Hash, Inc. Forums

Dressing a character

Fox Raptor

Hey everyone,

Been working on a model of Kisuke Urahara from Bleach for the past couple weeks and so far, I'm liking what I've got. However now I'm on the task of dressing the man and it dawned on me that the more robe-style attire of his 'wannabe kimono top' is a little more complicated to work with than I anticipated. So I wanted to know if anyone had any good suggestions on modelling that sort of thing. I went ahead and attached my reference image if anyone needs an idea of what I'm working on.

post-443-1189295170_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you guys soon.

Hi,

First, to be sure were on the same plain, you would not model a body 'under' the clothes (or model a body and then 'dress it')... unless you were intending to use cloth for everything and I can't even think of such a thing without shivering in terror! Years I have worked on a simple T-shirt (the latest cloth implementation may allow this now but... lots of work).

Secondly, I can't think of any tutorials off hand (except those on videos or in books that you must purchase). Hopefully someone can but if no one else replies its because they read the post, can think of nothing and move on. I just replied 'cause I hate it when I post a question and no one replies LOL.

Good Luck,

Rusty

PS: make sure you search this forum, ARM and a general goggle search. Make sure you go through the Tutorials and Tech Talk forums. And as an aside, people have been know to get flamed if they don't do their homework before posting a question... not to say you haven't!... just a tip.

Hi,

First, to be sure were on the same plain, you would not model a body 'under' the clothes (or model a body and then 'dress it')... unless you were intending to use cloth for everything and I can't even think of such a thing without shivering in terror! Years I have worked on a simple T-shirt (the latest cloth implementation may allow this now but... lots of work).

Secondly, I can't think of any tutorials off hand (except those on videos or in books that you must purchase). Hopefully someone can but if no one else replies its because they read the post, can think of nothing and move on. I just replied 'cause I hate it when I post a question and no one replies LOL.

Good Luck,

Rusty

PS: make sure you search this forum, ARM and a general goggle search. Make sure you go through the Tutorials and Tech Talk forums. And as an aside, people have been know to get flamed if they don't do their homework before posting a question... not to say you haven't!... just a tip.

Thanks muchly.

Anyway, the way I'm working is that I have a kinda place-holder body that I was using as a form to build the clothes over. I've been working on it and have been doing alright(Least in my opinion), but I mostly was asking if there were any tricks I should be aware of. You mentioned some books that might contain something useful, perhaps if I could get a PM or something with some titles?

As for searching the forum, I've run a few searches and mostly come up with hits that reference using an enlarged copy of the body to make a shirt or pants/shorts. I checked ARM as well and found mostly the same. As for Google... eh, my results there got me more clothing stores than tutorial sites. I appreciate the heads up though.

The latest (or any really) A:M The complete Guide book has some info on creating clothes. Also, look at the clothes on models on the AM CD and both the Extras CDs. Hell when I first started I 'amputated' cloths from all the models I could find and saved this stuff in an AM library then I'd use these as a base to start from. There are a few very good video tuts though I can't remember where these are -- some of the older AM Sig tapes and/or tuts from Anzovin Studios.

Lets see... "3D Human Modeling and Animation" by Ratner has some nice tips on creating clothes. I think '3D Photorealism Toolkit' and 'Advanced 3D Photorealism Techniques' both by Flemming have some info on this subject. Go the your local library.

More then the modeling is the texturing. Mostly bump maps (multiple maps laid over each other on the same stamp); softening maps (soft splotches of gray on lighter gray), cloth texture (take a picture) and wrinkle maps (these are all gray scale). The specularity (maps or properties) helps change the material type.

For the modeling, 3 ring joints, low density mesh in general and wrap the edges so no patch edges show. Peak splines for creases or seams. Search on buttons for how to do those (surface or spline constraints).

This is all for clothes that do not use cloth. That's a whole another animal.

Wish I could be more help.

Rusty