Hash, Inc. Forums

General Grievous

I don't know whats really been going on lately.. I have projects that are going no where and seem to not understand what to work on.. So basically for the past few months I have had nothing to do.. So i wanted to get back to the animation I love.. even if its just for my own fun..

I decided to go with General Grievous.. a model I've been wanting to do since i just started my star wars movie project (a movie sadly to say may never be done...). but I wanted to go a different way with it this time.. as many of you may notice.. when I do WIP's I usually show you a LARGE chunk of the model done.. then minor tweeks.. or just finished parts of the model till the whole thing comes together. Mainly cause I want it to look the best it can :).. but this time I decided to show a progress report at the end of eatch day.. to show the "work in progress" behind the model. and to be honest I was about not to post anything today cause I wasnt happy with how much I got done and how messy it looked.. but then I realised i was getting back to old habbits.. so heres what I have so far

I started with the head as I do with all of my character models.. I gota work with the weird line things above the eyes.. tweek them up a bit.. as well as figure out some things about the back of the head.. very few references on that part lol. The eyes will most likely be done by tomorrow as well as filling up the head (Grievous is a little empty headed at the moment :D)

Expect much more smoothing, tweaking and modeling done tomorrow

C&C is much apriciated

~Kevin

post-8907-1190089821_thumb.png

Don't be to bummed out. I have ideas for things id like to model but can't find images that will help me out to much.

As for the model its looking good. Needs your typical smoothing in certain parts. But you seem to be well aware of it. So I will just chill out and wait to see what progress you make for tomorrow.

Next Update

I'm giving this update sorta earlyer cause im sorta tierd and just wana lay back the rest of the day :D

So I updated a few parts and added things.. I still gota work with the eyes.. they were driving me mad xD and i may re-do those ear things before putting on the flaps, expect more updates tomorrow ^_^

C&C is much apriciated

~Kevin

post-8907-1190155235_thumb.png

Update time

Okay.. soo I did some work today.. alot of the stuff I did i had to de-do so it dosn't look like much... I still have to add detail on his ear flap things.. edit up the weird ear muff things.. eyes still need work.. and back of head needs to be made lol.. now I may or may not have a progress report tomorrow.. if not, you guys wont be getting one till saturday lol.. but by sat i will have all of head done and hopfully all of his mechanical neck..

C&C is much apriciated

~Kevin

post-8907-1190260490_thumb.png

Thanks for the great coments guys xDD It always makes me happy (and sometimes work with more confidence xD) When people like my work!

Once again, no updates for today.. im heading out in 20 mins.. and wont be back till late tonight.. but i expect by tomorrow to have all of his mech neck done.. and hofully more done to his head.. and thanks lee xD i do like those wrinkles to but they still need alot fo work to become greivous eyes.. and the hard part is that the left eye is dif then the right one.. so i still got that xDD and i still gota finish off his ears "no detail on them yet.. sorta just rushed them by lol"

And yes banano.. i do plan on animating this monster xDD would be pretty hard though.. specially head movements..

Thats all folks xD

~Kevin

Update time

It's that time again folks :D the next update on my general grievous

So, I got a bit of what I wanted done.. His mech neck is basically finished.. other then a few random wires I need more ref on... I finished his ear muff things and even the back of his head.. I still have to finish his ear flaps and his eyes still need work.. they dont look very grievous like to me.... and no wireframe shot for today.. seeing as I'm having internet probs and your lucky to get this short of WIP xD (the angle the render is in dosnt show the neck update very well.. realised this after rendering) I'll only be working for a bit tomorrow cause i got a family thing.. but from monday to thursday expect daily updates

Also.. If anyone has noticed.. iv changed the WIP render eatch time xD loking for a good one.. Lee made this lighting set up for me and im pretty happy with it xD so my renders will prb look like this from now on.. Thanks again lee xDD

C&C is much apriciated

~Kevin

post-8907-1190520610_thumb.png

A very small update for today.. not much time to doo anything.. I finished off his ear flaps.. and tweeked the weird thing in the back of his head.. i also added an extra layer of eye lid if anyone an see..

and i tried to make it darker for you phatso... even though this is a WIP and that wasnt his final colour lol

Much more for tomorrow everyone

C&C is much apriciated

~Kevin

post-8907-1190565968_thumb.png

Hey Kevin great work! The level of detail here is great! If you really want a colder color for the WIPs try changing the skylight color to more of a blue and put the intensity back up to about 2.5 (or wherever it was at). The backlight could then be a warmer color or even a green.

Great job again!

Lee

I'm actually gunna stick with the previous colour.. after all it is just a WIP and once deceld and such.. will look much more acurate

A quick small update I wana give here.. not the final one for the day but just something I wanted to show what I was working on.. I'm making General Grievous' Gut Sack right now.. i think i got it right.. i didnt spend to much time on the guts cause you wont get to see them to often anyways xDD

C&C is much apriciated

~Kevin

post-8907-1190666169_thumb.png

Good thoughts on color and waiting, but I just want to chime in with, your color's not far off. Maybe a tint of green? ::shrug::

I think what's very... Evil about his look is the sharpness. Almost everything comes to a point. Very rigid, yet elegant, and smooth. (What a bad guy, eh? ;) )

Texturing should add to it as well, a nice battle-worn look. :)

OKay guys, the update for today.. not as much as i thought though.. its just adding the sack to the head.. tomorrow I'll be working at making the outer body shell.. hoping to get most of that done :P but we'll see what happens..

You're doing a really fantastic job, Kevin! Especially on keeping the elegance of the lines and curves! Even on something as incredibly un-elegant as a "gut sack." :-)

Thanks :D largento! and you know.. theres nothing more elegant then a sack of guts :D

Hey Kevin, had to chime in - nice work! I hope this will be finished with as much detail as you've given thus far. Keep it up.

Thanks eric, but you know.. my detail will be as detaild as grievous is :) trying to make this as acurate as posible

Good thoughts on color and waiting, but I just want to chime in with, your color's not far off. Maybe a tint of green? ::shrug::

I think what's very... Evil about his look is the sharpness. Almost everything comes to a point. Very rigid, yet elegant, and smooth. (What a bad guy, eh? )

Texturing should add to it as well, a nice battle-worn look.

I never really thought WIP colouring was all that important :P and like the modeling.. texturing will turn out as acurate to the model as i can make it :)

Well thats all for tonight folks.. watch for the update tomorrow

C&C is much apriciated

~Kevin

post-8907-1190692230_thumb.png

Absolutely amazing Model !! and Yes...a challenge to rig and animate.

(could you share the details of your lighting setup, please? - also very nice)

The lighting is nothing special.. since my family cant really afford getting me an upgrade... im using a version without AO.. so its just a skylight with some key sun lights?

Hey everyone, while I was searching though my computer for grievous pics for more references I came across something.. Aparently.. I atempted to make this model before :D and by the looks of it.. was about 2 years ago.. tell me how much my modeling has improved :D

post-8907-1190746887_thumb.png

Wow, great work on the gut sack! I think that the term gut sack is great in and of itself...but nice job!

Absolutely amazing Model !! and Yes...a challenge to rig and animate.

(could you share the details of your lighting setup, please? - also very nice)

The lighting is nothing special..

lol...thanks Kevin!

Nancy, the lighting is Yves 89 light skylight at a light yellow color set at 2.5 percent. I then used two klieg lights, both z-buffered soft shadows. I used one as my key from the right to help make details stand out and I used a blue-ish one in the back to simulate a kind of moonlit look. For a realistic model like this I used really desaturated colors on all of the lights.

Again great work Kevin! You're modeling has improved a lot...but this old one isn't too terrible ;)

Lee

I didnt mean to offend you lee xD

Okay.. so for todays update.. im not to happy.. I didnt get as much as i wanted done.. dad took the computer too much today and im lucky i got the time to render this update.. and since this part is very odly shaped.. and i had very little references.. and it didnt turn out right i think :( I may try some tweeking on it tomorrow.. but all aside after some tweeking tomorrow, im gunna make the rest of the torso and as much of the legs as possilbe.. so here you go guys xD expect MUCH more tomorrow...

C&C is much apriciated

~Kevin

post-8907-1190776980_thumb.png

You made the head before, and then forgot you did it? Very strange. 'Course, I do that all the time, but I've got an excuse, I'm old enough to be your grampa.

What were we talking about? Where's my medications? Why are all the doors locked on the inside? :P

Anyway... it's coming along nicely. Not just a good model technically, but loaded with personality. Too bad the torso hides so much of that nice gut sac work, the juxtaposition of biology and technology makes him more menacing.

*sigh* I'm kinda feeling down today everyone ): i tried to work harder today then the last few days.. yet turned out with less to show for it.. now my pa is wanting to kick me off so i dont even have time for a proper WIP render... so a quick shot of what I got.. Hopfully there will be more and better things to show tomorrow..

~Kevin

post-8907-1190856230_thumb.png

I always thought Grievous had a grasshopper look to him. ;)

Hey man, I know how you feel. When I was really learning A:M, I had to share the only computer that could run it with 9 other people. Well, more like 6. Not everyone on my family uses it. ;) That was one computer out of 2!

Now we have... Several (never enough... ;) ). Now I'm the "head IT guy", the one who fixes all of them. I sure wish we could go back to just having 2 computers. ;)

All that to hopefully put a smile on your face. :)

Your model ROCKS, man! I'd never finish what you finished in such a short time! What you did until you got bumped off I would need a week for. :P;)

Keep it up! Slow and steady!

Haha, dont worry guys. No way im gunna give up on grievous.. just some weird things going on xS and sadly.. Dad needed the computer about ALL day today.. so nothing really at all to show you tonight.. that and im gunna be gone friday and saturday.. and robably busy sunday.. So it pains me to say.. no more updates till monday :( but "I asume" I will have modeling of general grievous done by next week (I hope)

• 2 weeks later...

Woah.. sorry guys.. I havn't posted an update for over a week.. I hope you arnt ticked xD I've been having modeling block.. and have been sick the past few days and can't really work when im sick.. just can't concentrate... Anyways.. heres all the stuff you've missed.. The legs are ALMOST done.. just one more peice for the upper legs and once coloured they'll look much more acuarate.. I was also wondering if you guys would like me to post references to lemi know if I'm doing it right..

Im going to be busy tomorrow and the thanksgiving day off.. but starting tuesday im sure ill be back on the daily updates.. once i feel better too..

C&C is much apriciated

~Kevin

post-8907-1191712002_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Wow.. hehe sorry guys xD its been kinda a long time since i posted.. anything.. i dunno.. for a few weeks i got nothin done ;3; so i worked REALLY hard this week for you guys so here you go.. i got modeling done (but however as usuall a few tweeks most likely needed) his arms are finished off.. and once hes rigged youll see them split xD

Im going to start texturing next.. however im not to bright on the topic.. anyone know of any good deceling and bump map tutorials?? any info would help alot xD

C&C is much apriciated

~Kevin

post-8907-1195174632_thumb.png