Hash, Inc. Forums

Captain America from "The Ultimates"

Hey everybody...

As the time with my family gets shorter and shorter I find myself with little spare time. One day after work a friend of mine wanted to go to the comic shop. As you might have guessed I picked up 2 volumes of "The Ultimates" by Mark Millar. If you're a comic fan, I would highly reccomend it.

Anyway, I was inspired by the style (which is really groundbreaking) and decided to make this quick little "doodle" in a rare free afternoon that I found. Chances are, I won't be able to finish this...but here's the torso.

1.JPG

Modeled from scratch except for the temp belt buckle and the textures are a combination of materials, dark trees and maps.

Hope you like it!

Lee

Very nice work. It even inspired me to try something new: modeling! :lol:

I really don't know what I'm doing, but I'll try it anyway...

I just drew some simple contours that I thought would work with splines on this image:

post-7957-1191218528_thumb.jpg

I then just laid out some splines to match the symmetry, and then sorta moved the cps around. I got something that looked like this:

post-7957-1191218539_thumb.jpg

post-7957-1191218534_thumb.jpg

I really need a lot more practice (or a first attempt) at modeling the different areas of the body. I just kind of winged this one. Do you have any pointers about the areas like the knee? Right now it just kinda looks like another muscle; probably make it more square in shape.

Wow! Thanks everybody... I wasn't expecting this kind of feedback for a simple torso...but thanks just the same. You're comments were really generous!

Don't they let you use laptops in the mission field? I'll send you one.

Haha...I can see that scenario being bad either way it goes. My companion's wondering why I spend so much time by myself and walks in to find a computer on my lap....yikes! HOWEVER, you can send me one when I get back (so I can work with the production team that you'll have by then) :D

Way to go!, Shoot ,that would have taken me a year to model and texture and that's not much of a stretch.....

Just keep going with it Mike! You start to find things to get around and things to get through quicker... just takes a lot of practice, which is awesome when it's something like modeling.

Very nice work. It even inspired me to try something new: modeling! :lol:

I just kind of winged this one. Do you have any pointers about the areas like the knee? Right now it just kinda looks like another muscle; probably make it more square in shape.

Hey Matt it's looking good! If you don't mind, I made some critiques on your picture:

mattattempt.JPG

There's a lot of cases where the natural curve of a spline just won't work. For the knee, you should tweak the horizontal bias handles until it looks more square like you said. Also, your muscles don't seem to have any weight to them (I mean, the models muscles, not yours personally :) ). So for the quadricep on the right I drew in how I would make the splines. See how they sag so that it appears the muscles are being pulled downward? This makes the characters more beefy and less balloon-like.

The spline that says: "profile" is the way I would make that spline look, you guessed it, in profile. See how in your reference picture that it kind of bends inward at the spot? I would pull that spline back and then use the bias handles on the vertical spline to create a similar effect.

It's a great start though! You can keep posting here if you'd like!

It is so amazing how well you texturings work... you should write some tutorials for your unwrap-processes and the textuering itself...

*Fuchur*

Thanks a lot! At this point there actually hasn't been too much unwrapping, and what there has been has been very similar to the way that Will Sutton describes in his great tutorial. A tutorial like the one that I would write would involve a lot of cross A:M/Photoshop work.

Since I don't feel like I have the time or the motivation for that: here's a quick texture breakdown of Cap. Remember, these textures are temporary, and I will (or would) unwrap it all later and use this as a base for the final textures.

texturebreakdown.JPG

Also, here's some modeling tips and a wire of the torso, the belt and buckle are temporary, btw.

wire.jpg

Thanks again everybody!

Lee

I think I need to go less advanced for my first attempts at modeling people. I don't have a good grasp on anatomy yet either.

lol...I know what you mean.... this was my 3rd model EVER in A:M...yup...I'm a comic junky through and through...but look at how terrible it is.

batman0.jpg

See? You shouldn't give up yet. I don't think that this model is too complex for you at all! You're just about the most knowledgable person out there at A:M. Tell you what, if you want some good comic book/anatomy model sheets for your first try, just let me know. They're easy, all you have to do is follow the lines. Don't give up!

Lee

I just noticed something, the red strips aren't symmetrical about the y-axis. How hard would would it be to use a decal there?

The belt buckle looks a lot better. Did you slim up the torso, or is that a perspective change?

If I could get away from looking at technical pieces of A:M and actually start using it as an artistic pallet I could probably make a good character. The scientist inside me wants to explore all the nooks and carnies for some odd reason.

My thrird model was probably... a box. Maybe a reflective sphere. Before I had A:M, I was using Punch Super Home Suite, which allowed my brother and I to build houses, and it even had a cad editor. The only thing missing was a good surface properties editor and renderer. When I got A:M, I just started messing around with features, and I haven't really stopped.

Hey everybody, I found an hour!
Please find more hours! I love your work. Great start on your model

When I got A:M, I just started messing around with features, and I haven't really stopped.
If its any consolation, I've learnd alot, and I mean alot from your messing around:)