version. Mostly worked on facial stuff, lip sync, brows and general facial expressions but also worked on the timing a bit trying to get him to look like he was really saying it.

Still not so good in the ratings with 35th place.

FishF.mov

Here is the final version. Mostly worked on facial stuff, lip sync, brows and general facial expressions but also worked on the timing a bit trying to get him to look like he was really saying it.

Y' got me convinced. I love it.

Fantastic animating, David!!!:)

I think that if the camera cut closer to the fish before he speaks and then cut back to a long shot for the jump it would it would emphisize where the voice is coming from. Just a thought.;)

Maybe if your amazing character and his fish were centered, so that the fish didn't fly out of frame it would feel more balanced. At the moment all the action is happening on the right of the screen, and even off screen.

Nice work and good luck in the contest.

Fantastic animating, David!!!:)

I think that if the camera cut closer to the fish before he speaks and then cut back to a long shot for the jump it would it would emphisize where the voice is coming from. Just a thought.;)

Maybe if your amazing character and his fish were centered, so that the fish didn't fly out of frame it would feel more balanced. At the moment all the action is happening on the right of the screen, and even off screen.

Nice work and good luck in the contest.

Hi Paul,

Now that you mention it I think that was the problem with the clip. It should have been staged better. A wider camera angle and Holding the fish up closer to the camera on "thing" may have worked out better too. ah well, next time :unsure:

WOW! Nice animation! It looks as good as the people who animate from Animation Mentor. To tell you the truth, this was the first animation that i have seen that was professional-like made from A:M in a while. Great work and keep it going!

Did you by any chance use any video or picture references when you made this?