Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Newbie - Need to have 3D Text follow outside surface

Hi Everyone,

I am making a Honey Pot and I would like the 3D Text to sit on the outside surface of my pot. Instead of using decal, I want the text to have 3d thickness.

Would anyone know how to do this?

Also, I lost the model 3x when I hit the undo button two times in a row. I thinking it might be related to the curled in top surface. Was I going too fast? Have you ever run into this before?

Thanks, Bob

post-11206-1193163338_thumb.jpg

post-11206-1193163346_thumb.jpg

post-11206-1193163351_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Everyone,

I am making a Honey Pot and I would like the 3D Text to sit on the outside surface of my pot. Instead of using decal, I want the text to have 3d thickness.

Would anyone know how to do this?

Also, I lost the model 3x when I hit the undo button two times in a row. I thinking it might be related to the curled in top surface. Was I going too fast? Have you ever run into this before?

Thanks, Bob

Probably the most irritating way to do this, would be to curve and fit the CP's of the 3-D text. The most simple way to do this would to not use A:M text, but instead to use a program such as photoshop or paint to make DARK GREY lettering "Hunny" Then to copy that text, and Paste it as BLACK LETTERING and have it over it, so it gives it a 3-D shadowing effect, Then you can Apply that image as a decal. This is probably the method i'd use... but im lazy :D

Thanks, I understand....and agree!

As a newbie, the decal is nothing more than a jpg that is then applied to model.

Where directory should I place the jpg so I will be able to see it in A:M and then apply it to the model?

Thanks again, Bob

Under the "Project workspace" (Alt+3) You'll find an "images" folder. If you double click on that, it should let you upload an image. As for where to put the file, make sure it's in the same folder as your project... sometimes projects can do messed up stuff when you dont have the picture and the project together...makes total sense XD

Hi Johnl3d,

This sounds like a great idea.

I'm a newbie in A:M, but I have about 7 years of modeling experience in Pro/e.

I understand the concept, but I not famialiar with the terminology.

Could you explain this phrase a little more?

"have the text as a chain of bones with each letter its own bone"

I think I'm close to understanding, i just need a little nudge.

Thanks, Bob

Great, thanks Cross, I appreciate your help.....

Bob

No problem!

Well, what he means by this, is if you use the BONE MODE, (F6) you can use the Add tool to create bones which can have chosen controlpoints assigned to them, in a case where you can make a NEW ACTION and have the letters "snake" around the hunny jar. In your case, make five bones, all attatched, one per letter.

Actually if you model the vase and text in the same model then assign a bone to each one with path constraint to spline on vase then you would set the ease of each letter to position it. If time allow I will post a simple version if needed. hint since bones will line up with path if you want the text to be partially into the vase you can position the bones on the model for that or adjust the offset in each constraint.

I am trying it now, I can add the bone, but I couldn't find a way to assign a constraint while in the Modeling mode.

I also created a letter, but unfortunately I couldn't constrain it to the bone or the spline.

There must be something I am missing. Maybe I am just not picking the correct menu picks.

Also, on a side note, I did find the "surface constraint" in the help menu. It's for following a spline, but can only be used in the Chcoreography mode or at least I think.

Thanks again, Bob

I am trying it now, I can add the bone, but I couldn't find a way to assign a constraint while in the Modeling mode.

I also created a letter, but unfortunately I couldn't constrain it to the bone or the spline.

There must be something I am missing. Maybe I am just not picking the correct menu picks.

You are right that you can't do constraints in modeling mode.

But you could assign the cp's of each letter to a different bone (in bones mode) and move the bones (using the translate & rotate manipulators) to where you want the letters to intersect the jar.

You could also just move the cp's of the letters in modeling mode (no bones) to intersect the jar.

There are many different ways to do it (as the other examples showed as well). Just depends on what you want to do with this. If you want to animate the letters - then use bones.

If you really wanted to use constraints for the model - you would create a pose/relationship & do the constraints (translate, orient) in the pose. The pose could be turned on and off - But my guess is that you don't want to animate the letters to be stuck & unstuck to the jar.

This is a simple job to the super Distortion Mode tool.... as you can see here:

dist.jpg

or you can use a displacement map...

decal.jpg

Great, this is what I am looking for!!

I can't seem to find anything in the book on how to do this.

How do you use this tool and where is it located? Do you need to group the text and then right click for something?

This is what I have so far?

post-11206-1193232169_thumb.jpg

You are looking for the distortion box icon (right next to the model mode icon).

You will probably want to distort each letter separately.

So make a group for each letter. Lock the letter. And hit the distortion box icon - then manipulate the distortion box splines so that the letter fits the curvature of the jar

distortionbox.jpg