Hash, Inc. Forums

A thumb question...

rusty

David or Mark...

The thumb on my model does not point in the correct direction. The fix for the thumb problem shown below, for the Squetch rig anyway, seems to be a modeling one (and then the related geom bone adjustment). This is because there seems to be no way to rotate the thumb as indicated in the image. However it would save me time if I could find a 'quick and dirty' fix.

Thumb.jpg

I was thinking of a new pose that would rotate the thumb and I envisioned rotating the thumb geometry bones however, they won't rotate. Can you think of a way that I can do a 'quick and dirty' fix for this? Is there a bone I can use in a pose to rotate the thumb?

On this model (e.g. this outfit) the hands are not so important and I can get by... I think anyway. I don't think it's worth starting over anyway. Still if I can kludge it somehow, it'd be safer.

Thanks!

Rusty

Edit: Thumbs often point the wrong way... perhaps a way to rotate them might be a good idea (if there isn't already a way I just don't know about).

David or Mark...

The thumb on my model does not point in the correct direction. The fix for the thumb problem shown below, for the Squetch rig anyway, seems to be a modeling one (and then the related geom bone adjustment). This is because there seems to be no way to rotate the thumb as indicated in the image. However it would save me time if I could find a 'quick and dirty' fix.

Thumb.jpg

I was thinking of a new pose that would rotate the thumb and I envisioned rotating the thumb geometry bones however, they won't rotate. Can you think of a way that I can do a 'quick and dirty' fix for this? Is there a bone I can use in a pose to rotate the thumb?

On this model (e.g. this outfit) the hands are not so important and I can get by... I think anyway. I don't think it's worth starting over anyway. Still if I can kludge it somehow, it'd be safer.

Thanks!

Rusty

Edit: Thumbs often point the wrong way... perhaps a way to rotate them might be a good idea (if there isn't already a way I just don't know about).

Of course the easiest way is to use the Posable installation. For that, you would open up the Action you used to export your model, rotate the thumbs the way you want them, export the model under another name, unhide all of the hand bones by holding down the shift key and unhiding the "left_hand_sizer" and "right_hand_sizer", delete all of the thumb bones, drag the thumb bones from the newly exported model into your character and run the InstallRig plugin.

The second way to rotate the thumb bones would be to drag all of the thumb bones that are children of the "left/right_hand_IKFK" and "left/right_hand_geom" bones (they are both found as children of the "left/right_hand_sizer" bones) to the "left/right_finger_thumb_control" bones, rotate that bone in bones mode using rotate mode and then re-parent the bones the way they were when you are done. If you want to correct the model's geometry as well, hold the "Ctrl" key down while rotating.

Hope that helps, Rusty.

David or Mark...

Thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Rusty

Of course the easiest way is to use the Posable installation. For that, you would open up the Action you used to export your model, rotate the thumbs the way you want them, export the model under another name, unhide all of the hand bones by holding down the shift key and unhiding the "left_hand_sizer" and "right_hand_sizer", delete all of the thumb bones, drag the thumb bones from the newly exported model into your character and run the InstallRig plugin.

The second way to rotate the thumb bones would be to drag all of the thumb bones that are children of the "left/right_hand_IKFK" and "left/right_hand_geom" bones (they are both found as children of the "left/right_hand_sizer" bones) to the "left/right_finger_thumb_control" bones, rotate that bone in bones mode using rotate mode and then re-parent the bones the way they were when you are done. If you want to correct the model's geometry as well, hold the "Ctrl" key down while rotating.

Hope that helps, Rusty.

David,

What you describe is not possible because the left/right_finger_thumb_control which you want me to move all the children of the left/right_finger_thumb_control to... is also a child of this bone. I can't move the parent and all its children to one of its children... at least not to my knowledge.

Cheers,

Rusty

David or Mark...

Thanks!

Rusty

Hope that helps, Rusty.

David,

What you describe is not possible because the left/right_finger_thumb_control which you want me to move all the children of the left/right_finger_thumb_control to... is also a child of this bone. I can't move the parent and all its children to one of its children... at least not to my knowledge.

Cheers,

Rusty

Well, I've done it several times...so, it's possible. You aren't dragging a parent to a child bone here...anywhere. The thumb control bones are children of the "IKFK" bones (which are children of the "sizer" bones), but that isn't an issue in doing this fix. Drag all of the thumb bones (they are children of the "left/right_hand_IKFK" and "left/right_hand_geom" bones) onto the "left/right_finger_thumb_control" bones (they are children of the "left/right_hand_IKFK" bones), do the rotation corrections in Bones mode and then drag the thumb bones you re-parented back to their original locations.

Hope that helps, Rusty.

Hope that helps, Rusty.

Well, I've done it several times...so, it's possible. You aren't dragging a parent to a child bone here...anywhere. The thumb control bones are children of the "IKFK" bones (which are children of the "sizer" bones), but that isn't an issue in doing this fix. Drag all of the thumb bones (they are children of the "left/right_hand_IKFK" and "left/right_hand_geom" bones) onto the "left/right_finger_thumb_control" bones (they are children of the "left/right_hand_IKFK" bones), do the rotation corrections in Bones mode and then drag the thumb bones you re-parented back to their original locations.

Hope that helps, Rusty.

David,

Hey, sorry. We have a communication glitch LOL. :-)

Okay, at first I thought that you wanted me to do this:

TFix-1.jpg

Image 1

Obviously wrong... now, I think maybe you want me to do this:

TFix-2.jpg

Image 2

Please help me understand. Here's an extra picture in case you need to draw some pictures.

TFix-3.jpg

Cheers,

Rusty

You only move the bones that reference the thumb.

Oh damn I knew that... but does image 2 indicate the areas to take them from and where to move them to? I think I need a nap. :-(

r

Edit: Sorry for the brain fart. After reading everything again, I'm almost certain I see light.

You only move the bones that reference the thumb.

Oh damn I knew that... but does image 2 indicate the areas to take them from and where to move them to? I think I need a nap. :-(

r

Edit: Sorry for the brain fart. After reading everything again, I'm almost certain I see light.

I'm pretty sure you understand, but I'll re-state it to be safe. As Mark said, you only re-parent the bones with thumb in their name.

Hope that helps, Rusty.