Hash, Inc. Forums

Tippmann 98

agep

Me and a couple of my friends purchased ourself paintball markers just a week ago, and of course I had to start modeling the gun:)

Here is it in an early stage of the modelingprocess

Let me know what you think so far

Tippmann0.jpg

Thanks

So what color(s) are you today?
Haha. My cloths are painted orange while my body is red and blue (red and blue are the painful colors):) So.. colorful I would say

Thank you guys for the confidence in me:)

You should seriously think about making a DVD on how to create models is A:M
I've been thinking about it my self, but the problem is that I am really bad at teaching/explaining stuff. Another thing is that I never plan how to make the model, its all on the go, which also makes it hard to make a tutorial... well, we'll see, some day in the future maybe?

Here is a new update. I've added the air-tank which is one of the two parts that makes it look more like an paintball marker than an average weapon. Next up is the ball tank (whats the english word for that particular part?)

tippmann6.jpg

Hi Stian,

Next up is the ball tank (whats the english word for that particular part?

I was going to suggest resevoir, but Wikipedia has a diagram and says it's the hopper. BTW, I enjoy watching the progress and seeing the updates, very nice!

its all on the go, which also makes it hard to make a tutorial.

Could we ask questions just about one area? I'm curious about how you did the oval indentations on the muzzle. I think if I were modelling this I would have been lazy and used a displacement map. ;) If I were to guess, I'd say you created the oval indentation shape first, then added the little screw heads, then arranged and copied six of these into a circle, but I'm not sure what method you used to merge these into the cylinder that makes up the muzzle, other than doing it all by hand. I would love to hear how you did this part. :)

-Jim

muzzle.jpg

Wikipedia has a diagram and says it's the hopper
Thanks!

Regarding the muzzle, you are spot on (btw, they are not screw heads, but holes). I made the cylindrical shape first then made the other parts. The rest is basically a lot of mesh stitching

muzzle.jpg

Stian,

my hat off to you as always, great work! Believe it or not, but if you are planning to make a tutorial disk, you could start with a finished model and work your way backwards. Just that little diagram you gave on how to make the oval indentation is a little gem. A tut doesn't have to show every stitch, but tricky, difficult parts could be explained just like you did above. I would also buy a tut from you in a second.

Holy cow! I figured you used some automated method, like some magical use of the Duplicator wizard, or Sweeper. To stitch all those in by hand - that's amazing. :)
I do however use the Duplicator wizard and Sweeper allot on my models. I used the Duplicator wizard to place those holes around the muzzle, then I had to break up the cylinder to stitch it all together. It didn't take very long to do it

I've finally added the hopper ;) and therefor consider the modeling part of this project done. Next up is to add some textures and materials

tippmann7.jpg

I consider it just another run of the mill masterpiece - just like your other master pieces :P

Just beautiful, Stian.

Thanks Dhar:)

That really looks awesome. You should show Tippmann; maybe they'll give you some money if you let them use it on their site.

Did you go with Nitrogen or CO2?

Thanks! I've sent them a link, but I don't expect an answer. I went with air, since that is the most stable to use in Norway's hostile winter climate

• 3 weeks later...