Hash, Inc. Forums

How to model cars 2...

Xtaz

how much will you pay for the tutorial?  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

this is the continuation of this topic

I can't open a new poll in it then I had to create this new topic

thanks for voting ...

Well, you had 2 weeks for voting. The choice car to be modeled was the BMW 7 Sedan.

Bmw.jpg

I posted a new poll, regarding of the value to be paid for the tutorial. Your answer is quite important.

Xtaz, you should probably pick a complicated car that is going to throw you lots of challenges and have very odd surfaces, so that you can show how to get around pesky patch configurations and how to make it all smooth

I agree with Dan on this one. I am not good at mechanical modeling so any help with harder stuff would be great. Maybe an easy car and a hard car ;).

yeah, but i prefer beginner tutorials rather than advaced tutorials when it comes to modeling, then i'd learn the rest on my own...

The modeling of a basic mech model, in a direct way, uses all the beginnigs that are used in an advanced mech model. You understanding how works the parts and splines, you will be apt to model any type of car...

The tutorial will cover :

- Modeling

- Texturing

- Lighting

Although I would have liked to put free since I have no money to spend on anything, I said 40$. For a very in-depth tutorial on this subject -- including texturing and lighting -- it is well worth 40$.

Sorry to be cheap, but I had to say free. If you can find a good tutorial on modelling for photorealistic people for free, than you shouldn't have to pay on a car. I think that all tutorials should be free, not every one has money to spend on tutorials, especially if they just spent their money on a 3d program., or in my case, a new computer! (Don't worry, I bought mine a year ago, so I'm not in the hole)

Forty dollars would be in the range of the average good tutorial's price...I've paid thirty and fifty dollars before. My opinion is that the cheaper you make it, the more you will sell, so that would make your profit about the same as if you sold it for more. If you can make it about the amount that a person would have on them in any given day, it could be an "impulse buy".

-------------------

EDIT

-------------------

To save yourself some overhead, you could make it a download or you could use the Data CD that you can sell on Cafe Press.

I'm pretty sure I'd pay $40 for it, but I'm certain I would pay $20.

My interest is more in picking up modeling tips and tricks than in actually modeling a car, though. If I were interested in modeling a car, I'd pay the $40 without blinking.

yeah i'm a free person...paying for it i wouldn't be able to do it, 10 to 20$ is ok i guess.

but there are workshops that go through very advanced stuff that cost anyware from 400 to 500$(CG workshops)

if people pay that for a full month class basically, how much would they pay for a tutorial that provides no direct instruction and takes a few days? plus there are DVDs/videos for programs that are 20 to 60$(gnomon). theres actualy a car modeling tutorial in pdf format for 3dsmax thats 117 pages and still going, the tires the rims the exhaust , the body quite alot and its free(link)!

wha i'm saying is your tutorial has to be pretty darn special if you want to charge for it...just my thoughts...

Thanks for all replies friends ....

Following the suggestion of Mr. Sutton, the tutorial´s price will be US$ 19.95 + shipping

Thanks again !!!

Make sure it's in a format we can all use...not some DRM, Windows only format like Rostami uses. I was going to pay for one of his magic tricks but can't view it without access to a windows machine.

How soon do you think you'll have something ready?

• 2 months later...

Hi Spliners ...

The tutorial is being done ... 2/3 complete now ...

Details :

Deadline = Dec,20,2007

Price = US$ 19.95+Shipping

Format = DVD ( MOV H.264 1024x768 )

Duration = +/- 3 horas

Language = Portuguese

Subtilte = English

Extras = Peugeot 307 / Tutorial HDRI+IBL

I produced and attached a compacted version (almost 1 hour in 5 minutes - 14Mb ) of the first third of the tutorial.. i hope you enjoy it ...

bmw7_2.mov