Hash, Inc. Forums

Robbie Sinclair

age234

I've been working on this in bits of spare time I manage to carve out now and then - 10 minutes here and there, basically. It's Robbie Sinclair from the TV show "Dinosaurs" (I couldn't come up with any original ideas that were interesting enough). I plan on modeling the whole thing, texturing, rigging, and eventually animating as well.

This is the first character model I've really committed to in A:M, since I don't really consider myself a modeler, but I want to get better.

I know I have to work on the CP layout, parallel rows are getting pretty dense in some areas. I've had some problems with hooks (they never seem to want to work, is there a trick to making hooks?) It also needs smoothing out on the snout and side of the head.

I'd love some constructive suggestions and anything that will help me make it better.

post-1063-1189049293_thumb.jpg

post-1063-1189049301_thumb.jpg

• Hash Fellow

That looks like you know what you are doing. I don't see any obvious outrages.

That long, skinny five point patch above the corner of the mouth might end up being a crease problem. Five-pointers like to be fat and flat.

When you say hooks don't work, do you mean they just don't function? If that's the case, open a simple primitive from the library and practice. If necessary, hunt down the old tutes on this forum.

If you mean they crease, yes they often do. Only 4-point patches are essentially crease-free, because the math that defines them is unambiguous. 3 and 5-pointers and hooks can crease. Rules of thumb:

1. Put hooks only across almost-flat patches if possible. The more bent-up a patch is, the more likely the hook will crease. If necessary, make the hook into a spline and continue it on into a flatter patch, and then make the hook there.

2. Try to move problem areas (there are some with any model) to where they will be hidden. For example, don't use a hook (or a 3-pointer) in the middle of a model's forehead. Continue the spline up into the model's scalp and put the hook there, where it will be hidden by hair.

3. Limited tweaking of bias handles can often work magic. Don't tweak them too far or they can backfire when you animate.

4. Keep in mind that there are times when you will want a crease (edge of eyes, nose) and 3-pointers and hooks can be handy there.

I just did a model whose scalp makes him look like he was in a car accident. Don't care, hair will cover it.

p.s. dang you, it took me a year to get as good as your first try.

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions, everyone! :)

When you say hooks don't work, do you mean they just don't function? If that's the case, open a simple primitive from the library and practice. If necessary, hunt down the old tutes on this forum.

Thanks for the tips. The trouble I'm having is that I try to add a hook, but it adds a CP to the spline instead. I did manage to get one to work on the side of the head by the bottom gill-type thing, but I haven't been able to repeat it. Does it only work when joining two separate pieces of geometry, as opposed to ending a ring of CPs on an existing surface?

Nice model! As has been said, it's abit dark so it's hard to critique, but it looks close enough. Maybe the neck is abit long front to back? Not sure. Have you seen the size of those models in reality!

Dinosaurs-DVD-2-web.jpg

Nice splinage on that but the non-wire frame mode render needs to be a little lighter so we can see it better... Or did you render on a Mac?

Yes, this Macbook's screen is extremely bright (I really should get a CRT to test these things on). I'll rerender it brighter after I fix the spline layout.

Thanks again everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I've worked on the spline layout some more. I've tried to move the 5-point patches away from high-deformation areas, and I've also removed some unnecessary splines with hooks (now that I've figured them out).

Is it a good layout for rigging and facial deformation, or where could I improve it?

[edit] Also, reading through some of the earlier posts, I don't want to misrepresent myself - this isn't my first-ever character model. I've done a fair amount of character modeling in other software for school with polys and NURBS. But this is my first real attempt at character modeling in AM (my personal software of choice).

post-1063-1189976255_thumb.jpg

post-1063-1189976267_thumb.jpg

Looks better indeed. Maybe one spline could be deleted/redirected round the mouth, but it's not totally necessary. I think it should animate well.....I'd advise doing facial defomations before texturing in case it doesn't.

All right, I've started to work on the jacket and arms.

I watched an episode to get reference for the body, and I noticed something. The character has a habit of putting his hands in his jacket pockets all the time, and doing gestures from inside the pockets, moving the jacket around. This is getting a little ahead of myself since it deals with rigging, but would be the best way to pull that off? I don't really want to get into cloth simulation if I don't have to, is it possible to rig something like that?

post-1063-1190043615_thumb.jpg

post-1063-1190043622_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've finally had some more spare time to work on this. I've copy/flip/attached everything (mostly manually; the automatic command often flips along the wrong axis :( ) and have worked on the lower body. All that remains is the socks and shoes, and some details of the jacket such as buttons and the pockets, and probably more wrinkle detail on the jacket sleeves.

As an aside, having done more organic modeling with polys and NURBS than with AM patches, I'm really starting to appreciate the methods AM uses in this area. It's incredible modeling the leg, tail, and abdomen separately and then being able to elegantly attach them together the way AM does. I'm really having a fun time with this. :)

post-1063-1192995044_thumb.jpg

post-1063-1192995053_thumb.jpg

Lookin' good! :)

I've copy/flip/attached everything (mostly manually; the automatic command often flips along the wrong axis

When you do "copy-flip-attach" always make sure that your geometry is centred around 0,0,0. ;)

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind :)

Very nice. It also helps if.....once you have half the mesh selected for flipping.......to hold down shift and select part of the spline you want to flip on. Then AM knows which way you want it to go better.

Finished up the feet. I had forgotten about the shoelaces, I guess those will have to be clothsim'd or something. Another rigging issue to solve when it comes time.

Now to improve the realism of the jacket cloth, and do the pockets.

post-1063-1193077138_thumb.jpg

post-1063-1193077146_thumb.jpg