Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Project Brimstone

Hey all,

I still haven't talked to Martin about this issue, but I figure that I'd switch around some obvious things, if for nothing else than to have a little fun!

Here's the corny story I came up with:

Cameron Keene, part-time marine, was enlisted by the shadowy group Nightrun Inc. to be the soldier inside their latest covert program, Project Brimstone.

Reluctantly, Keene agreed and found himself in the laboratory of Dr. Walter A. Buchanon (later to be his the Keene's evil nemesis Dr. Canon :D) being hooked to a rugged suit of armor loaded with every kind of fire arm possible. Wires extruded from his body, sensors monitored his vital organs and soon he became a living weopon!

...How's that, aside from waaaay campy?

Here's the WIP:

cameronkeene2.JPG

Here's the final minus tint/bloom post effects, DOF and hair

finalcameronkeenewip.JPG

What do you think?

Lee

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it looks great, Lee!

And I like the backstory so much that I've written a theme song!

(To the tune of "The Flintstones")

Brimstone!

Project Brimstone!

Got enlisted by Nightrun, Inc.

Cam Keene

(former Marine)

Found out Doc Buchanon was a fink

In a suit of armor, watch him fly

He's got lots of wires in his thigh

When you're

Project Brimstone

You are nothing like that guy by Stan Lee!

Brimstone!

Project Brimstone!

Cam Keene

(former Marine)

When you're

Project Brimstone

LOL cant stop laughing

Great song

pink with bunnies.

YES! Why didn't I think of this before?! In addition, perhaps his face should be painted like a mime...or maybe a doll :D

pink with bunnies? don't be ridiculous - duckies I say! (how quickly they forget)

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?s=&am...st&p=217491

Haha! Can't go wrong with the duckies...maybe bunnies on top and duckies on the bottom?

Brimstone!

Project Brimstone!

Cam Keene

(former Marine)

When you're

Project Brimstone

:D :D :D That's one of the first times when I was truly laughing out loud at the something that someone wrote! Careful though, I hear that song is copyright material ;)

Thanks for the laughs everybody, I needed that!

Lee

I think it looks a lot more like something out of the military.

My suggestion is that you make the under armor a matte black and the covering armor a color or a chrome, maybe even an odd translucent material.

Btw, I am replying via wifi internet on my new ipod. It really is amazing what these things can do.

Ben

Haha! Oh crap! I forgot all about that.... thanks for sharing. We should DEFINATELY go with that one! :D

EDIT

I got to thinking about this and thought: what if Doctor Buchanon (or Doc Canon) was a real bad guy instead just some made up one? What would he look like?

Although I'm not really that skilled as a concept artist I came up with this today:

doc_buchanon.jpg

What do you think? I wish I had time to model it...oh well

Lee

That's a seriously scary looking villain. I think it would be cool to be able to see the two squaring off!

One note, though. You've got his jacket buttoned on the side a ladies jacket would button on. I make that mistake a lot! Last year I did a Frankenstein standee for A&W Root Beer and it made it all the way into printing without me noticing it. :-)

Thanks Caleb!

One note, though. You've got his jacket buttoned on the side a ladies jacket would button on. I make that mistake a lot! Last year I did a Frankenstein standee for A&W Root Beer and it made it all the way into printing without me noticing it. :-)

Mark I think just the part that you did a standee for A & W Root Beer is cool enough, but now that's it's relevant to what I'm doing, it's even cooler! Do you still have it? Could you post it here...uh...for reference purposes. I wanna see!

As far as the jacket goes...I wish this was the first time I had made this mistake, but it's not. You get into "the zone" and you forget about stuff like that. There's also something seriously messed up with his right arm around the elbow area. But...for my first piece of real character concept art, I'm pretty pleased.

I really wish I had time to model it for real. Oh well...

Lee

Thanks Caleb!

Mark I think just the part that you did a standee for A & W Root Beer is cool enough, but now that's it's relevant to what I'm doing, it's even cooler! Do you still have it? Could you post it here...uh...for reference purposes. I wanna see!

As far as the jacket goes...I wish this was the first time I had made this mistake, but it's not. You get into "the zone" and you forget about stuff like that. There's also something seriously messed up with his right arm around the elbow area. But...for my first piece of real character concept art, I'm pretty pleased.

I really wish I had time to model it for real. Oh well...

Lee

Haha, well it's not as cool as it sounds. I never had it fully explained to me, but the client had sent out an order form to their regional people for them to order pieces for the Halloween promotion and for some reason they offered a Frankenstein standee that they didn't actually have. Not sure what they were thinking. :-) Anyway, it was something I literally had to turn around in a day. Which always seems to be the case, unfortunately. I've got plenty of time to work on the dull stuff, but give me something fun to do and I have to hurry with it... Looking at it now, I see a hundred things I'd change, but I think it came out okay.

Here's a picture of the actual standee. It stands 5 feet tall:

frank.jpg

The client was thrilled with it, but I'm sure that was mostly because they were able to get it done at the last minute for cheap. :-)

They never noticed the jacket blunder. :-)

I usually try to look down at the buttons on my shirt when I do something with buttons, but I still miss it often. Not sure why it's such a hard thing to remember. :-)

I think the concept is way more important than the elbows, Lee. :-)

You should really take some notebooks with you and fill them up with designs. You could come up with the whole story and designs in 2 years. Then you can come back and make a really cool webcomic out of it!

Thanks for posting that Mark! You're very talented; the A:M community is lucky to have you. As far as the jacket goes, I'd be surprised if anybody noticed it aside from you. I mean look at how far the male-uddered cows got in the movie Barnyard. Good thing us artists think about stuff like this, otherwise the general population would be living in visual ignorance :D

What kind of schooling did you have? Have you always been able to draw? Great work, I love it! You always have so much personality in your work!

I agree about the Brimstone thing. For being such a quick story and concept, it came out pretty decent. Maybe I'll keep working with it!

Lee

Thanks for posting that Mark! You're very talented; the A:M community is lucky to have you. As far as the jacket goes, I'd be surprised if anybody noticed it aside from you. I mean look at how far the male-uddered cows got in the movie Barnyard. Good thing us artists think about stuff like this, otherwise the general population would be living in visual ignorance :D

What kind of schooling did you have? Have you always been able to draw? Great work, I love it! You always have so much personality in your work!

I agree about the Brimstone thing. For being such a quick story and concept, it came out pretty decent. Maybe I'll keep working with it!

Lee

Thanks, Lee, that's nice of you to say. I was an art major my first year in college, but then switched majors and got my degree in journalism. (And then ended up becoming a graphic designer... meaning if I'd stayed as an art major, I'd probably be a reporter today.) :-) I've always liked to draw, but always thought I would be a writer. I've always known people who were much better at drawing than me. But I do love humor and cartoons. I take the personality compliment as high praise. In the real world, though, I don't get a lot of respect for my illustrations. It's astonishing to me how many people there are who lack any sense of humor and look down on cartoons. Folks can be pretty brutal in their condemnation.

You should definitely keep working on it. Even if you end up not doing Project Brimstone, you'll likely come up with stuff you can use in other projects. That way when you come back from your mission trip, you'll have a bunch of stuff you can hit the ground running with.