Hash, Inc. Forums

wolfs, yes it sounds crazy...

Ravager

yeah, it sounds crazy, but i guess it's worth a shot. i am trying to create wolfs, specifically wolfs from the anime Wolf's Rain.

for now i am going to start with Kiba (the white wolf), so far i made an "outline" of him from these images:

post-9472-1194913643_thumb.png

post-9472-1194913794.jpg

... i am beginning with the nose, then up the face. however, i might need some tips like how to model a wolf's mouth and the eyes.

here is what i have so far in wireframe:

post-9472-1194913913_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1194913929_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1194913945_thumb.jpg

hope you like it so far, even though it sucks

thanks for the encouragement guys! here is an update on the model, only in wireframe.

oh, and i am only doing half the face... because i know i can duplicate it later

post-9472-1195182259_thumb.jpg post-9472-1195182286_thumb.jpg

please let me know of anything that is needed so far.

one more thing.... why haven't you started on this, the_black_mage? do you have a lot of work eating up your lifetime too?

...well, here's another update, half way done, at least with the model's flesh.

(hmmm, i wonder why no one has replied yet...)

(Wireframe)

post-9472-1195367191_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1195367226_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1195367255_thumb.jpg

Toon Mode

post-9472-1195367283_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1195367299_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1195367315_thumb.jpg

if there is anything that you guys think should be edited, or even encouragement, please post it!

If you are going to toon render, I would definately cut down on the amount of splines. You also have a few problem areas (3 spline intersections).

Here's is a wolf model from the AM extra cd. This should give you a good idea of the spline layout.

wolf0.jpg

You are making good progress, but down in the center of the chest it looks like you might have a couple of fishnet splines that will cause problems later on. Your control point intersections look like the splines are making right angles with themselves rather than being more or less continuous curved lines. If I have time this afternoon I will fire up photoshop and circle the splines in question. You want to fix this before you go to much farther, as it will cause problems with copy flip attach comands.

Hi Ravager...

The idea of following the guide lines was excellent, but the implementation is showing a lot of technical mistakes...

- first and more important rule when you are modeling...a single cp CAN´T be a vertex for more than 4 patches (1)

- Watch out for segments of the spline (2)

- Use the hooks with care (3)

- It is inadvisable to use hook in patches with 5/3 cps (4)

I put some indication in your image as examples

w5.jpg

Keep us updated... Good luck ...

xtaz, could you give me some advice on how i am to fix these situations that you have pointed out (ex, should i replace some hooks with 5 point patches) that would be great

...and mage, i render it in toon render because it is an anime character, therefore i believed that it should be rendered in toon mode, to see if it works out or not in toon mode. and i do plan on using hair ^_^

• 5 weeks later...
we'll you can't see any flaws in the mesh if its in toon (especially when theres no shading). and i'm not sure if using hair will work unless you strategize it so that its not on the whole body...cause having on the whole bod doesn't sound like it would work out O_o....

You make lots of sense, but I decided to try it anyways..... and I will now do them in "Final" mode for you ;)

and yes, I added fur.

post-9472-1198448237_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1198448272_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1198448292_thumb.jpg

post-9472-1198448346_thumb.jpg

any suggestions/comments would be appreciated (took me forever to groom it)

oh, btw, how do you make the ends of the hairs pointy instead of edges?

• 2 weeks later...

ok number one its goging to need to be much denser, or thicker using the time line. if you plan to do toon render the only way to can possibly render hair is to you the timeline for the thick ness to that its thick at the base then curves thing at the tip like the hair on this character....

Aaronhead.png

and this character

Untitled.png

though your doing the hair for fur you will need to have it in specific areas rather than on the entire body(unless you somehow get that to work).

also one thing about your paws is that wolves have 4 paw toes...what ever they're called.