Hash, Inc. Forums

Going Tribal

Hey everyone I am new to this whole experience so I decided to get everyones feed back on my simple image.

fun.jpg

1. I would have loved to try to join some of the parts with hook, Some odd reason I wasn't able to hook the images to make it look like it had more flow. So I went with intruding the different parts of the model.

2. I have no clue how to play with the lighting or contrast to make it look better. An tis would be cool.

Welp hope everyone likes my simple design remake. :D

looks cool, yeah sometimes connecting part can be hard but finally getting it down is satisfying. if you want a nice rendered look simply make one light on the model(delete the first ones), you can do that by right clicking on the choreography screen and going to new. choose a klieg to start and make sure its pointing on the model(so that you can see the model well). then edit the models material settings, you can do this by making a new material(double click the materials tab) and draging it on your model tab. then you can edit the material to get it to look how ever you want, lastly just render...hope that helps.

Pretty cool phoenix design. (okay, maybe you didn't intend it to be a phoenix, but...)

What do you plan on doing with it? Right now it looks bas relief. It would also look cool as a tattoo for a character or insignia on a shield or aircraft.

Keep at it,

Steve P.

Thanks for some info on how to make it pop Mage. I will goof around with it later to see how the different settings and camera angles play a roll in the look and feel of the design. Though I am overwhelmed by it all.

LoL it is a Phoenix tribal design. I wanted to start off with something that had 1 basic shape and flowed throughout the design. Its funny when I look at it its obvious which part was first and which part was last. I think I might have gotten the hang of it near the end., I am just sad I could do the parts of the design with hooks. Which I got to work on the giraffe a few days back. But which seemed to not work now. ( course I probably was doing the clicking wrong)

I put it on a shield for the fun of it.

Sheild0-1.jpg

it would be interesting to see a shaded wireframe view of that.

Master2007-09-1314-53-21-07.jpg

LoL its a little messy, But hey I'm still new. I think the total patch count was 2288. It didn't take me too long to do either projects if i wasn't watching t.v during it. I saved both the image and the rotoscope. So I thik in a few months I will try it again. and see if i can lower the patch count and improve the overall look of it model wise.

For know I need to translate what Mage told me to do. Which is confusing me ...

Cool! That would be great as a tattoo.

I'm too young to get a tattoo,So maybe in a few more years. As for using it on a character. I think it would add to much to the patch count which is around 1688. Id probably just use the rotoscope as a decal.

Anyone have any links to playing with contrast and such to get different looks and feel ?

Nice design ..I took the picture off your original post and went into photoshop and selected the object and created a path that I exported as an illustrator file.

Imported it into AM through A! wizard and got a pretty close copy.

Here's a render

funbird.jpg

Just showing away to get a model off of a picture

That is awesome. Could you please provide more detail (maybe in a new post) on how you went about that? Is is possible using other photo software, or is this a "Photoshop only" type thing? I'm new to AM but have been using image editing software for a while. I would feel a lot more comfortable doing what you just did and then manipulate the model.. Seems like you just cut out HOURS of work to me.

A'kid - what Mage is getting at is, the difference between an impressive model (like yours) and a knock-your-socks-off one is in how you detail the surface and how you light it. You already have what looks like a good computer generated model. What you want now is to make it so real it seems you could reach into the screen and touch it.

1. Decals, when you can use them, are magic. When you can't, consider creating (or importing) a procedural (mathematically generated) material. Start by taking the ones in the library and drag-dropping them onto the model. Then look in this forum for links to 3rd-party materials and try those. Finally, create your own. It would be interesting to see the marble-material exercise in TAoA:M applied to your model. (For future reference, keep in mind that procedural materials take much longer to render than decals.)

2. Lights are magic. People who tend to focus on the model and forget about how it's lit are passing up a very powerful tool. As the French impressionists would have said, it's almost more about the lighting than the model. Try playing with the lights, you'll see what we're talking about.

You mentioned patch count. A:M does not require nearly as dense a mesh as polygon programs. You might want to make a copy of your model and experiment with eliminating splines to see how far you can go before you start damaging it - I think you'll be surprised. While an obsession about low patch count can become a vice - in particular, it can hamstring you when it comes to animating - in general, go light on the mesh.

A'kid - what Mage is getting at is, the difference between an impressive model (like yours) and a knock-your-socks-off one is in how you detail the surface and how you light it. You already have what looks like a good computer generated model. What you want now is to make it so real it seems you could reach into the screen and touch it.

1. Decals, when you can use them, are magic. When you can't, consider creating (or importing) a procedural (mathematically generated) material. Start by taking the ones in the library and drag-dropping them onto the model. Then look in this forum for links to 3rd-party materials and try those. Finally, create your own. It would be interesting to see the marble-material exercise in TAoA:M applied to your model. (For future reference, keep in mind that procedural materials take much longer to render than decals.)

2. Lights are magic. People who tend to focus on the model and forget about how it's lit are passing up a very powerful tool. As the French impressionists would have said, it's almost more about the lighting than the model. Try playing with the lights, you'll see what we're talking about.

You mentioned patch count. A:M does not require nearly as dense a mesh as polygon programs. You might want to make a copy of your model and experiment with eliminating splines to see how far you can go before you start damaging it - I think you'll be surprised. While an obsession about low patch count can become a vice - in particular, it can hamstring you when it comes to animating - in general, go light on the mesh.

1. I don't really plan on doing any decals on it. I think the decals was a reference to using it on another model or something. As for doing a marble test on it. I have tried various things and so far nothing really stood out in my eyes as a "WoW" factor. I tried some other material I found here and there, but I am not sure if i need to play with setting more, or if it would be a better effect with light placement.

2. I did try to play with the lights for a little while. An I did get some very nice looking images. But basically I just moved them around, moved them forward and backward to see the different effects. I am still confused allot about all those settings. I remember seeing some info on what the settings do on the site with some pictures. But I can't find the link anymore since I need to use it.

I definately know I could drop the patch count by almost half. I figured out how to do hooks again ( i was letting go of the mouse button to early) An then just stretching the extrude points more I could as well.