Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Selection sets

robcat2075

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dimly recall there is a way to make Selection Sets in A:M and someone described it here on the forum.

Can anyone point me to that? I tried searching for it but didnt' get meaningful results.

I'm not sure what you're looking for, Robert...could it be "Key Groups"?

If that's what you mean, the original method we were using was determined to make things more unstable by the Hash programmers. Bob Croucher made a "Tech Talk" that showed the method that was decided would be better, it's located here (Tech Talk #10, Key Group Poses).

Hope that helps...if it's what you meant. :) If I guessed wrong, I could always take another stab at it.

• Hash Fellow
I'm not sure what you're looking for, Robert...could it be "Key Groups"?

If that's what you mean, the original method we were using was determined to make things more unstable by the Hash programmers. Bob Croucher made a "Tech Talk" that showed the method that was decided would be better, it's located here (Tech Talk #10, Key Group Poses).

Hope that helps...if it's what you meant. :) If I guessed wrong, I could always take another stab at it.

Key Groups sounds familiar. Not quite the same as a "selection set" but that' probably what I remember being discussed. The video seems to be down so I'll have to wait for them to correct the link before I can check that out.

I wonder if there is a way to make something that would multiple select some pre-defined, arbitrary group of bones?

thanks

• Hash Fellow

I watched the Tech Talk and Method #2 seems to be close to what I'm seeking.

From the tech talk it appears that I could make poses that key some arbitrary set of bones in a certain position... for example, make a "fist" with the right hand.

Then it appears, that rather than turn that pose ON or OFF to make a fist, I could drag it onto my character in the chor and those bones that are involved in the fist pose will get explicitly keyed into that position no matter what postion they were in before.

I could make poses for "fist", "Point", "Peace sign" or whatever and drag them onto my character on any frame I want and not have to worry about turning OFF a pose I had used previously as I would when using poses in the conventional manner.

That's what it appears I should be able to do , but so far I haven't succeeded in getting a dragged pose to have any effect on the character. No keyframes of any sort are created on the character.

Any idea what I'm missing?

I watched the Tech Talk and Method #2 seems to be close to what I'm seeking.

From the tech talk it appears that I could make poses that key some arbitrary set of bones in a certain position... for example, make a "fist" with the right hand.

Then it appears, that rather than turn that pose ON or OFF to make a fist, I could drag it onto my character in the chor and those bones that are involved in the fist pose will get explicitly keyed into that position no matter what postion they were in before.

I could make poses for "fist", "Point", "Peace sign" or whatever and drag them onto my character on any frame I want and not have to worry about turning OFF a pose I had used previously as I would when using poses in the conventional manner.

That's what it appears I should be able to do , but so far I haven't succeeded in getting a dragged pose to have any effect on the character. No keyframes of any sort are created on the character.

Any idea what I'm missing?

If you set the keying to "Key Branch" or "Key Model" it should work...if it's on "Key Bone", it doesn't (of course, "Key Bone" is what it needs to be set to when making the Poses).

Hope that helps, Robert.

• Hash Fellow
If you set the keying to "Key Branch" or "Key Model" it should work...if it's on "Key Bone", it doesn't (of course, "Key Bone" is what it needs to be set to when making the Poses).

That was it. thanks!

I notice you also have to have all the correct filters enabled such as rotation, translation etc...

This is very powerful. I guess it's been around for years?

Now if we could somehow put Poses into a "Library" and associate a picture with each one we'd just about have the "GUI Picker" that is such a big deal in other apps.

That was it. thanks!

I notice you also have to have all the correct filters enabled such as rotation, translation etc...

This is very powerful. I guess it's been around for years?

Now if we could somehow put Poses into a "Library" and associate a picture with each one we'd just about have the "GUI Picker" that is such a big deal in other apps.

Not a problem, Robert.

It has been around for just under two years (if my memory is correct). It's a powerful feature waiting to be championed.

• Hash Fellow

Our TWO characters are pretty much final now, so it would be bad for me to create some of these type of poses and save them into a character.

I'm wondering if there's any way for me to create a set of them that is external to the character's file? We can make an action or material that is saved separately from a character but there's no way to do that with a pose, AFAIK?

There doesn't seem to be way to trick a model into taking poses dragged from some other character either.

Our TWO characters are pretty much final now, so it would be bad for me to create some of these type of poses and save them into a character.

I'm wondering if there's any way for me to create a set of them that is external to the character's file? We can make an action or material that is saved separately from a character but there's no way to do that with a pose, AFAIK?

There doesn't seem to be way to trick a model into taking poses dragged from some other character either.

You could make an Action, then use "Create Pose" from the Action menu to make it a Pose.

Hope that helps, Robert.

• 2 months later...
  • Hash Fellow
You could make an Action, then use "Create Pose" from the Action menu to make it a Pose.

I'm just getting back to trying this... but as far as I can tell, I can't make a "pose" in an "action".

Is this something new in a version after V13?

edit: wait I found it in the top menu. I was looking at the popup menu...

• Hash Fellow

hmmm... investigating further...

The Action menu does have "Create Pose" but the pose it creates shows up inthe PWS tree for the model not in the Action. And it doesn't open up a window to make a pose with anyway. I bet the appearance of "Create Pose" is a bug since it would need to offer the option of percentage/ON-OFF to be proper.