Hash, Inc. Forums

The Revenge of Red Riding Hood

satyajit2000

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all,

Ken, a pair of lace is a nice idea. I think I'll update it. The model is made by me. Nep helped me texturing the characters. He is helping me texturing all of them.

Largento, let me double check on the fastners.

More are coming

Satyajit

Beautiful work!

What type of rig are you putting in there?

Thank you Dhar, I'm using TSM2 rig for the skeletal animation (I had to model the mesh and skin it in Ver 11.1) and for facial animation I implemented the Jason Osipa set of shapes and most of them are controlled by the pose sliders. Only some essential things like eye targeting are in the face rig. The Jason Osipa book is really inspiring. I wish there were more books like this.

Check out my next character model, please tell me if you like it

ralph3d_med.JPG

3D Model 2 - Ralph

Satyajit

Thanks Largento, I fixed the fastners.

Some critics are disliking the skirt of Red. Do you think it's odd?

Ken, thanks for pointing out that. I'll check it out.

black_mage I thought the brown tail will add some contrast. Let me rethink.

Satyajit

Some critics are disliking the skirt of Red. Do you think it's odd?

I like the 2 tiered skirt - not sure why some would dislike it - Perhaps if the bottom tier were all lace? (but I like it the way it is)

I agree about changing the color of the tail - perhaps a bluish silver grey ? love the suit, & earrings on the wolf.

Very engaging characters

Ditto on the heels. Canine heels don't touch the ground.

That said, you may have reasons for doing what you did for the sake of some character detail I don't know about. But to me, having the wolf standing on tiptoe, as it were, makes it more menacing.

What kind of voice are you planning to give the wolf?

Ditto on the heels. Canine heels don't touch the ground.

That said, you may have reasons for doing what you did for the sake of some character detail I don't know about. But to me, having the wolf standing on tiptoe, as it were, makes it more menacing.

What kind of voice are you planning to give the wolf?

Yep, I think it's better to have him on tiptoe. Let's see how it looks.

Satyajit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

After a brief break from this project I'm back again.

Here's the first set. Still some work left in it. But couldn't resist from showing it to you guys.

Environment 1 : Red’s House (Exterior)

Red_set_med.JPG

The Set is a hybrid of 3D and 2D mattes. I've tried to keep a hand painted look as much as I can in this complete 3D set.

Satyajit

Wow. And the backgound blends into the set beautifully (perhaps using a painterly post filter would do so even more). Amazing.

As a small crit, I would love to see the straight lines where the house meets the ground broken up abit. Perhaps a displacement map to raise the ground randomly or a barrel to collect water from the gutter. And a gutter. ;)

But this is movie theatre quality stuff.

Edit: As a suggestion, I'd love to see some wallpapers for specific sized desktops. In the future you might think about it.

Edit2: The chimney stack looks odd to my eye....that's not to say it's not valid. Usually, the lower part of the stack is the thickest.

Also, I'd love to know your setup and render times.

3Dartz :

The mountain range is a painted panorama image.

Ken :

Nice suggestions. I'll break up the ground and house intersections. Gutter?! Hmmm. Also, the chimney looks a bit odd to me now. Thanks for the Crits.

Setup - I'm using a dual core athlon 4200 with 1GB RAM(Got to upgrade), 512mb Nvidia graphics. A:M V 14.c.

Render Time - For the Render at the backdrop - 4 mins utilizing single processor @ 1280 x 720 pixel.

Wallpapers? Sure! Let me work on it.

Satyajit

Beautiful, Satyajit!

The texture on the chimney seems to need some attention. It looks like there is a bevel that has dropped it's decal maybe.

Are you using hair for the leaves on the trees? They look so good that I am going to guess that they are cookie-cut patches. :)

Very nice colour matching with your background too!

Bravo!

Beautiful, Satyajit!

The texture on the chimney seems to need some attention. It looks like there is a bevel that has dropped it's decal maybe.

Are you using hair for the leaves on the trees? They look so good that I am going to guess that they are cookie-cut patches. :)

Very nice colour matching with your background too!

Bravo!

Yep, I'll work on the chimney. Alter it's shape a little.

Regarding the leaves, yes they are cookie cut maps. I couldn't do the look with hair/particles. I guess this cookiecuts will hold. Camera won't go near them.

Satyajit

Great set Satyajit! I love it (all the charaters too). We could've used you on TWO.

I agree with the chimney. A few more plants around the house would break up the lines of the house/ground. Maybe some shutters on the windows would help dess it up a bit too.

• 4 weeks later...

great work Satyajit. This is Flog! Hey I wanted to tell you that you have reached the next level in skill. You have gotten even better than before. Truly moving forward and with great speed!

I wanted to commend you on your progress and I noticed you scooped up Neplox! Great artist!

I was going to mention on the girls the mouth area seems to have a little pinch to the cheeks around the mouth. You may want to smooth it out a bit. Especially around the corners of the mouth.

Other than that superb!

great work Satyajit. This is Flog! Hey I wanted to tell you that you have reached the next level in skill. You have gotten even better than before. Truly moving forward and with great speed!

I wanted to commend you on your progress and I noticed you scooped up Neplox! Great artist!

I was going to mention on the girls the mouth area seems to have a little pinch to the cheeks around the mouth. You may want to smooth it out a bit. Especially around the corners of the mouth.

Other than that superb!

Hey, Flog! How are you doing? Long time no see Man!

And well noticed errors. I'll take care of that. Neplox is a great artist and great to work with. Tell us about you. What were you doing until now?

Satyajit

The concept artists are becoming merciless. Nep and Som, my two artists have teamed up, conspired behind me and look at what they've come up with.

Environment Concept Art 1 - Granny's House

ghconcept_med.jpg

I have to do this in 3D, the textures, lights (looking like AO, my god), with the leaves and displacements, fog and what not. And all within my render time per frame. Now, that's something worth challenging. Don't you think?

Let's see how I manage that.

Satyajit

• Admin

Satyajit,

That is simply beautiful. Very nice work from Nep and Som.

Its a great addition to the environment you already have.

I'm sure you are up to the challenge. :)

('Nep and Som' sounds like an animated TV show) ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my take on the Granny's House. What do you think?

Thanks for lending a hand in modeling the house Ken. Waiting to hear your feedback specially.

Environment 2 : Granny’s House (Exterior)

granny_set_med.JPG

The Render times are typically near 3-5 mins depending upon the distance of viewing, and @ HD res.

Satyajit

Looks great! You really should send some of this into 3D World or something.

One question though...in the big image.....the tree and rock on the right don't seem to be casting a shadow. Or maybe the shadow is in a different direction to say the house shadow?

Very good looking set. I like the atmosphere and the variety of textures. Quite a remarkable texturing job on economic models BTW. You've got great design, illustration and painting skills. I like your consistence and persistence.

Just one observation I wanted to say for a while. In your Animation Cookbook, page 13, the storyboard breaks the 180° rules several times. Take care of that. Otherwise, you're doing a fine job.