Hash, Inc. Forums

squetch rig dynamics

mtpeak2

For anyone that uses the squetch rig, would this be of interest?

I've been experimenting with adding a dynamic setup to the squetch rig. This setup is for the chest and stomach areas using the chest_IO_geom and the stomach_IO_geom bones. There will be an on/off pose to turn the dynamics on/off, a percentage slider for drag, and percentage slider for enforcement. These bones are mainly used for weighting, so depending on how you weight your model, you will get different results.

Here's an example.

dynamic_test.mov

Dhar, there already is a breathing feature, it's the chest_IO pose in the torso folder. Just create an action animating the chest_IO pose slider, one cycle. Apply the action to your model set it to repeat or animate it one cycle in the chor and set the post interpolation to repeat. Just make sure you add weighting to the chest_IO_geom bone.

I vote for adding jiggle. We could also add some to the thighs, calves, biceps and face.

Survey says... okay.

BUT... if this were software I'd say "Only if you can make it a descrete sub-system isolated from the main rig. Something that can removed or added without affecting the rest of the rig and, if possigble, make it an add-on that can be installed on models that already have the latest Squetch rig installed." My concern is that new versions with new features are coming out faster then existing versions can be fully tested -- its becoming a moving target. The latest version most likey has more bugs in it that no one has found yet (we just found several and I may have found another). I'm also concerned that the rig is getting too complex. This mainly impacts the people who support it and have to find and fix bugs... which in turn affects the users who want it to 'work'. Please don't create something that colapses under its own weight.

And again, I strongly suggest that you have a production version and an alpha/beta/new release versions.

Just my 2 cents,

Rusty

PS: I'm thinking that the rig could have a 'self-testing' system... just create a project that exercises ever aspect of the model (or perhaps even better a group of project files that test different systems -- new features, add another project that tests these to the test suite). When a new version comes out, sub-in the new version and sit back and watch.

Rusty, this is an easy add-on or can be removed quite easily.

P.S. This is a bug-free setup. ;)

Also, you can choose whatever version you want as your production version, it's up to you whether or not you want to update to a version that has more features, noone is twisting your arm to update. Bug fixes, for the mostpart, are easily fixed by dragging and dropping a new relationship onto your model.

Rusty, this is an easy add-on or can be removed quite easily.

P.S. This is a bug-free setup. ;)

Also, you can choose whatever version you want as your production version, it's up to you whether or not you want to update to a version that has more features, noone is twisting your arm to update. Bug fixes, for the mostpart, are easily fixed by dragging and dropping a new relationship onto your model.

You crack me up sometimes! "This is a bug-free setup" is a contridiction. I was tring to be helpful (to you and David), not poop on anyone's parade. Sorry. I'll just be quite and thankful for you and David's efforts.

r

How's this for a jiggle setup?

Added dynamic constraints to the hips lower controller, chest controller, head manual control, shoulder controls, hand controllers, the hand gizmos (CFingers) and the eye aimer bone.

All I did was animate the hip null.

LOL.. He looks very loose.

It would be interesting to try that setup applied to an acting shot. Something that automatically loosened up a character would be way cool.

How's this for a jiggle setup?

Added dynamic constraints to the hips lower controller, chest controller, head manual control, shoulder controls, hand controllers, the hand gizmos (CFingers) and the eye aimer bone.

All I did was animate the hip null.

LOL.. He looks very loose.

It would be interesting to try that setup applied to an acting shot. Something that automatically loosened up a character would be way cool.

He's shaking out the bugs. :lol:

Chris, added ku-klip jiggle model to svn, for testing (animation controls>jiggle controls), chest and stomach only. The default is on and the default settings work pretty well. I also turned on the auto hips (animation controls>leg

controls), I think that will help in some of his dance moves. ;)

This is a separate version Nancy (Ku-Klip_jiggle model). I did not save over the previous version. If the jiggle is needed for all the other scenes then I'll turn the auto hips off.

Auto hips aim the hips_lower_controller between the two foot targets, it still can be used manually. I'm not sure why more people don't use it more.

Auto hips aim the hips_lower_controller between the two foot targets, it still can be used manually. I'm not sure why more people don't use it more.

Probably because "auto hips" is an unknown ... I was thinking it was sorta like that "balance" thing in the 2001 rig which was awful.

I don't know why I would want to have the lower hip controller point between the feet .. I use the lower hip controller for more curvy body poses and more than likely, I don't aim it between the feet.

I see what you're saying, more natural for a hoooman...but sometimes (a lotta times) one wants these toons to do unbalanced or unhoomanly things. More extreme, exaggerated poses

The second does look like a nicer, more balanced eventual final pose - which when I look at it is how I might have aimed the hip controller manually myself, contradicting what I said before. I also could see instances of the first pose as well. It's also the transitioning between poses that one might want to animate the hip controller such that it lags or precedes the leg movement. I might also have made the hip controller point more towards the back, or front depending on what I did with the hips, head, and chest controllers.

It's nice to have the option.

A contridiction? Why?

You must not be happy with Hash Inc when they post new updates with bug fixes and new features then. ;)

Hey, I'm sorry for suggesting that the Squetch rig has bugs. That was stupid of me and I don't know what I was thinking of. You, David and others have worked hard to provide this really cool rig and your support (especially to me) has been exemplary. I think I was having a brain fart. :-) My only intention was to make a few suggestions that might help you.

To a person with my background 'all' complex systems, whether from NASA, IBM or the US Army Corp of Engineers (or anyone) have 'bugs' -- esoterically, mathematically it is impossible for them not to. Iandependent studies done in the early 80s by all of the aforementioned institutions concluded this and probably planted this mind set in my head and sadly, experience reinforced it. For the most part, this is one of those lofty, theoretical, mathematical views that does not pertain to the real world that much. In this case the system is not constrained to normal or expected usage and is wide open to any circumstance.

Rusty

A contridiction? Why?

You must not be happy with Hash Inc when they post new updates with bug fixes and new features then. ;)

Hey, I'm sorry for suggesting that the Squetch rig has bugs. That was stupid of me and I don't know what I was thinking of. You, David and others have worked hard to provide this really cool rig and your support (especially to me) has been exemplary. I think I was having a brain fart. :-) My only intention was to make a few suggestions that might help you.

To a person with my background 'all' complex systems, whether from NASA, IBM or the US Army Corp of Engineers (or anyone) have 'bugs' -- esoterically, mathematically it is impossible for them not to. Iandependent studies done in the early 80s by all of the aforementioned institutions concluded this and probably planted this mind set in my head and sadly, experience reinforced it. For the most part, this is one of those lofty, theoretical, mathematical views that does not pertain to the real world that much. In this case the system is not constrained to normal or expected usage and is wide open to any circumstance.

Rusty

Rusty, all I meant by "bug-free" was the possible dynamic feature, not the whole rig.

As Mark said, the dynamic feature wouldn't have much of a chance to have a bug...although there is always a possibility for a bug somewhere in the rig. We do our best to fix anything that pops up. If anyone runs across anything, let us know and we'll do our best to track it down and provide a quick fix.

If anyone runs across anything, let us know and we'll do our best to track it down and provide a quick fix.

Since you ask. :P

Something has changed with Scarecrows hat.....the end of it. Load him into an action and don't move him. Press play and watch his hat take on a life of its own. Or perhaps it's a local/AM problem. v14b.

Between 44% and 64% stiffness, the settlings seems to take a long time. Nothing I can do about that, except for changing the default settings of the pose slider stiffness to say 64% or higher, I don't think we want it as low as 44%.

Edit: It's not a problem in v13t. It looks like a v14 issue.

Between 44% and 64% stiffness, the settlings seems to take a long time. Nothing I can do about that, except for changing the default settings of the pose slider stiffness to say 64% or higher, I don't think we want it as low as 44%.

Edit: It's not a problem in v13t. It looks like a v14 issue.

Oh.... please... say its not so! If this is a V14 bug can someone who has an example of this please report it. And can each and everyone of you say a prayer along with me that Hash fixes this in V14 and not make this another "this will be fixed in V15" sorrow.

I need the current production version of AM to work on this one.

Thanks!

Rusty