Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Decal breaks apart

bighop

Well I have another decal question. I made a model of a math book I use at my school. Another model I made will carry it. The model has patterns from the surface color breaking through. I need the surface color to match the decal.

Any suggestions?

Picture_1.png

Picture_3.png

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It tried that....at least I think I did. I selected the four points that make up that patch, and right clicked to Flip Normals.

I have a lot of patches on this model....is too much the cause?

Why 30 patchs (or is there more)? Why not one for front, one for back and so on for sides? If you need it to bend (a soft cover book) then use 4 patches for front/back.

When you apply the image, do you apply it to more then a single layer of patches? Do you apply it to the front and back at the same time? Its hard to know what it going on. Those squares of missing image are... wrong.

r

Rusty:

I had so many patches for two reasons....One I was trying to get the book to have the over hang that the cover places over the pages. The book is hard cover, and as of now will not open. The other reason is simple....I don't have a good grasp on modeling an object.

I haven't tried layers. So maybe too many patches is not a good thing.

Ken:

I haven't tried applying another image.

I may give this another shot with less patches to see if that clears things up.

Thanks for the input, as always this form is a good help!

A couple of other things that might be helpful. Use the Patch Selection tool to select the patches you don't have (it's the one that shows a white pointer touching a pink patch.) Also, if you right click on the decal folder of your model in the PWS, you can select "Group Undecaled Control Points."

The model has patterns from the surface color breaking through.

Perhaps at one point you extruded the 30 patched cover - and you have a double layer (ie 60 patches) for the cover. Perhaps you are seeing the second layer showing thru.

Even so - whenever you have patches that don't seem to have the decal applied - you can always right click on DECALS in the PWS for the model and select "group undecaled control points" - you will then isolate the patches that still need to be stamped - and then can reapply the decal just to those patches.

FYI, the face normals don't matter for decaling (for other things it definitely does matter) - you would still see the decal if it were applied, even if the face normals were wrong.

doublepatch.jpg

Thanks for all the replies! I rebuild the model with much less splines and it works just fine. So I guess less is more with this program? I don't know if there is a hard set rule, or rules of thumb to keep in mind when modeling.

Thanks again everyone.

Less is more... that is correct. But usually there is no limit in any direction. Less splines are better to handle for you, so you should aim for that anyway.

I think the rebuilding was the solution. Maybe there was a corrupt patch or something like that involved... a bit odd, but it can happen. It would be interesting to see, if it would be the same when you rebuilt the model with equal amount of splines... but if you got your problem solved it doesnt matter anyway.

*Fuchur*