Hash, Inc. Forums

Project "FS Clemenceau"

agep

Hi all

I've started up yet another ambitious modeling project. For those of you who remember the "KM Bismarck" project, I can say that this new project is in the same genre. This has been my 'lunch break project' at work this month

For those of you who is not familiar with FS Clemenceau (R 98), aka Le Clem, its a French aircraft carrier of the French Navy, serving from 1961 to 1997. Don't ask me why I chose this one, I have no clear answer, other than it is a beauty

At this point I've mainly carved out the hull and just started to add details. I got a long way to go before it is finished. I'll probably start making the superstructure within the next few weeks.. oh, and don't forget about the aircrafts:p I'm looking forward to make those

Let me know what you think so far

Best regards

Stian

clemenceau3.jpg clemenceau2.jpg

clemenceau1.jpg clemenceau0.jpg

Dhar, what you don't know is that Stian is building miniatures. Remember the coins Stian floated into the air, one of his first cool projects? The Bismark is actually no bigger than one of those coins.

Ok, Stian, fess up, show the actual scale of your battleships to put Dhar at ease. ;)

I agree with Dhar. We should join Stian's armada, lest we suffer his evil wrath.

Looks like AO to me Eric. Stain, try using 80% Occlusion. It brings out more details in darker areas without over exposing light areas. Have you tried using the blue Global Color and yellow sun? It seems to make models more believable.

Thanks

is the red hull just an attribute or a decal? AO?
The hull consists of an gradient material red->black->grey. AO with a sun is used.

try using 80% Occlusion. It brings out more details in darker areas without over exposing light areas. Have you tried using the blue Global Color and yellow sun? It seems to make models more believable.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out. What RGB settings do you recommend on the blue and yellow? I guess it must be subtle?

oh, and by the way, is it the Ambiance Intensity or the Ambiance Occlusion you you would like to se be set to 80? The renders above are 80, 100

For the sky color, find a picture of a sky you'd like your ship to be in, and use that color. The Hue 215 palette is a good choice for skys. You can try RGB(135, 180, 238). For the sun, try RGB(245, 238, 202). You'll have to adjust the Intensity on the sun light. The width of the light will also affect how realistic your ship looks. It's a big object, and might generate a softer shadow than a model of the same thing. The settings for this should be Ambient Intensity 100%, and Ambient Occlusion 80%. You can create multiple exposures like you would an HDR image, process them together, and then tone map it so you can make a brighter sun.

Here is a new update. I'll keep with the simple AO render while I model.

I've adde a few details to the hull, but more to come. I've also started modelling the superstructure. But at this point, with so few details, she looks a little retarded :P

clemenceau10.jpg clemenceau11.jpg

clemenceau12.jpg clemenceau13.jpg

clemenceau14.jpg clemenceau15.jpg

It's not just the great models that Stian makes, it's the rate at which he seems to turn them out... I can't keep up.

Do you have a day job? Or is that modeling in AM?

You must have quite a powerful PC to model in such detail, do you assemble separate sections in the choreography?

Thank you so much guys:)

Do you have a day job? Or is that modeling in AM?

You must have quite a powerful PC to model in such detail, do you assemble separate sections in the choreography?

Yes, I actually do have a regular dayjob:) This project is as mentioned a lunch break project (and whenever I have some spare time), since I use most of my available time after job to work on TWO.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 2048MB RAM, but I do have to break the model up in pieces and assemble them in an action (Tirpitz consisted of 20 separate model :blink:)

Best regards

Stian

Perhaps we should have a ship-building thread.
Yeah, that would be fun:9

ummmm How long do you get for these lunchbreaks?
I don't have time to eat much, thats for sure :P

Here is a new update. Some details added to the superstructure:

clemenceau20.jpg clemenceau21.jpg

clemenceau22.jpg clemenceau23.jpg

clemenceau24.jpg clemenceau25.jpg

Nice!! Just a few weeks ago my wife and I spent the day touring the "Midway" -- its here in San Diego now a museum its absolutely radical. I took a lot of pictures for reference for modeling a space ship. It really is interesting. It seems like all of the jets, support aircrafts and helicopters must be there (I'm sure the newer stuff isn't but there's a lot). and you can sit in the cockpits of most.

Cheers,

Rusty

Thanks guys

Here is a new update. I've added a lot of knick-knack on the superstructure. Mast and radars and stuff like that. And a crane standing right behind the superstructure

clemenceau30.jpg clemenceau31.jpg

clemenceau32.jpg clemenceau33.jpg

clemenceau34.jpg clemenceau35.jpg

Are you in the navy or, have a day job which gives you special knowledge or access to these ships of war... or, did you inherit lots of images of these ships?
Google is my friend:)

Basically, I search for images on the internet, and in this case I also bought a scalemodel of the ship that I use as reference

New update!

I've modelled a few vehicles and a aircraft (more aircrafts to come). I've decided to keep the models very simple to be able to finish up this project within near future. I've attached wire renders of the new stuff

Let me know what you think so far

clemenceau40.jpg clemenceau41.jpg

clemenceau42.jpg clemenceau43.jpg

clemenceau44.jpg clemenceau45.jpg

clemenceau46.jpg

wire0.jpg

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

Thank you so much guys!

Stian, I find it interesting that even though the vehicles are low-res, you still put beveled edges on them. Do you spline the bevels manually, or do you use Yves' primitives?
I consider beveled edges to be one of the most important things to make when it comes to mechanicle modelling. Very important to have bevels when it comes to lighting. Makes a huge different. I often use the primitves as a startingpoint (using a corner or something of the model)

Stian, So realistic!!!, what lighting setup /settings do you use when rendering....has that been asked?

Excellent!!!

Thanks. The lighting is simply regular AO with a sun. I hope to be able to make a scene for it when I'm finished

Stian,

Your just about ready to go to war! You've got this down to an art......

I tried AO on a simple model of mine and it was taking forever to render, maybe my settings?

How long for you on your model to render with AO & 1 sun?

Hi

You control the quality of the AO render with the 'Occlusion Sampling', The lower the setting is, the more grainy the render will be and faster it will render. Sampling set to 10 is ok for testrendering. 25-40 is ok for final rendering. I feel there is no need to go much higher since the cost of rendertime is to much compared to the quality. Those abowe was rendered with sampling set to 40 and took between 1 too 2 hours to render at 2048x1024

ao.JPG

Dude, that thing just came out of the ship yard!

As usual, you make me sick. :P I'd like to see you flub just ONCE, Mr.! Just show us you're human! ;)

Everything DOES look just a bit too... Clean. :P But... Anyway.

Could I ask for a wireframe of the antenna stack? Seems you went from one update without it to the next with it... How you got that detail in such a short jump... Totally bewildering.

(I've been having a lousy time lately, and it was great to see your work. It made me smile. :) Thanks.)

Keep up the awesome work. :)

• 2 months later...

I'm a little late uploadeing this:p

First of all. Thanks to all who woted for my image at the image contest that was last month. I thought I should upload the image here too

I've also uploaded the image to CGTalk in case someone wants to leave a comment

Best regards

Stian

05.jpg

Ya know all this work is so gorgeous, but the renders of just the ship alone have such grandeur, and this setting takes that away and makes it look tiny. I hope you plan to show it to us in another setting, or even a camera angle that features the ship in dramatic foreground, and the paint cans and scissors etc. as background elements...? Just a suggestion. the work is really killer!