Hash, Inc. Forums

Gumbo

Dhar

Hi folks,

I needed a character that I can compete with in animation competitions. So, I decided to build one with the goal of making it as universal as possible and, with David's help, will have the awesome rig used in TWO.

I started with the head first. That's how I always start my drawings. Linguini, of Pixar's Ratatouille, is my inspiration. I'm following two DVD tutorials, relying heavily on Barry Zundel's (Bizzle) character modeling Disc 1, and augmnted with hints from William Sutton's Modeling a Gorilla tutorial.

Your critiques and insights are most welcome.

post-5367-1188847499_thumb.jpg

post-5367-1188847506_thumb.jpg

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

great looking character - just the right amount of pathos - looks like he would be fun to make fun of.

I am no modeler - but I suspect you might want an extra ring of splines around his mouth, and you probably want to get rid of that 3 cp patch around his nose corner.

(Hoping the more expert modelers will set me straight)

Nice model! Yeah, another spline ring around lips and probably eyes too. Make sure there's a spline ring close to the lips on the inside of the mouth too for those Ooo sounds. That cp with 3 splines coming out of it (naughty).....the discontinuous spline should probably continue up to join up with a spline coming out of the eye. The spline you replace could go over the nose bridge.

Finally, maybe abit more chin/jaw? It might be hard to get his mouth opend wide otherwise.

PS Also, you probably would need another spline between the eye and nose. Without it, the nose will turn to mush when he blinks.

Thanks for the great feed back guys. I tweaked the splinage. I don't know how I missed them.

Yeah, this is my first character model. I modeled simple stuff in the past, but this is my first serious modeling. Like they say; need is the mother of invention :)

On to the body.

post-5367-1188861664_thumb.jpg

post-5367-1188861672_thumb.jpg

Which splines are you referring to Ken, Mark? Would you please post a pic with instructions?

Dan, my intention for this model is for character animation practice. Nostrils, hair, textures, clothing etc.. are not detremental to the mechanics of character animation. If this turns out alright I'll donate it to the community and it'll be up to the individual to add nostrils, hair etc.. :)

Here's a turnaround

Gumbo_Rotate.mov

Those were the other things I wasn't going to get into. ;)

Get into it... get into it.... I need all the help I can get.

Ken, could you please explain, or break it down for me? Especially around the cheek.

Thanks.

To make it easier to rig, I think eight splines for each eye socket and twelve for the mouth would be the ideal. Any number could be rigged, but, those numbers would give you the easiest weighting. Very nice job so far, Dhar!

Good rule of thumb to go by. Thanks David.

Ken, could you please explain, or break it down for me? Especially around the cheek.

Well, the yellow lines are joining up splines and the red ones are deleted sections of splines. It's hard to explain without pointing. :D

This is turning out to be a teriffic thread for anyone starting to model a character.

Mark please keep posting your advice to model for better animation. It seems there is lots of stuff for a smooth model, but not so much for smooth animation.

Ken, could you explain the "x" above the eyebrow? Maybe a rough before and after pic?

Dhar, keep it coming :)

Great work Dhar. I'm astounded that this is your first model. I guess I've looked at your post work and imagined that you had modeled the characters in those.

I had lots of suggestions for your splines on the first post but, LOL, by the time I got to the end of this thread that was taken care of!

For the last month and a half I've been doing nothing except working on adapting the Squetch rig. My unending questions have almost created a Squetch FAQ all by themselves.

Cheers,

Rusty

That looks great! Though shouldn't he have no expression at the moment? He looks like he's smiling.

When you're, you're right Mat.

Here's he is less smiley. I also made the head bigger to give the design more balance.

post-5367-1188880361_thumb.jpg

post-5367-1188880368_thumb.jpg

WOW ! well I don't post too much anymore, cause its usually just jibber jabber from me, but in this case I'll risk it. First off, I must say, that is a great looking character there Dhar, alot of personality going. BUT mainly this is a very tutorial-ish thread I'm just getting back to some modeling myself and this thread has put me into the correct mind- state for the task....... Thanks Fellas

Dhar

I was going point out a nasty CP on the characters face but it looks like everyone beat me :rolleyes:

Nice face there, although I wonder that that body it a tad too long?

Coming along nicely, I'll bet your learning alot. I did with my first real model ;)

Really great observations guys. Thanks :)

Toned down the "child" body by accentuating the chest area, enlarged the hands and put a tad more definition to the shoulders and forearms.

Where else do you think I can tweak to make him look 20-something?

post-5367-1189268366_thumb.jpg

The arms, shoulders, chest and legs from about mid thigh down look great, but the midsection still looks like it needs attention. The shoulders and chest look like they are morphing into what you need, but the morph has stopped just above the sternum. Maybe a few strokes of definition around the mid section, a little less uniform roundness. This is going very well indeed.

It does seem a little strangs that the upper torso has alot of detail (including the arms), and the rest down has no difinition. I would go on way or the other with this I think. I like the over all shape though. And I love the hands an arms.