Hash, Inc. Forums

Huge Update on Masterchief

Cross

Very nicely done David. Looks like you were really working to keep the spline count down while still getting lots of detail - bravo. Wait, did I see another render with a black background? Well, I forgive you this time, since I can actually see the model in this one ;)

I'm really looking forward to the first few action clips. Keep up the great work.

Eric

ps. Save your attachments as jpg's, bmp's are too big and take too long to load.

Very nicely done David. Looks like you were really working to keep the spline count down while still getting lots of detail - bravo. Wait, did I see another render with a black background? Well, I forgive you this time, since I can actually see the model in this one ;)

I'm really looking forward to the first few action clips. Keep up the great work.

Eric

ps. Save your attachments as jpg's, bmp's are too big and take too long to load.

Yeah, i ended up pressing "render as BMP sequence" instead of JPG sequence the first time, caught myself and reposted the JPG one. I found out last time that bmps are too big. Thanks though :D

Nice work...I'm impressed! I can't wait to see him in action either!

A few notes:

1. Do you have photoshop? It looks like your textures that you're using now could be used as a bump map. If you did that then you could green up the map in photoshop, add some color detail and then save it seperately and use it as a color map.

2. The black parts look completely black (RGB 0,0,0) I would make it a lighter black (and maybe a little roughness) so the details could really come out.

3. If you added a little specular intensity and size to the whole model that would look really cool (espially if you used a bump map on the armor parts).

Keep up the good work!

Lee

Nice work...I'm impressed! I can't wait to see him in action either!

A few notes:

1. Do you have photoshop? It looks like your textures that you're using now could be used as a bump map. If you did that then you could green up the map in photoshop, add some color detail and then save it seperately and use it as a color map.

2. The black parts look completely black (RGB 0,0,0) I would make it a lighter black (and maybe a little roughness) so the details could really come out.

3. If you added a little specular intensity and size to the whole model that would look really cool (espially if you used a bump map on the armor parts).

Keep up the good work!

Lee

I'll try that all later once i figure out if the decals move okay, or if they brake. Thanks so much for the info tho! i knida panned on editing in photoshop more once i have everything set. What i DO need to know is how do you do a bump map? Isn't there some way to make the decals like... pop out of the model? I'm asking because i want to keep the spline count extremely minimal for the actual action packed scenes im planning.

What i DO need to know is how do you do a bump map? Isn't there some way to make the decals like... pop out of the model?

Easy! Once you have you're color map applied, you right click the images folder inside the color map decal and choose add image and then click you're bump map (for testing you can just use the map you're using as your color map). So now there are two images in the images folder. Click the one you want to use for your bump map and in the properties panel under Type choose "Bump".

I hope that wasn't something you already knew...maybe I misunderstood the question.

Hope it helps though!

Lee

What i DO need to know is how do you do a bump map? Isn't there some way to make the decals like... pop out of the model?

Easy! Once you have you're color map applied, you right click the images folder inside the color map decal and choose add image and then click you're bump map (for testing you can just use the map you're using as your color map). So now there are two images in the images folder. Click the one you want to use for your bump map and in the properties panel under Type choose "Bump".

I hope that wasn't something you already knew...maybe I misunderstood the question.

Hope it helps though!

Lee

no, thanks! this was actually EXACTLY what i was looking for... i havent messed around with that stuff quite yet, so ill try it out.

hmmm, looks like it still needs that bump....plus the texture is stretching....

yea, i fixed the texture stretching by turning his body back around. Thats pretty hard to avoid, but i still do need to do the bump map. The main reason why im not using a bump map now is to make it not lag while im making the movie at first, understand? :D

hmmm, looks like it still needs that bump....plus the texture is stretching....

yea, i fixed the texture stretching by turning his body back around. Thats pretty hard to avoid, but i still do need to do the bump map. The main reason why im not using a bump map now is to make it not lag while im making the movie at first, understand? :D

You can fix that with bones.

If you have a bone for every spline ring that runs horizontally, set to orient like the hips at

decreasing values.... that's just one variation of handling it.

If you have a bone for every spline ring that runs horizontally, set to orient like the hips at

alright, i'll try that sooner or later. With my operating system a lot of the bone modeling should be done all at once and never changed after... since it lags like hell when i try to. Eh, I'll still try that when i take this project home to work on. At the moment, im working on this as my senior project at school.

alright, i'll try that sooner or later. With my operating system a lot of the bone modeling should be done all at once and never changed after... since it lags like hell when i try to. Eh, I'll still try that when i take this project home to work on. At the moment, im working on this as my senior project at school.

MASSIVE NEW UPDATE!

Working on the run cycle right now, adding motion blur is a major plus to the smoothness, and yeah, i'm going for a slow motion look.

First_Shot.mov

I was unable to see this.

what sort of file is this?

its the quicktime file, what one should i upload? I mean, i tried the AVI and it didnt work, and now this one wont... i'm confused, let me try to render it differently.

its the quicktime file, what one should i upload? I mean, i tried the AVI and it didnt work, and now this one wont... i'm confused, let me try to render it differently.
QuickTime is fine, but it looks like your file is corrupted or something.. its only 32bytes in size

QuickTime is fine, but it looks like your file is corrupted or something.. its only 32bytes in size

Alrite, i'll try re-rendering it a few times, doesnt take too long, Thanks

My qtpro on windows xp was unable to open it....

Yeah, this is REALLY strange, I've rendered it a few times and still nothing. Once the render is complete, and i scrub throught it, theres nothing, just a blue screen. I'm wondering if i messed up a setting or something because the AVI is perfect, but this site cant support AVI's, already tried to upload one... i've uploaded before... but i had someone else show me how. Sorry, this may take a while.

Yeah, this is REALLY strange, I've rendered it a few times and still nothing. Once the render is complete, and i scrub throught it, theres nothing, just a blue screen. I'm wondering if i messed up a setting or something because the AVI is perfect, but this site cant support AVI's, already tried to upload one... i've uploaded before... but i had someone else show me how. Sorry, this may take a while.

FINALLY! I think i got it! I had to change it back to "M-PEG Movie" format. The other person on this station put it to "Animation" when i wasn't here...

First_Shot.mov

Here's a new shot of the whole "bridge" scene I'm planning

Halo2 Fans should probably recognize this level immediately XD

I still have to fix the lighting...supposed to be dark, but not TOO dark like it is now.

post-10955-1194378464_thumb.jpg

post-10955-1194378607_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...