Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

a Walk in the park

Hey guys was needing some C&C on this first segment of the new proj I'm working on.

Just want to focus on the bum action for now.

walk_in_the_park.mov

Here what I'm seeing:

The walk looks a bit mechanical; I was thinking about maybe adding in Squash and stretch but was afraid it would take away from the "stamper scuffle" I was going for.

and the "plop" down to sitting overshoot seems kind off too.

thanks ahead of time guys

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty good. I don't think you need a squash & stretch for a walk cycle. But what caught my eye was the fact that there was no follow through on the head! Which is why its giving you that "mechanical" feel. After the hip moves forward, you need to follow through the chest and then the head, which will loosen things up.

Try not to concentrate too much on one thing, spread the work all over your character.

• Hash Fellow

one odd thing i notice about the walk is that the hips stop moving forward and drop straight down on the contact poses (when the heel first contacts the ground). Also the swinging of the arm carrying the radio is very erratic. An arm carrying a heavy weight like that would only move a little as the person was walking.

I totally agree with Robert.

Overall, I also think that your basic parts need to be smoothed and check the arcs of the hips, etc. Also, remember that bady parts rarely arrive at the same time...so make sure to have your parts move through their motions without hitting at the same time. That causes it to look more robotic than organic if it all happens at the same time on the same frame, etc.

If you're going to leave the guy sitting on the bench, make sure he reacts in some way :) If that guy walked past him....surely he'd look or something.

A really neat idea you have going their. Keep forward on it.

William

Professional Animator ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys round 2

Did some adjusting to the bum walk off set the head and weighted the radio a bit more.

Add the animation of the guy on the bench

a_walk_in_the_park_V2.mov

Here what I'm seeing:

I feel I'm overacting the bench guy, Am I trying to put too many emotional phases in too little a time span? Are his phases logical (I know what he is thinking, but do you?)

THe bum actions need some polish. The dynanic contraint on the hat droop is going crazy after the walk cycle. The main issue I'm running into is with using the IK Arms Targets, the inbetweens become jumpy (I.E. the hand will flip over mid pass and then right itself at the keyframe) Any of you guys know a remedy for this?

thanks again guys

Much improved; you're getting some character into the guy. And I love the specatator.

What still bothers me about him is that his swaying left and right seems almost a greater distance at the shoulder than the distance his feet move forward. For me, this makes it look like his foot movement is an artifact of the swaying rather than the swaying being an artifact of the foot movement. If you are going for a silly cartoony look this may be OK, but I think he would be more believable if the largest motion in walking was the foot movement. Also the swaying seems a little mechanical, so perhaps you can have it lead or lag the other motions a bit to loosen it up.

Keep up the good work!

-Vance

• 1 month later...

Okay guys I think I'm almost to the finish line. I feel like I have a few items to adjust still before completion. If you guys have the time; would be so kind to tear this apart; it would be a great help. C&C is always welcome.

Here I'm am putting a low rez mov(for space reasons) the quaility of the mov. file is not the best but hopefully the animation is

T_Boogie_low.mov

Thanks in advance!